Newbie Contemplating Overhauling Offense/Defense Topic

I have a D3 that has some skill, but we're as athletic as a legless gnat. We're essentially a turnover/fouling machine, although in their defense, they're very good at turnovers and fouls, and that's an accomplishment, right?

I'm way new to this sim, but I have to believe that a large part of our struggles is that we're just not very good basketball players, so I'm trying to find a way to give them (and me) a better chance at success.

Soooo.....bad idea switching over to a motion/zone team in midseason, especially if I'm going to lose anyway and I have to live with these potato sacks for at least two more seasons? Or am I just completely off the mark.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3/12/2014 10:48 PM
I'd say you are right in the idea that fast break is probably hurting you a bit, but that team (as you probably already know) isn't going to win a lot of games no matter what style you run. Man to man is fine, zone isn't going to help you any more. As far as the rest of this season goes I'm not sure that switiching offenses is going to help. Fastbreak might be the worst offense for you to run in theory - but at least you have solid IQ's in that respect - which ultimately means it's probably the best offense for you to run THIS SEASON. Contradictory....probably. 

Honestly if you plan to stay at Wesleyan (home of Beth from the walking dead!!) then I'd start practicing whatever offense you'd like to run next year. Your main goal is should to bring in five new guys who can start next year (AKA cut the rift). So with that said it's not a big deal to switch things up. You can always practice one offense and run another. That way your IQ in let's say motion, can continue to rise but you can still run fastbreak until your IQ's in motion have gotten to the point to where you feel comfortable playing them.
3/13/2014 12:33 AM
thanks. we don't have any open schollies next year and I was afraid of even cutting one loose, much less 5 or I'd get the Devil Spawn reputation rating. the idea of splitting playing and practice, though, is probably one I'll look at.
3/13/2014 2:15 AM
pretty much echoing what thinair said.
if you're going to be there for 4+ seasons then switch things up to whatever u want to run.  Yes you will struggle but if you're in it for the long haul then go for it.
What you normally want to do when you switch schemes is start day 1 by practicing the sets that you want to run and throw a bunch of minutes into it (like 25) and run the sets that you're currently running and are good at (fb/m2m).  I see that you have 7 juniors so this same squad will be back next year.  Max out the minutes, run what you know and try to squeak out a few wins this season and then once you get the ratings up a bit (next season) then switch over to the new scheme.   It normally takes a good 2 seasons to switch things up so be patient with it if you decide to change

3/13/2014 3:06 AM
dont disagree with what was said, but in games where you think you have no chance of winning you might as well run the offense and defense you plan to switch to - playing them boosts IQ
3/13/2014 5:54 AM
Posted by tcplotts on 3/13/2014 2:15:00 AM (view original):
thanks. we don't have any open schollies next year and I was afraid of even cutting one loose, much less 5 or I'd get the Devil Spawn reputation rating. the idea of splitting playing and practice, though, is probably one I'll look at.
TC, don't worry about reputation. Cutting sim guys doesn't hurt much. Seriously, if there's one thing you do, it's to cut players and bring in some better ones. Feel free to sitemail me, with that said, there are coaches who have been on here for wayyyyy longer than I.
3/13/2014 12:47 PM
Newbie Contemplating Overhauling Offense/Defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.