Mordecai has wrapped up its 31th season, and has just rolled into its 32nd this morning. This is a rare opportunity to join the oldest, always-private league in HBD. We normally only have 1-2 openings per season, and they are normally filled without even posting a classified.
Following is the only available team:
Nashville Ninjas (NL South)
After 19 seasons with a single owner, this team has had 2 different owners over the last 2 seasons. I thought we had a new long-term owner take over last season, but the veteran of 105 HBD seasons seems to have gone AWOL from HBD. Several poor seasons in a row have built up a stable of top draft picks, and the team is finally on the upswing again. This is a franchise that could be ready to dominate soon.
As for the world itself:
Mordecai is a great, low-key, competitive, yet friendly private league. No infighting, no drama, no traderaping... just a bunch of guys interested in competitive play.
We average only 1-2 teams turning over each season, so you can count on world stability and guys with a real stake in their franchise's future. Almost 2/3 of the world has been here over 10 seasons, and some of our "newer" owners are our strongest. You won't find a more stable world..
While we don't have any hardcore membership rules, this is what I would like to see in a new owner:
- I prefer an owner who doesn't have several other teams. You're a member of Mordecai, I want you to pay attention to this team. I find that owners of large numbers of teams are not as attentive. They aren't necessarily bad owners... they just aren't as attentive. In general, I tend to shy away from anyone who has 5 or more teams already.
- A proven track record. I will look at your history. If you have a bunch of one-and-dones, or have a history of your teams getting worse rather than better, we're probably not a good fit. I pride myself on finding owners who will commit to long-term, competitive teams.
- I want someone who can show they know how to play the game without tanking to get there. I understand the need to rebuild, but don't plan on winning 40 games year on your way to "rebuilding". It IS possible to rebuild and be competitive at the same time.
- I like owners who are active in world chat. Contribute something to the world.
- Owners should be willing to maintain their minor league system. I dont expect you to sign overpriced free agents to try and win in the minors... but I dont think its asking too much to sign your draft picks, maintain an un-fatigued pitching staff, promote appropriately to prevent tons of retirements, etc.
- I have been known to consider HBD n00bs in the past, but you'll really need to impress me. A n00b sitemail with just "I'm interested" probably isn't going to get it done.
Anyone who can meet (or exceed) these criteria will likely be a good fit for Mordecai.
I know I sound like a hardass above, but this is only in the "find a new owner" phase. Once we get rolling, I chill out. :)
If you are interested in joining our world, please sitemail me ASAP. Thanks.