5 Season Coaching cycles Topic

With as many issues that have come to light with the 3.0 engine, what is the logic behind keeping the 5 season coaching cycle for non-elite BCS or non-BCS schools? The game is definitely having issues keeping human coaches engaged at every level and in every world. There aren't many 12 world players out there anymore. The recruiting advantage and subsequent talent advantage at elites makes it very difficult to put a quality non-elite team on the field in 5 seasons (or even 10 seasons, for that matter). Coaches at D1 at non-elite schools should be able to stay as long as they like (or are willing to pay for). Isn't the bottom line for the game getting coaches to pay for seasons??? Getting to D1 takes a decent amount of effort and know how to begin with. Being tossed after 5 seasons is a disincentive to move up to D1. Doesn't make sense logically or financially for the game.
3/17/2014 7:43 PM
Is that for real? I'm at 1AA right now, and was considering moving up to 1A after the current season. But if I'm going to be fired after 5 seasons, then I might just stay where I am. Is it possible to get an elite team directly from 1AA?
3/17/2014 8:13 PM
yes it is possible to get an elite from 1AA.  i was qualified for florida state today after winning my conference at app state in leahy
3/17/2014 8:39 PM
I suppose it depends on your mindset.  When I was fired from VA Tech(my first d1 job) it motivated me to figure out what the heck I was doing.  I am now at a NON BCS school really figuring things out.  Consequently my recruiting classes are way better at Ball state then I ever did at VA Tech.  When I move on to an Elite school I will definitely be ready for it and will be able to keep it for a long time.

If I got an elite position fresh out of d1aa I would never of been able to keep the job.  No doubt in my mind.

I for one am glad subpar coaches get fired.  The elite schools would never open up if crappy coaches could keep them.
3/17/2014 8:48 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 3/17/2014 8:48:00 PM (view original):
I suppose it depends on your mindset.  When I was fired from VA Tech(my first d1 job) it motivated me to figure out what the heck I was doing.  I am now at a NON BCS school really figuring things out.  Consequently my recruiting classes are way better at Ball state then I ever did at VA Tech.  When I move on to an Elite school I will definitely be ready for it and will be able to keep it for a long time.

If I got an elite position fresh out of d1aa I would never of been able to keep the job.  No doubt in my mind.

I for one am glad subpar coaches get fired.  The elite schools would never open up if crappy coaches could keep them.
The standards at elites need to be stiffened. My second stint at Florida is unacceptable by me and I would think would be by the alum and admin. But I still have a  job. I think the only place firings need to occur are at elites. If anything bring in another 3-4 elite programs and make them tough to stay at.

The standards at non elite BCS programs needs to be slackened. If a fan of Iowa State wants to coach his favorite team he imo should never get fired. Even if he is a lousy coach. It serves little purpose for him to be fired. Most of the guys who are lousy coaches are going to probably move on on their own accord if they are getting ate up alive and consistently putting 3-10 seasons together anyway. And if he's going 7-7 at Iowa State that ought to be good enough anyways. Just my thoughts.

3/17/2014 9:28 PM
Posted by jibe on 3/17/2014 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tigerpark135 on 3/17/2014 8:48:00 PM (view original):

The standards at elites need to be stiffened. My second stint at Florida is unacceptable by me and I would think would be by the alum and admin. But I still have a  job. I think the only place firings need to occur are at elites. If anything bring in another 3-4 elite programs and make them tough to stay at.

The standards at non elite BCS programs needs to be slackened. If a fan of Iowa State wants to coach his favorite team he imo should never get fired. Even if he is a lousy coach. It serves little purpose for him to be fired. Most of the guys who are lousy coaches are going to probably move on on their own accord if they are getting ate up alive and consistently putting 3-10 seasons together anyway. And if he's going 7-7 at Iowa State that ought to be good enough anyways. Just my thoughts.

+100
3/17/2014 11:04 PM
Adding half a dozen elite schools would be fine by me. My point was more for non-elites. Coaches at non-elites should be able to stay as long as they are willing to pay. I agree that many coaches just want to coach at their alma mater and don't really care if they make the NC or not.
3/18/2014 6:38 AM
100% agree. I'm in my 4th year in the MAC and struggling to beat Sims, even though my players have improved considerably. I'm no great shakes in the coaching department but I would like to remain at my MAC school. With the sim losses it's hard to see getting past year 5.
3/18/2014 9:10 AM
what if you want to coach at your alma mater...say Iowa who plays at least 3 elites every season and maybe 4 in conference...and the coach there is putting up 4-9 season after 4-9 season but wont ever leave?

the requirements on elites do need to be raised and the requirements on non elites could stand to be lessened, but they should not be removed.
3/18/2014 9:18 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 3/17/2014 8:14:00 PM (view original):
Is that for real? I'm at 1AA right now, and was considering moving up to 1A after the current season. But if I'm going to be fired after 5 seasons, then I might just stay where I am. Is it possible to get an elite team directly from 1AA?
you wont necessarily be fired if you can be even semi successful.  the first season, all you need to do is win the same number or more games than the team won the year before.  The second season, pick up a win or two.  If you can get to consistently 9 wins a season and a decent bowl appearance with the occasional win, you wont ever need to worry about getting fired from a non elite.
3/18/2014 9:20 AM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks all. It was sounding like you get fired after 5 years no matter what. I'm all for firings for coaches who do not bring improvement to the program.
3/18/2014 3:09 PM
By the end of the 5th year you are expected to win a level 3 bowl or higher. But I agree with the idea that you should be given a pass if your improving your team.
3/18/2014 6:04 PM
You wouldn't get a pass in real life. If you can't make a bowl in four years bye bye. Go to a non-bcs conference and learn D-1 better. Schools who do not even have strong history are letting coches go after three seasons if a coach does not make what would equal to a level 3 in this game. Now I do agree like two more elites need to be added. Like Add Oregon and Georgia and toughen the standards.
3/18/2014 7:05 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 3/17/2014 8:14:00 PM (view original):
If you get fired after 5 seasons in this game you suck and shouldnt be there to begin with.

The standards are ridiculously easy to stay at a position. You will probably drop after year 1 and get a meaningless email about it, but from then on unless you go sub .500 you are pretty much OK.

3/18/2014 7:44 PM
I don't claim to be the greatest coach in the world, but I don't suck at it. I was at Ore. for 5 seasons. Went 5-8, 8-6, 8-6, 7-7, 9-6. played in 4 bowls, won 1 and was fired. Went to Cal. 6-8, 8-6, 8-6, 9-5, 9-5, 4 bowls, won 2. Will be fired in a day or two. Built nice programs for others to coach.
3/19/2014 6:41 AM
12 Next ▸
5 Season Coaching cycles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.