2016 Presidential Race Topic

Posted by RCBracco on 5/28/2016 7:14:00 PM (view original):

Donald Trump supposedly told House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) he supports cutting Social Security but will not admit it publicly because it would hurt his election chances, according to a report in Bloomberg BusinessWeek.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee reportedly made the comments during a May 12 meeting with Ryan aimed at mending ties between the two top Republican leaders, Bloomberg reported, citing an unnamed source who was in the room. (Ryan has yet to endorse Trump.)

“From a moral standpoint, I believe in it,” Trump said of cutting Social Security. “But you also have to get elected. And there’s no way a Republican is going to beat a Democrat when the Republican is saying, ‘We’re going to cut your Social Security’ and the Democrat is saying, ‘We’re going to keep it and give you more.’?”

Trump’s professed opposition to cutting Social Security and Medicare has been both a hallmark of his campaign and one of his greatest departures from traditional conservative ideology. And Ryan, who repeatedly criticized Trump before the mogul effectively secured the GOP nomination, has made proposing dramatic reductions in the popular social insurance programs a defining feature of his congressional career.

Many conservative House Republicans told The Huffington Post shortly after the May 12 meeting that that they were unconcerned about Trump’s public posture on the programs. Several members interpreted him as wanting to extend the solvency of Social Security and Medicare solvency through some combination of the benefit cuts and other reforms that conservatives favor.

Trump policy advisor Sam Clovis had already appeared to reverse course on May 11, indicating that Trump would be willing to consider cuts as president.

Of course, what Trump reportedly said to Ryan is consistent with what he told Fox News host Sean Hannity back in 2011.

Things have to be done, but it has to be done with both parties together,” Trump said at the time. “You can’t have the Republicans get too far ahead of this issue.”

Trump may very well be running his campaign according to beliefs he espoused years ago: Social Security and Medicare must be cut, but telling people that should be avoided, because it is too politically unpopular.

“It is really clear: Donald Trump would 100 percent go along with the Republican donor class position of cutting Social Security,” said Alex Lawson, executive director of Social Security Works, a group that promotes benefits expansion. “He openly says he will lie to the people about it because he knows that the people are against it.”

“In his eyes the ‘moral’ thing to do is to steal people’s hard-earned benefits and not talk about it,” Lawson added.

Social Security, the United States’ public retirement, disability and life insurance program, faces a funding gap beginning in 2034. Without congressional action to either raise the program’s revenues or scale back benefits there will be an across-the-board benefit cut of approximately 20 percent.

The Democratic party has adopted steadily more progressive positions on Social Security in recent years, arguing not only that the shortfall should be closed entirely through revenue increases — such as lifting the cap on earnings subject to Social Security taxes — but also that benefits should be expanded to address a growing retirement income deficit.

Both Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton and her rival Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) support increasing benefits and have pledged that they will not cut the program.

Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.

YES DOUGIE, IT IS A CUT AND PASTE SO KISS MY ***

Smart guy. Trump's right... He won't win by saying hes going to slash Social Security. He'd have to do it after he's elected.
5/28/2016 7:38 PM
OMG, politicians say things they don't mean just so they can get elected? How can that be?
A Clinton would surely never do such a thing.
5/28/2016 7:47 PM
So Moy, what you are saying is if elected Trump only plans a one term Presidency?
5/28/2016 8:25 PM
Posted by RCBracco on 5/28/2016 8:25:00 PM (view original):
So Moy, what you are saying is if elected Trump only plans a one term Presidency?

Things have to be done, but it has to be done with both parties together,” Trump said at the time. “You can’t have the Republicans get too far ahead of this issue.”

5/28/2016 8:52 PM
Trumps a master negotiator. When both sides come to terms he will be hailed as the greatest president ever regarding Social Security!!!
5/28/2016 8:53 PM
What? Trump has made insincere statements which will help him to get elected? How unfair; Hillary would NEVER do that.
5/28/2016 9:02 PM
Hillary supports more coal mining and equal pay for women who don't work for her and more money for people that do work for her and other things being investigated by the FBI.
5/28/2016 9:09 PM
Does President Obama ever discuss the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor while he's in Japan? Thousands of American lives lost.

Don't believe the biased and phony media quoting people who work for my campaign. The only quote that matters is a quote from me!

I am always on the front page of the failing @nytimes, but when I won the GOP nomination, I'm in the back of the paper. Very dishonest!

The media is on a new phony kick about my management style. I spend much less money & get much better results! What we need as Prez!

The failing @nytimes wrote a story about my management style & that I don't have many people. I have 73, Hillary has 800- & I'm beating her.

I (we) broke the all-time record for most votes gotten in a Republican Primary - by a lot - and with many states left to go! Thank you.

The U.S. has 69 treaties with other countries where we would have to defend them and their borders. How nice, but what do we get? NOT ENOUGH

5/28/2016 10:43 PM
^^^All in a days work for the wonderful DONALD TRUMP!!! TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/28/2016 10:44 PM
Posted by moy23 on 5/28/2016 10:44:00 PM (view original):
^^^All in a days work for the wonderful DONALD TRUMP!!! TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought you made a big deal about this being a fantasy sports site and not a place to discuss politics.
5/28/2016 11:02 PM
Trump now ahead 48-35 with independents. Was previously 48-39 Hillary.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-05-27/why-recent-national-polls-should-worry-hillary-clinton?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+quicksnailsfeed+%28quicksnailsfeed%29
5/28/2016 11:04 PM
Posted by RCBracco on 5/28/2016 11:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 5/28/2016 10:44:00 PM (view original):
I thought you made a big deal about this being a fantasy sports site and not a place to discuss politics.
Oh no... you misunderstand. I think its funny that you insult other people by saying you have a higher IQ when you're arguing politics on a fantasy sports website. A smart person would be arguing politics somewhere else where it matters. You'd think a high IQ would know this. Call it irony.
5/28/2016 11:15 PM
Posted by Bernie10025 on 5/28/2016 11:04:00 PM (view original):
Trump now ahead 48-35 with independents. Was previously 48-39 Hillary.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-05-27/why-recent-national-polls-should-worry-hillary-clinton?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+quicksnailsfeed+%28quicksnailsfeed%29

A recent Clout Research poll from the State of Oregon (full pdf below), not exactly well known as a bastion of all things republican, shows candidate Donald Trump beating Hillary Clinton 44 to 42%.

However, with Independent Voters, Donald Trump isCRUSHING Hillary Clinton by 27 points 53% to 26%.

5/29/2016 4:47 AM
5/29/2016 3:07 PM
Trump's mostly self-funded campaign now apparently needs help.

A report from the Washington Examiner says Trump representatives told Senate Republicans that the campaign "won't have much money to spend fending off attacks from Hillary Clinton" before the Republican National Convention in July.

Trump officially secured the party's nomination for president last week. Before that, the real-estate mogul's campaign said it would partner with the Republican National Committee to raise as much as $1 billion for the general election.

According to the Examiner report published Friday, the notice from Trump's campaign came after his senior adviser, Paul Manafort, met with some of the party's leaders last week.

"They know that they're not going to have enough money to be on TV in June and probably most of July until they actually accept the nomination and get RNC funds," the Examiner reported, citing an unnamed GOP source familiar with Manafort's comments.

Trump has mostly bankrolled his own campaign during the contentious primary season, reportedly spending tens of millions of dollars so far, according to Open Secrets.

The campaign earlier this month released documents that were submitted to the Federal Election Commission that claim Trump has a net worth of more than $10 billion.

5/29/2016 3:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...345|346|347|348|349...575 Next ▸
2016 Presidential Race Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.