2016 Presidential Race Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure I didn't say "no idea whatsoever" although it might fit. They know where they stand, they just don't bother to look any deeper than Dem/Repub.
Well, that's ridiculous. "They know where they stand" on political issues but that's not good enough for you?

Because they should look deeper? But they don't? Because you know them all personally? How deep should they look to satisfy your requirements?
If they don't know where the candidates stand, what difference does it make if they know where they stand?

Quit being an argumentative dick, if you can, because I know you know there are millions of people who just say "Who's the Dem?" and vote for them.
You know each party has a platform, right? And most national candidates stake their positions along that platform (with some exceptions, WV Dems for example).

In a general election, knowing where you stand on the issues can point you to a party platform and make the voting decision easy.

Are you a pro-life, low-tax, gun owner? I can't imagine there's a reason for you to dig deep on each national candidate. The Democrat isn't the candidate for you.
Don't give a **** about abortions, can't imagine anyone saying "tax me more" and yep, like my guns. Yet, shockingly, voted for Mr. Clinton twice. As I recall, I thought he had a better plan for the economy. Which has nothing to do with pro-life, low tax or guns.
So you aren't pro-life. What's your point?
That a conservative voted for Clinton, twice, because his economic plan was better.

Do you think most candidates have economic plans that are not tied to pro-life/gun ownership?
8/29/2016 4:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:43:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure I didn't say "no idea whatsoever" although it might fit. They know where they stand, they just don't bother to look any deeper than Dem/Repub.
Well, that's ridiculous. "They know where they stand" on political issues but that's not good enough for you?

Because they should look deeper? But they don't? Because you know them all personally? How deep should they look to satisfy your requirements?
If they don't know where the candidates stand, what difference does it make if they know where they stand?

Quit being an argumentative dick, if you can, because I know you know there are millions of people who just say "Who's the Dem?" and vote for them.
You know each party has a platform, right? And most national candidates stake their positions along that platform (with some exceptions, WV Dems for example).

In a general election, knowing where you stand on the issues can point you to a party platform and make the voting decision easy.

Are you a pro-life, low-tax, gun owner? I can't imagine there's a reason for you to dig deep on each national candidate. The Democrat isn't the candidate for you.
Don't give a **** about abortions, can't imagine anyone saying "tax me more" and yep, like my guns. Yet, shockingly, voted for Mr. Clinton twice. As I recall, I thought he had a better plan for the economy. Which has nothing to do with pro-life, low tax or guns.
That a conservative voted for Clinton, twice, because his economic plan was better.

Do you think most candidates have economic plans that are not tied to pro-life/gun ownership?
I was using an example of someone who placed a high importance on those three issues. I'm sure there are always exceptions.

Substitute other issues if you'd like.
8/29/2016 4:55 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Do you understand the difference between rich small business owners/college professors and poor inner city/poor rural voters?
In terms of people that tend to vote a certain way?

No.

Do you?
I'll help you.

One group is successful, one is not. It makes sense for the successful group to keep voting the same way. Not so much for the other.

Which has been my point.
8/29/2016 5:08 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:43:00 PM (view original):

I was using an example of someone who placed a high importance on those three issues. I'm sure there are always exceptions.

Substitute other issues if you'd like.
I can substitute any issue or you can.

Now answer the question. Do you think most candidates have economic plans that are not tied to "--insert issue of choice--"?
8/29/2016 5:10 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 5:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2016 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/29/2016 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Do you understand the difference between rich small business owners/college professors and poor inner city/poor rural voters?
In terms of people that tend to vote a certain way?

No.

Do you?
I'll help you.

One group is successful, one is not. It makes sense for the successful group to keep voting the same way. Not so much for the other.

Which has been my point.
So your point is that if poor people vote for the opposite party, their lives will get better?
My point is, if my life remains ****** after pulling the same lever my parents did 20 years ago, maybe I should explore other options. IOW, educate yourself on the candidates. Maybe those nasty Dems or hateful Repubs have something that might work for you.

And, with that, I'll leave you be. You're doing the badluck thing and I'm just not interested. Have a great day!!!
8/29/2016 5:12 PM
How long have you held onto that? You take these forums too seriously.
8/29/2016 5:17 PM
true dat
8/29/2016 7:12 PM

My family was not what I would consider "poor", but we were definitely lower middle class in terms of our household economic situation. And my dad was certainly not an uneducated man, but his politics were very simplistic and naive.

The only conversation about politics I ever had with him was shortly after I turned 18 and was eligible to vote for the first time. My dad briefly talked to me about how I should always vote Democratic because Democrats "looked out for the poor people", and that the Republicans only "looked out for big companies and the rich people". I'm pretty sure that my dad always pulled the Democratic party lever when he voted. I loved and respected my dad, but even at 18 I could tell that this was not a good approach to politics and voting.

That was a common mentality where I grew up back in the 70's, and I'm pretty sure that there's still a lot of that around now. Not only where I grew up, but in other areas of the country as well.

You're being extremely naive if you think that there's not a lot of people who think that way, i.e. "I only vote for Democrats because Republicans are bad".
8/29/2016 8:50 PM (edited)
Oh Huma.... 3rd time was the charm.
8/29/2016 8:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...461|462|463|464|465...575 Next ▸
2016 Presidential Race Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.