how to beat Joss Topic

I'm going to try one more open league. Have not played in ages.

I know I'm going to face 08 Joss many times.

Any thoughts on how to best beat him ?

I generally go with a speed team in Petco, but open to other ideas

3/28/2014 10:04 AM
sneak into his hotel room and smother him with a pillow
3/28/2014 10:15 AM
These days I'm trying to win OLs with home run hitting teams.  It's not working out quite as well...
3/28/2014 10:45 AM
post the mlb # i'll join and then you can beat him.  the last time i used him he went 24-23 with 2.89 era and 1.12 whip thats about normal when i use him no matter the park (target,briggs,polo,astrodome) 
3/28/2014 3:32 PM
I would go with doubles hitting teams in a doubles park and high OBP batters. He has a low pitch count. You have to beat him the way the Yankees used to handle Pedro, get him out of the game asap. 
3/29/2014 7:49 AM
His IP/G is 7.74, which I wouldn't call low.  Even if you're conservative with pitch counts (as I am) and give him 15 pitches an inning, that puts him in the range of 115-120 pitches.  And his BB/9# is 0.99, which is excellent -- 23rd best in the sim among pitchers with 200 or more innings.  He's just not going to give up walks (we also know he doesn't give up home runs).

His OAV# is very good -- .210 -- but there are over 120 starting pitchers in the sim with a better OAV.  I think this is the "weak spot" to exploit. Draft lefty hitters with high averages, don't waste salary on walks and home runs, and put them in a park that's a plus for singles and a minus for home runs.  And if you want to emphasize doubles you can choose Hilltop or League Park (II).
3/29/2014 1:07 PM
I stand corrected on beating Joss crazystengel, but winning with HR teams I suggest using the Kingdome, there I have had some success, though I have never won an OL championship. But not because of Joss. 
3/29/2014 3:26 PM
hey crazy just curious on how many starts you would expect to use him at with that 115-120 pitch count i have used him mostly in a 3 man rotation  and generally get 45-48 starts  but with only 90 to 105 setting for his count
3/29/2014 3:46 PM
rjj4191, I rarely use any pitcher exclusively as a starter so I can't answer that question.  But with a pitcher as good as Joss I'd never start him in interleague games, and in all other games I wouldn't skimp on his pitch count.  I guess there could be exceptions (e.g. you've got a pen that included Gagne, Rivera and Eck and they need to get their innings in), but for the most part I'd use up Joss as much as possible against the teams I'm in direct competition with for a playoff spot.
3/29/2014 4:17 PM
i have so freaking much to learn about strategy in this game
3/29/2014 5:03 PM
As to beating Joss, try winding the ball more tightly and bringing in the fences, as well as banning the spitball. It worked before....
4/1/2014 7:41 AM
Remember that you will not only be facing Joss, but the likes other studs as well who have different weak points. An example would be 95 Maddux who has a high HR/9 total. So have a team that can beat em all while utilizing your AAA guys. To beat Joss I usually stack the lineup with lefties that have high averages, speed doesnt hurt either.  Still no gaurentee to beat the cookie monster.
4/4/2014 2:23 PM (edited)
how to beat Joss Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.