Returning coach - Bunch of Questions Topic

I haven't played this game since 2007. Used to know some things, but now I see a lot of new stuff is happening and just wanted some quick advice. Any answers would be hugely appreciated!

1. I read somewhere about there being new positions, however I see no specific information on those positions (FB, ILB, OLB, etc). Where exactly can these positions be found? Does it require certain formations to be played?

2. What would you say is a typical makeup of a GD roster. Obviously there will be some variation based on strategies, but an approximation would be very helpful!

3. Would it make sense to use primarily one formation (on offense or defense), and one alone, or do you think it makes sense to use multiple formations for a team?

Thanks! :)

3/29/2014 7:44 PM
Positions are based upon what formations you USE and where you want certain guys to play. As well as attributes.

typical make up would be 25 and 25 with 2-3 QB's, 2-4 RB's, 6 WR's, 2 TE, 8 OL, 6-8 DL, 5 LB's, 6-8 DB's K and P but it all varies based on formations you run.

One offensive formation seems to be the best and 2-3 Defensive formation but I run 4.

3/29/2014 8:40 PM
That leaves at least 4 spots still...

My own views... If you are going to use a 3-4 or 4-4, you need a minimum of 6 linebackers. It's pretty much impossible to have too much depth on the lines or at DB.
3/29/2014 9:13 PM
Welcome back! I returned about six months ago after a similar break.

1. I read somewhere about there being new positions, however I see no specific information on those positions (FB, ILB, OLB, etc). Where exactly can these positions be found? Does it require certain formations to be played? 

Answer - Go to the Coaching tab and select "Coaching 101".  At the bottom of the page you'll see that you can switch to advanced mode. In that mode you have more control including depth chart management.

2. What would you say is a typical makeup of a GD roster. Obviously there will be some variation based on strategies, but an approximation would be very helpful!

Answer - You can use the follow as a guide and adjust over time based on your experience.

QB 2-4 
RB 3-6 
WR 3-6 
TE 3-5 
OL 6-10 
DL 6-10 
LB 5-8 
DB 6-10 
K 1 
P 1 

Note that the minimum number of players on the chart will only give you 36 players; you'll have to your extra 14 players based on your formations.

3. Would it make sense to use primarily one formation (on offense or defense), and one alone, or do you think it makes sense to use multiple formations for a team?

I think you'll find that you could get by with just one offense but the flexibility of being able to mix up your game plan can be helpful against human coaches. On defense you should probably practice at least two formations to effectively defend against running or passing offenses.

3/29/2014 11:11 PM
If you want to use just one formation the PRO will probably give you the most offensive flexibility. As your only defense the 3-4 allows you to both crowd and drop.

If your going with two, look at choosing a RUN prime from (ND; I Form; WB) and a PASS prime from (Trips; SG).

To use three, just use one of the RUN primes + one PASS prime + Pro for Balance.

Many coaches are winning titles using just one, and others do it with many. WB has kind of lost favor lately, but some guys still win with it. Just recruit, and practice to your particular needs.

We've tried them all through the years, and somehow always seem to come back to ND; PRO; TRIPS / 4-4; NICKEL.

Have fun with the choices, and the best of luck with your program.

3/30/2014 1:22 AM
Returning coach - Bunch of Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.