NFL Draft League #2: Commentary Thread Topic

Here's the commentary thread, so we can keep chatter off the draft thread as much as possible.

A couple quick thoughts from me:

-can't believe Rodgers and Manning fell as far as they did. A couple top ten picks - Moon and Titans D especially - were big surprises.  I was planning to take the Rams' OL with my pick, not thinking a true elite QB would be there.

-after last season (and the results amerk shared) I'm shocked so many RB have gone in round 1, and at the order they were taken. I can see true studs like Sanders, Peterson, and Brown going towards the end of the first round, but I just don't see the appeal in guys like Dickerson and Lewis. All they offer is quantity, not quality, and you can use a platoon to get that quantity.
4/8/2014 3:02 PM
I agree with you tarheel about taking the Rams.  I hadn't planned anything til a pick before mine, when I sent my proxy out.  Figured there are still a dozen good defenses to take at 14, a few of whom should still be there in the 2nd or 3rd, but only two or three dominant O lines.

The Moon pick is what really changed everything.  Hard to believe he was taken before both Rodgers and Manning.  Who knows...with the right offensive scheme, Moon can be just as effecive as either.

The RB's surprised me too.  Most of the 2000 yard guys are gone, with the exception of one I believe, and he didn't go til round 3 last draft.  In fact, I think one or two of the RB's taken so far went in round 2 or 3 last draft.  

Finally, tonyvoss taking BOTH Hirsch and Megatron....wow.  Never woulda thought of that.  Almost forces his hand to take a QB in round two though, or even maybe a 2nd QB as his extra depth player.  Almost too much rec stamina for one QB there
4/8/2014 3:20 PM
The *dominant* offensive lines, Browns and Rams, finished 9-7 and 8-8 - I guess they weren't that dominant.
4/8/2014 3:50 PM
Surprised by how far some really good QBs are falling in this draft.
4/8/2014 5:39 PM
I like Tony's plan. Those at the back end of the draft have the ability to stock up in one direction. I'm sure he can find a QB in rd3/4. 

I'm pleased to get a really fine QB in round 2 (spoiler alert!); last draft the guy I wanted in rd2 was gone, but this time on the board (as tarheel mentioned).
4/8/2014 6:28 PM
I'm stretching things with selecting the Bears def. Much more expensive than last years Chargers def. I actually had the Oilers/Titans def pegged for #1 BUT someone stole them.
4/8/2014 10:00 PM
good thing about the bears is they have a wide range of good Ds at different salaries
4/8/2014 10:03 PM
Very true tarheel
4/8/2014 10:32 PM
I'm sure genco is very happy that I let the Eagles defense fall to him this time...I almost took them again but didn't want too many of the same players.
4/9/2014 10:46 AM
OK - gencos team is terrifying. Every pick he's made so far was a huge value at the spot he got him. Right now his team is pretty similar to mine last year...except he has Aaron Rodgers instead of Philip Rivers. Yikes.
4/9/2014 11:47 PM
I was surprised to get the Packers O Line in the middle of the 2nd round.  I thought they'd go late in the 1st round/early 2nd round like they did in the first draft.

Otto Graham was the #1 player on my board.  When I saw that I had the #12 pick, I was confident that I'd get him.

For their sakes, I hope the guys who took the Bears and Giants defenses realize that they don't have to use the 42 Bears and 51 Giants defenses.  Both franchises have good defenses in the 31-33 mill range.

IMO, Tony did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong in league 1.  I know that he won the title, but his Pythagorem Record wasn't all that awesome.  It was quite good, but Isacqbs58's was better.  I didn't like his (Tony's) playbook either.  He drafted Rob Gronkowski yet used a 1-4-0 set a lot, which meant Gronk was on his bench an awful lot.

Not to pick on Tony too much, but he seems to be a "collector".  He drafts who he thinks is the best player at his spot without any strategic consideration.   It obviously worked for him last time, but without the "Man Of Steel", i.e. 2011 Aaron Rodgers, as his qb and with Brady, Peyton Manning and Brees gone, I don't know if he can expect to get $6 mil worth of production from his 2 wrs.

Speaking of Ike, he spent big on special teams last time.  In big money leagues, spending big like that can give you a slight edge IMO.  I did something like that in another big money league and I wound up in that league's Super Bowl, where I believe Tom beat me.
4/10/2014 3:07 AM (edited)
In my conference title game vs Tony, he did something in our game that according to the website Football Outsiders.com, over the last 4 years, has been accomplished succesfully less than 30% of the time in actual NFL football. 

After I scored a td with roughly 4 minutes left to cut my deficit to 3 points, Tony successfully used up all the remaining time and won.  (The Sim engine kicked a fg at the gun to finish the game with a 6 point loss for me.)

The article I read was about how poorly teams run their 4 minute offense in the 4th quarter with a 1 possession lead.  If any of you saw last season's Saints-Pats game, Sean Payton displayed a perfect example of how NOT to run it. 

I read that article not long after losing to Tony, so that article hit home and it illustrated how cool it was for Tony to do that.

I guess that after sounding a bit crtical of Tony, I wanted to show him a litlle bit of love in case he's reading this.
4/10/2014 3:31 AM (edited)
Posted by tarheel1991 on 4/9/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
I'm sure genco is very happy that I let the Eagles defense fall to him this time...I almost took them again but didn't want too many of the same players.
Many thanks. I would have taken the Browns defense had you taken the Eagles again. Still debating which version of the Eagles D to play. May not necessarily go with the '54 popular version which I have used many times before.
4/10/2014 8:14 AM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 4/9/2014 11:47:00 PM (view original):
OK - gencos team is terrifying. Every pick he's made so far was a huge value at the spot he got him. Right now his team is pretty similar to mine last year...except he has Aaron Rodgers instead of Philip Rivers. Yikes.
I was stunned the Dallas Texans OL was still there.
4/10/2014 8:16 AM
Daunte Culpepper was a really good pick for coolmay. I think he's arguably a top 5 QB, and potentially a top 10 pick in this draft.  I wasn't a fan of the Eric Dickerson pick coolmay started off with, but adding Culpepper and a good OL gives his offense a great foundation.  What kind of defenses will be left when he picks next, though? Leaving it until the 4th round or later is pretty risky. Maybe his offense will be dominant enough that it won't matter.

Speaking for myself, I was pretty happy to get the Cardinals D with my pick. With Manning in tow I was looking to spend less on defense than last year, and the Cardinals '66 D looks like it might do the trick. For under $31 mil you get 79 run, 77 pass, 78 sack, 74 drive.  Pretty solid across the board. INT isn't great at 45, RZ only 60, but for $3 mil less than I spent on a D last year I'm pretty happy.
4/10/2014 11:41 AM
12345 Next ▸
NFL Draft League #2: Commentary Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.