Player growth Minutes vs starts vs distro Topic

Is minutes the only thing that factors into speed of player growth (outside of potential obviously)?  Does a starter getting 20 minutes see the same improvement as a bench player getting 20 minutes?  Does distro play in to it?  If I hide a guy in the corner vs running plays for him, will that change his growth?
4/18/2014 10:03 AM
Quote post by cburton23 on 4/18/2014 10:03:00 AM:
Is minutes the only thing that factors into speed of player growth (outside of potential obviously)?  

work ethic is the biggest thing that affects the speed of a player's growth, outside of practice minutes.

Does a starter getting 20 minutes see the same improvement as a bench player getting 20 minutes?  

YES.

Does distro play in to it?  If I hide a guy in the corner vs running plays for him, will that change his growth?

NO and NO.

4/18/2014 10:47 AM
The only thing I would add, is that I believe a player starting getting 20 minutes will improve his work ethic rating more than the player who doesnt start but gets the same minutes.  It's only a few points difference, but it will help improvement for the future.
4/18/2014 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure starts do bump up the rate of growth. (In other words, a starter getting 20 mpg will grow faster than a bench guy getting 20 mpg.) I don't know for sure whether starts boost growth directly, or indirectly by bumping up WE which then produces faster growth.
4/18/2014 3:26 PM
bh: you know we had this conversation two years ago, right? :) 
4/18/2014 4:35 PM
with all of that in mind, its worth noting that starts will improve iq, independent of the effect of starts on WE.
4/18/2014 4:43 PM
Posted by jtt8355 on 4/18/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Holy cow jtt, you've got a way better memory than I do. :) Nice work - I stand corrected.
4/18/2014 11:25 PM
Jtt what are the biggest factors in improving IQ... I recruited a Freshman Bigman in the Low WE Test of 9 and D+/D+ IQ... After 16 starts and 20 mpg he is 11 WE and C-/C- IQ
4/19/2014 4:28 AM
Posted by jtt8355 on 4/18/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Funny stuff Jtt. When I saw this post, I thought, "I could swear I have been part of this conversation before." Then I saw your link. Sure enough. Good memory.
4/19/2014 8:56 AM
half: high school GPA, practice minutes, work ethic and playing time. i included starts because of this:

will having a team full guys(lets say 10) with A IQ's help a freshman learn the offense faster? (Fregoe - Hall of Famer - 2:51 PM)

No, the only factors that go into IQ improvement once they get to college are playing time, starts, work ethic, practice time and their intelligence.

(from the same dev chat: "Playing time carries more weight than starting - the primary reason for including starts at all in that logic is the assumption that the starters will get more attention during practice than the non-starters."

but there's another developer chat that says:

Will a player who comes off the bench as a Freshman, 15 minutes a game, develop his IQ rating at the same pace as a Freshman player who plays 15 minutes a game but is a starter? (bigteniowa - Hall of Famer - 2:57 PM)

For IQ, only minutes played matter, not whether a player started or not.

so you'll have to make your own conclusion whether starts helps the improvement.

4/19/2014 11:29 PM
jp / bh: i only remembered discussing it before. its amazing how easy it is to google search the forums and developer chats to find what you're looking for (compared to using the site).
4/19/2014 11:31 PM
Player growth Minutes vs starts vs distro Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.