Gridiron Dynasty 3.1 - User Interface Upgrade Topic

GD Faithful,

We have some exciting news to announce:   Gridiron Dynasty 3.1 is coming on May 6th.

Our previous release focused on re-building the game engine.  This release focuses on the interface and user experience.

Many users that visit GD are overwhelmed at the coaching interface – too many settings, textboxes, tabs.  Pages could feel like work instead of fun. Those days are over with this release.

We’ve expanded upon last release’s “Game Mode” concept with the introduction of a “Beginner” mode.  This mode is used exclusively in the D-III worlds; it simplifies most of the coaching pages while creating a level playing field for beginners and veterans at this level.  As you learn the system you will see short explanations that hint at what’s available as you advance to DII and beyond.   We believe these two changes will help us grow (and maintain) the number of users playing GD.  This should be a benefit for our existing and veteran owners – less matchups against Sim AI and larger rewards for doing well (as rewards go up with the number of human coaches in the world).

If you’re a veteran user that’s been playing at D-III for a while, this will present some change. To access all the advanced settings you may be used to, you will need to move to D-II.  To make this transition simpler, we will be temporarily relaxing the criteria needed to move to D-II. We know many of you enjoy playing at D-III because you’re in a conference with your buddies. As a result, we ask conference mates to communicate with one another so you can all move to the same conference at D-II.

Lots of these changes will ease coaching difficulties across all levels and will make running your dynasty easier than ever. At D-II and higher, these changes are to assist you in creating your coaching strategies and all of the previous control still exists.  Screenshots will be coming through the week, please take a quick look at the thread in Critical News that regards this update for some of pages that will be changing.

Most of these changes will not be seen until the first world roll over after May 6th.

We have scheduled two developer chats to answer all the questions you may have.

Pre-Release:  May 1st, 1:00pm – 3:00pm

Post-Release:  May 27th, 4:00pm – 6:00pm

In addition, the new fatigue model will be released on May 6th with the new interface and an upgrade to resolve most of the current significant bugs in the engine. 

We look forward to your feedback once the release is out and you’ve had some time to work with the new pages.  As always, thank you for continuing to play and enjoy Gridiron Dynasty.

WhatIfSports

4/22/2014 10:06 AM (edited)
Will this update also fix the current problems? Ex. fatigue?
4/22/2014 11:03 AM

In addition, the new fatigue model will be released on May 6th with the new interface and an upgrade to resolve most of the current significant bugs in the engine. 

4/22/2014 11:05 AM
Here we go again. 
4/22/2014 11:13 AM
I understand and appreciate WhatifSports reasoning for "simplifying" the game for "beginners", however, as a 1973 graduate of a D3 school, Albright College, I play GD because the idea of coaching my alma mater appealed to me. I am sure many other D3 coaches are where they are for reasons similar. ie, graduate, son or daughter attending the school, geographic location, etc. I intend to remain at Albright for my 20th season and future seasons because of my "connection" to Albright and the "friendly" rivalries I have with coaches that are also loyal to D3. My only hope is that you do not compromise the game at the D3 level to the point where only "beginners" continue to coach at D3 schools.

Albright73
4/22/2014 11:59 AM
I have zero interest in leaving div 3. I'll either keep playing at DIV 3 with the new changes or I'll stop playing if it's not fun anymore. Don't need all the advanced coaching stuff anyway :)
4/22/2014 1:07 PM
I suspect that DIII will not be just for beginners. How you coach your team will change, and the playbooks will be simplified, but they still give you some great control. Also, because of the simplification of the playbooks, you can prepare for your opponents quickly and accurately.

The end result is that each coach will have a better understanding how to control their team, so some of the confusion will be mitigated and allow for coaches to spend their time strategizing rather than wasting time on learning the complexities of our system.  This creates a more level playing field for the coaching section of our DIII and might make it the most exciting league to play in. I know I'll have a few teams in DIII. 
4/22/2014 1:21 PM
Thanks for the clarification oriole_fan. I have enjoyed playing GD for a few years now and I will look forward to the "New" D3 the same way I looked forward to the previous "refinements".
4/22/2014 1:46 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 4/22/2014 11:05:00 AM (view original):

Ah, must have missed that. Thanks. 

I'm glad I have zero interest in D3. That's going to suck. lol
4/22/2014 1:59 PM

Which significant bugs are being addressed?
4/22/2014 2:09 PM
What does "more level playing field" mean? Easier for beginners to win versus experienced coaches with established teams or simply easier to learn how to game plan and make changes in the interface? It sounds like this means more random results at division III, easier wins for new coaches in order to "force" coaches to move up to DII? 
4/22/2014 3:31 PM
Posted by oriole_fan on 4/22/2014 1:21:00 PM (view original):
I suspect that DIII will not be just for beginners. How you coach your team will change, and the playbooks will be simplified, but they still give you some great control. Also, because of the simplification of the playbooks, you can prepare for your opponents quickly and accurately.

The end result is that each coach will have a better understanding how to control their team, so some of the confusion will be mitigated and allow for coaches to spend their time strategizing rather than wasting time on learning the complexities of our system.  This creates a more level playing field for the coaching section of our DIII and might make it the most exciting league to play in. I know I'll have a few teams in DIII. 
"more level playing field.......most exciting league" = more randomness and more headscratchers so anyone can and will win. I think you may want to call it "Gridiron for Dummies!" I think WIS is wanting to kick the veterans that dominate the D3 playoffs out and graduate them to D2 and higher so the newbies will have better opportunities and be willing to stay around rather than just for a season or two
4/22/2014 4:07 PM
Stalagna+1,000 I think that's exactly what is happening and for that reason. I will just drop my D-3 team all together lol have fun minus by 10.95 a month.
4/22/2014 5:20 PM
The point is they've concluded we have a set base of customers at D-3 our profit loss could be 30% of those D-3 members however if we get rid of 50% of them out of D-3 new coaches will be able to excel and do well making them long term customers(6+ months) and there for creating new users. Not a bad business decision just really going to tick a few @ssholes like myself off....
4/22/2014 5:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
Gridiron Dynasty 3.1 - User Interface Upgrade Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.