Season 73, D3 Topic

I demand a recount for the top 25 coaches, but with random extra points added to my score.  Thanks.
4/23/2014 2:23 PM
I'll take anything in the top ten!  Especially considering some of the big time coaches that joined up in Rupp D3 the last few seasons that are ahead of me.

I do find it interesting that some coaches with very few NT wins are in the top 25.  But I guess it's just Rupp D3 coaches so maybe that makes sense, and you did say it's not perfect measurement.

An interesting metric nonetheless.
4/23/2014 2:36 PM
Posted by rednu on 4/23/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Scanned the returning team rankings. Mill saps returns everyone and could have a team defense rating in the seventies by season end depending on unfilled potential. Foo fighter has a good crew at Hamline that brings them all back as well.
Does this mean that you are going to be doing the conference predictions and WTEFF again this year?
4/23/2014 2:36 PM
I'm sure winning % is a significant component.  It's an interesting question how you compare a coach with say 200 NT wins and 70% overall winning % to a newer coach with 50 NT wins and an 80% winning %.
4/23/2014 2:40 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 4/23/2014 2:36:00 PM (view original):
I'll take anything in the top ten!  Especially considering some of the big time coaches that joined up in Rupp D3 the last few seasons that are ahead of me.

I do find it interesting that some coaches with very few NT wins are in the top 25.  But I guess it's just Rupp D3 coaches so maybe that makes sense, and you did say it's not perfect measurement.

An interesting metric nonetheless.
It is a very simple calculation actually.  Number of NT wins divided by total overall games (with a minimum of 200 wins).

If a person were to jump around a lot, they could have an inflated number.  If they were playing with an alias (scaturo) or had a mid-major D1 team in another world it could be artificially low.

Or in my case if they continually got jobbed in the second round of the NT it would be WAY too low.
4/23/2014 2:41 PM
Posted by spasticity on 4/23/2014 2:40:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure winning % is a significant component.  It's an interesting question how you compare a coach with say 200 NT wins and 70% overall winning % to a newer coach with 50 NT wins and an 80% winning %.
Quite true.  I should probably use a graduated rate for coaches until they get a certain number of wins rather than having a cut off starting at 200.  

I avoided using overall winning percentage and # NT games to keep from inflating coach ratings for guys who are in all SIM conferences and get bounced in the first round every year.

I hesitated putting this on here because it really is not an accurate gauge in some cases, but it works for my purposes of predicted wins and ratings calculations.
4/23/2014 2:47 PM
Yeah I think what you said would be an improvement.  Granted there's always a tradeoff between "better" and "easier", and you're just doing this for fun mostly.

If WIS did this, I would think they could incorporate SOS, conf strength, world strength, etc, but it's not reasonable to expect you to be that complicated about it.
4/23/2014 3:08 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 4/23/2014 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rednu on 4/23/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Scanned the returning team rankings. Mill saps returns everyone and could have a team defense rating in the seventies by season end depending on unfilled potential. Foo fighter has a good crew at Hamline that brings them all back as well.
Does this mean that you are going to be doing the conference predictions and WTEFF again this year?
I certainly hope so...it was just hard to keep up with everything between regular work, my coaching season and graduate courses. My forum presence had to take a bit of a hit. I'd considered dropping a team, but I'm in love with all four of my worlds and programs, so that's just not an option.

I wish I could use that all as an excuse for my miserable 15-14 season last year, but that team just didn't mesh and perform for some reason. Hopefully we got rid of the rabble and this crew will stop the two-year WNE slide.
4/23/2014 3:54 PM
Dang… get's all quiet during recruiting….  <crickets>
4/24/2014 9:04 PM
Some of us have to actually recruit... ;)
4/25/2014 10:10 PM
lol jeffsu. FYI, Brian's team is looking very good to start the season. The Starr Engine has his team at 70 right now, which last season equated to sweet 16 territory. And I'm guessing his team still has room for growth, even if just IQ growth. So so early, but I think he might have the team to beat this year.
4/26/2014 11:49 AM
Just be glad you don't have to lose to him twice a season :)
4/26/2014 4:41 PM
Oh I am :) I don't think anyone envy's a University team's conference schedule, haha. I didn't recruit any monsters this year, but a decent class all around. I'm curious as to how all of you fared this season and if you acquired any studs to keep an eye out for in the future.
4/26/2014 7:26 PM
I got my first D-1 pulldown :)
4/26/2014 7:53 PM
Hey players and playettes, I started a thread in the main forum called "long overdue...User Polls", which asks coaches for input on what they would like to see changed in HD. Please swing through and vote. Thanks.
4/26/2014 11:53 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...14 Next ▸
Season 73, D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.