HELP with Low-Cap Drafting Topic

Don't plan to play fatigued. It's tempting but in the long run it's not a winning strategy.

if AAA is available plan to use it to the MAX. Even the worst rookies are worth it because their PA/IP allow you to draft less quantity and better quality. You only need about 4200 PA with below average aaa (if average AAA it's not really a low cap league), less if trades are allowed, a little more if no WW or if there's a transaction deadline. Notice the rules make a difference in what you can get away with.

Don't limit yourself to fulltime hitters, sometimes part timers are better bargains in that price range. Don't feel you have to draft a self-sustaining pitching rotation either, you'll be shuffling your roster all season long. You're drafting total PA and total IP, it doesn't matter how you get to that total. I generally use all 13 pitching slots because the lower IP starters seem to be better bargains. and I'll have 2 or 3 mopup level pitchers they don't do too badly as spot starters and a few extra cheap innings works out better than pitching fatigued.

Gary Carter $3.9M is my catcher to shut down all the speed teams. I don't draft running teams. Range is unaffordable at this cap so most of my team had D range. be careful with D- range some of them are terrible. I use performance history to get an idea how bad they are.

play the matchups. high HR pitchers against low power teams, high walk hitters against high BB pitchers, etc.

5/1/2014 12:07 AM (edited)
    I was just about to start a thread on the lack of popularity of low cap leagues as opposed to higher capped ones at WIS and this thread pops up. Cool. I never understood the populartity of higher capped theme leagues over lower capped theme leagues. Because you can usually reach 'max pitching' at about the 110 cap level, the higher caps don't seem to be as much of a challenge as the lower caps present. Also the Marginal utility diminishes with each dollar spent almost leveling the playing field for all that enter. I see the lower caps as much more of a challenge and quite frankly more realistic. I definitely enjoy the lower caps more. If anyone can explain the greater popularity of higher capped leagues 'leagues over 120 mil' I'd be interested to hear.  
11/26/2014 5:08 PM
My opnion....

When you build low cap teams, you build teams with weaknessess and strengths.  Just like real life. 

And you can't just select the cookies you have used before.... They don't always translate well into sucess at low caps.... A $12m Joss would cripple your team.

So you have to make tough choices.  Do I want to have good hitters or good fielders?  A good bullpen or good starting pitching?  A good armed catcher or an infield that hits more than .240? 

And, most people, don't like to make tough choices.  They want it all.  Without realizing that if everyone has it all, then your team still has relative weaknesses to the other teams....

It's also more fun to have Babe Ruth and Pedro Martinez and Ty Cobb on your team than it is to have Gene Clines and Sloppy Thuirston and Lee Maye on your team.
12/9/2014 1:44 PM
Love low cap but not too low. I've never gone below $60 mil. I honestly am not sure how to draft for a $40 mil league. I'm running a $60 mil now and plan to keep it going. For next season I'll drop the AAA to below AVG tho.
12/29/2014 9:05 PM
Check out my $70 mil league with no AAA. Fun draft.
1/19/2015 7:06 PM
Mlb111546
1/19/2015 7:07 PM
I agree with most in this thread--low cap leagues are the most challenging. You may be able to afford one maybe two cheap cookies you can draft in OLs, but for the most part you're using an entirely different set of stats. You also have to manage your team a lot more, utilizing all your players. I've drafted OL teams where I didn't need the AAA players much at all. League with lower caps than OL you will use all your players. Other than progressives, I think low cap is the biggest challenge.
1/20/2015 11:54 AM
Always felt that even the OL salary cap was too high...The lower the cap, the more fun and more challenging the experience...not much of a decision to chose between Jimmie Foxx or Lou Gehrig at 1B, but choosing between Roger Repoz and Steve Whitaker is, to me, much more interesting...Now that I am fully on board in this SIM, I will only play in low cap leagues...
5/1/2016 2:48 PM
◂ Prev 12
HELP with Low-Cap Drafting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.