Recruiting a school with 11 schollies open Topic

Does anyone know how it works with a school that has 11 open schollies. In particular, if I only sign 4 players what happens to the other spots. I read that the assistant will fill all but two spots but what about the 6 freshmen limit? Anyone ever had this before? 
5/12/2014 8:39 AM
If it's your first season at the school and you sign less than 6, the assistant coach will sign player(s) to fill up to 6 for that class.  This happened to me at Piedmont D3, I signed 5, figuring 2 walkons wouldn't kill me and was very surprised when recruiting ended and there was a kid from Alaska on the team that showed as recruited by me.  I submitted a ticket and support said he was signed by the assistant coach.  I did wind up cutting him after another season, but he wasn't bad, not walk on level bad.

Just to reinforce since it came up recently, you only get money for 6 scholarships.  Also, you can only have 6 in one class.  So you'll have money for 6 (plus postseason cash from the conference) and have to fill 11, which you can use transfers or JUCOs to sign more than 6 if you want.
5/12/2014 9:04 AM
Thanks guyo, just to make sure I understand before taking on this challenge. If I sign 4, and my assistant signs the other two to fill out the 6 freshmen limit, that will leave me with the one returning player the six signees and 5 walkons? 
5/12/2014 9:19 AM
guyo, does the sim sign guys for you at your first season at any school, or only your first season in that world?
5/12/2014 9:21 AM
big orange, yes I believe so.  I had the assistant sign one, but I believe that two will be signed if needed.  I made a thread on it and there were a good amount of replies, apparently it's a function of wanting to make sure that new coaches/teams had a decent first class when they join a new world.

The guy the assistant signed wasn't bad.  I would have kept him but I wanted to even out classes somewhat later on and he was the weakest link on the team.  As a "feature" it's not horrible, if you focus on signing better players 1-4 and hope that you get decent 5 and 6 signed by the asst and then 5 crap walkons it may work.

The big problem for me is I don't like superclass, so I'm always looking to even things out to 3-4 kids per class.  
5/12/2014 9:27 AM
Posted by dan2044 on 5/12/2014 9:21:00 AM (view original):
guyo, does the sim sign guys for you at your first season at any school, or only your first season in that world?
First season in that world.  I had that happen to me fairly recently, after playing for many years in other worlds.
5/12/2014 9:43 AM
Posted by killbatman on 5/12/2014 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dan2044 on 5/12/2014 9:21:00 AM (view original):
First season in that world.  I had that happen to me fairly recently, after playing for many years in other worlds.
Really!   That's good to know.
5/12/2014 10:24 AM
I only brought it up because it was unclear what the OP was referring to. Since he's in a world that just ended, I wasn't sure if he was planning on switching teams or joining a new world.
5/12/2014 10:25 AM
Yeah I was rather unhappy about it and sent a ticket suggesting they change that rule.  IIRC I left 3 spots open to balance classes and had a random sim recruit show up and take one of the spots.  He eventually got cut and of course I took a big rep hit like it was my own player I cut.  Ridiculous all the way around.
5/12/2014 10:39 AM
Posted by bigorangelvr on 5/12/2014 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Thanks guyo, just to make sure I understand before taking on this challenge. If I sign 4, and my assistant signs the other two to fill out the 6 freshmen limit, that will leave me with the one returning player the six signees and 5 walkons? 
I would suggest trying to find a terrible senior transfer and try to sign that senior on the cheap.  You could even sign a Junior (either JuCo or X'fer) for next to nothing and do far better than getting assigned some terrible freshman.  They don't need to be any good, but just signed to balance classes.  You can bring them off the bench and they'll help your team more than walk-ons will.  

If you watch very carefully just before and the cycle after signings start, you might even see some very good transfers get dumped that will show up on your D3 list.   Or just save a little money until the day after signings start to pick up bad JuCo Juniors as they drop down.  If you only intend on signing 4 freshmen, then a terrible senior transfer and a terrible junior will not affect your recruiting budget for the next season or the season after.  You'd still have a 6 scholarship budget and those terrible players would leave in a season or two, rather than sticking around for 4.
5/12/2014 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. My Dilemna is to take over a D2 team that is in horrible shape and see how long it takes to make them relevant or to take over a team that has never been to the tourney. I have both teams picked out and I really want to try the 11 open schollies but I didn't want to do that if the assistant is going to sign a bunch of unwanted guys. Guyo, that was my main concern was to keep the classes even, maybe a 4-2-4-2 or 4-4-2-2 and I know that cutting scholarship players hurts your reputation. I'm still trying to decide and all your guys input has been very helpful. Thanks to you all!!!
5/12/2014 12:40 PM
Posted by bigorangelvr on 5/12/2014 8:39:00 AM (view original):
Does anyone know how it works with a school that has 11 open schollies. In particular, if I only sign 4 players what happens to the other spots. I read that the assistant will fill all but two spots but what about the 6 freshmen limit? Anyone ever had this before? 
Just did. Only signed 4 guys. The rest are worthless walkons.

The 6 in a class limit still applies, far as I know. 
5/12/2014 12:44 PM
Posted by bigorangelvr on 5/12/2014 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Thanks everyone for your input. My Dilemna is to take over a D2 team that is in horrible shape and see how long it takes to make them relevant or to take over a team that has never been to the tourney. I have both teams picked out and I really want to try the 11 open schollies but I didn't want to do that if the assistant is going to sign a bunch of unwanted guys. Guyo, that was my main concern was to keep the classes even, maybe a 4-2-4-2 or 4-4-2-2 and I know that cutting scholarship players hurts your reputation. I'm still trying to decide and all your guys input has been very helpful. Thanks to you all!!!
I did it in D-II and the assistant didn't sign anyone, if that helps. I'm starting a walkon, which is going about as well as you'd expect.
5/12/2014 12:47 PM
Posted by bigorangelvr on 5/12/2014 12:40:00 PM (view original):
sorry if im being redundant, but i can't tell from your post... the conclusion is the assistant will NOT sign players if you move up to d2 from your existing d3 team - right? 
5/12/2014 12:56 PM
Didn't for me. Maybe it does in D3. 
5/12/2014 12:59 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting a school with 11 schollies open Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.