How would you rank them? Topic

A conference mate and I have been discussing who deserved to win conference awards for the pg position in our conference.  The top 2 are very close and the 3rd and 4th guys are very close.  Who do you all think deserves each spot and what is the rationale that WIS used to make their decision?

Top 2 (Note: the stats are in-conference stats
Name Record Conf. Record RPI PTS REB AST BLK STL FG% 3PT% FT%  
Emery 22-8 15-1 46 17.9 1.4 3.9 0.0 0.9 47.4 44.3 79.4  
Jones 20-7 12-4 106 18.6 2.3 4.4 0.1 1.6 53.8 50.7 81.5  

Next 2
Name Record Conf. Record RPI PTS REB AST BLK STL FG% 3PT% FT%  
Benevides 14-15 9-7 187 20.3 1.3 3.3 0.0 1.4 45.5 44.0 74.2  
Groom 22-8 15-1 46 11.2 4.4 3.3 0.4 1.1 52.9 37.5 69.8  

HD took Jones over Emery. I think most people would take Emery over Jones because their stats are similar and Emery played for a better team. Does this show how important percentages are? because Jones shot ridiculous percentages.

HD took Groom over Benevides.  I also think most people would take Benevides over Groom for 3rd team all-conference.  Benevides averaged 9ppg more, and while Groom played on a better team, Benevides' team was still over .500 in conference.  I thought defense might be the deciding factor here, but then i looked at how their matchups performed and Benevides gave up around 10.5 ppg to Groom's 7.5 ppg which isnt a huge difference.  

5/12/2014 7:58 PM (edited)
I never thought team success had any affect on player awards.  That said Jones is higher than Emery in every stat, so that's obvious.  I am confused of why Groom was ahead of Benevides because I thought HD cared too much about ppg and that's a big difference 9 points.  So maybe percentage is important.
5/12/2014 9:57 PM
team success and i believe also team success compared to last year, both play into conference awards. i could be wrong on the player front but its definitely true for coach awards. they are widely known to be total crap though, i wouldn't spend much (if any) time trying to understand them, its really one of the crappiest parts of the game. its also not critical to a team's success like many other areas, so as far as things being total crap goes, i think its a good one, but still... it is what it is :)
5/12/2014 10:20 PM
I would vote for Jones over Emery and not think twice. It's not even a close call, IMO.
5/12/2014 10:37 PM
My argument for emery over jones is that it seems that groom was chosen over benevides because of better defense and team success. Emery has those same advantages over jones and they are closer statistically than groom and benevides. I could have understood going with that logic and having emery over jones and groom over benevides. I could have also understood saying team success is enough to push emery over jones, but not enough to push groom over benevides. Or I could have understood just going straight off the stats and having jones over emery and benevides over groom. The only scenario I can't understand is the one that occurred. I know it's a small thing but there must be part of the WIS logic that I'm missing.
5/12/2014 10:51 PM
Emery does not have a defensive advantage over Jones. Jones is better at him in every single statistical category, including blocks and steals.
5/12/2014 11:11 PM
Emery has the same speed. 5 more pts in ath and 30 more pts in defense. Just looking at steals and blocks isn't the best way to determine if someone is a good defender.
5/13/2014 7:28 AM
I'm wondering if the fact that Jones, and Groom are seniors, whereas Emery, and Benevides are juniors, had anything to do with the final outcome? That seems to be the only common denominator in this decision process. Maybe HD's thinking is, "if it's close. give it to the senior."
5/13/2014 9:15 AM
Jones is better than Emery in every statistical category, so I'm not surprised he won.

As for Groom over Benevides, it's much closer, but I don't think the team is the major factor in Groom's favor - instead, the FG% is hugely different and - though you left it out - I think Benevides turnovers hurt him considerably.
5/13/2014 9:49 AM
Posted by therewas47 on 5/13/2014 7:28:00 AM (view original):
Emery has the same speed. 5 more pts in ath and 30 more pts in defense. Just looking at steals and blocks isn't the best way to determine if someone is a good defender.
You don't judge awards by ability, you judge them by stats.
5/13/2014 10:17 AM
Jones was an easy vote for both me and the sim.
5/13/2014 11:10 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/13/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 5/13/2014 7:28:00 AM (view original):
You don't judge awards by ability, you judge them by stats.
There are stats you can't see like opponent fg% which, I believe, also impacts their rankings. If you look through defensive player of the year stats I'm sure you'll find plenty of players who won without having the most steals and blocks. Defensive ability is harder to quantify than offensive ability through traditional stats so you need to look at things like opposing fg% and turnovers created to get a better view of defensive production.
5/13/2014 11:26 AM
How would you rank them? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.