Depth Chart Finagling Topic

I have a player to be my backup PG and SG but if both starters are out, I want him to play PG. How do I set that up? Do I list him 2nd for PG, leave the 2nd slot for SG blank and list him 3rd for SG?
5/16/2014 8:33 PM
Wouldn't you leave the 3rd PG slot empty, and fill the 4th? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way?
5/16/2014 8:58 PM
If I remember correctly, he would play pg if he was listed 2nd for both and the starters came out.  If it was the other way around and you wanted him at sg, I think you would need to leave the 2nd pg open and list him as 2nd sg and 3rd pg.  I'm not 100% sure about that but I think that if a player is in the 2nd slot at two positions,then he comes in at the one to the left if both starters are out.
5/17/2014 12:36 AM (edited)
shaf my be right on that, I never heard that, but barring that what you outline in your OP is what I do.
5/17/2014 1:51 AM
i would think it kinda depends on the stamina of your starting gaurds relative to each other..   but thats a guess.  
5/17/2014 6:46 AM
I have never figured out a systematic way to handle that.  I tend to just play around with depth chart until something works better for the team.....taking into account stamina, open slots, etc etc
5/17/2014 11:00 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/16/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
I have a player to be my backup PG and SG but if both starters are out, I want him to play PG. How do I set that up? Do I list him 2nd for PG, leave the 2nd slot for SG blank and list him 3rd for SG?
Yes.  I think.
5/17/2014 11:49 AM
would he play his listed position first?
5/17/2014 7:48 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/16/2014 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Wouldn't you leave the 3rd PG slot empty, and fill the 4th? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way?
This is how you would do it for sure.
5/17/2014 10:15 PM
whats the rest of the story? is this just a 3 man rotation, or is there a 4th man? i wanted to respond earlier, but i wasn't sure, and i think that impacts the answer...
5/17/2014 11:07 PM
I want the 4th guy to be the sg when the third guy is at sg.
5/18/2014 6:46 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/18/2014 6:46:00 AM (view original):
I want the 4th guy to be the sg when the third guy is at sg.
assuming you meant you want the 4th guard to be sg when the 3rd is pg (sorry, i missed in the OP that this was only when both starters were out), you definitely can achieve this as others have said. you have two options, really. first, you can put the 3rd guard and the 2 spot for pg and sg, and put the 4th guard at the 3 spot for sg and 4th for pg. then, when the two are in together, the 4th guard will always be sg while the 3rd will always be pg (2 + 3 < 2 + 4). 

the other option is to play your 3rd guard at 2pg and 3sg, and the 4th guard at 4pg and 4sg. when in together, they will still play pg/sg as you desire, 2+4 < 3+4. the possible benefit to doing it this way is if both starters are getting tired, but so is the 4th guard, this will dictate that your 3rd guard will take the place of the starting pg, while the starting sg will play (it will break the tie between which of the starters sits out). this may happen anyway, but it makes it explicit. the possible downside is, in the first setup, if it was going to be one of the two starters (both getting tired) and the 4th guard (fairly fresh, with 3rd at GT), you had a tie breaker where the backup plays sg and your starting pg stays in. in this 2nd scenario, there is no explicit tie breaker, so its whatever the engine does. 

you can choose between the two based on how you want those tie breakers to go, or not to go. you can't have full control over all the options, not with just 4 depth chart spots... which is why i'd really like to see 5-6 depth chart spots :)

5/18/2014 10:55 AM
Depth Chart Finagling Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.