I know this has been covered, but how exactly do we make sense of the new *improved* depth charts?  I remember this system being thrashed by coaches during beta, and by coaches who have used the basic gameplan since.  I can't believe it has reappeared in div 3 as an improvement.

Are dts and des the same now?  Are safeties and cbs the same now?  Are offensive tackles and guards the same now?  Are tailbacks and fullbacks the same now?  How about ILb and OLB?   If the answer is yes they are all the same, what have we been doing since Beta and why were we not told?  If the answer is no, how on earth are these new depth charts simplified and easier to understand?  Before, if I had a defensive back with the attributes of safety, I put him in the safety depth chart.  Now I place him in the generic defensive back depth chart and hope he ends up playing safety.  Or, if I am extra motivated, I come nosing around these forums looking for answers.  Is the 1st entry on the depth chart a cb?  How about the 3rd?  What about the 6th?  Is my 3rd rb a fb or a tailback?  How is substituting a number system for positions easier than having depth charts for those positions?

These artificial restrictions have created a situation where new coaches have to search for MORE information for something as simple as setting the depth chart.  How has this made the game easier to understand?  

Am I missing something?   
5/28/2014 9:21 PM (edited)
well, the answers are not in "coaching 101" or the "player's guide".  In fact, that information has not been updated with the release of 3.1.  it is all dated.  So with all the importance given to making things easier for new coaches, they still will face a questionable/nonintuitive  setup and no place to get definitive answers.          
5/28/2014 9:16 PM

+100

6/6/2014 9:52 PM
The coaching 101 and the player's guide were written by players who figured out the system and wanted to help others. Too soon for players to do that.

My suggestion would be to use your exhibition games to figure those things out.

Start varying and see what happens. Then maybe you can add it to the coaching 101. For the record, doesn't seem to be a problem at DII.

6/7/2014 8:24 PM
Both the coaching 101 and players guide can be found under the HELP tab on coaching screens.  I was not referring to any guides or help sections found in the forums.  I am not sure who wrote them or why, nor was I being critical of coaches' attempts to make things clearer for other coaches (I always appreciated all the help I was able to get from other coaches while learning).  With that said, I absolutely think WIS is responsible for updating these pages with any updates they make to the game.  This is not a free site.  A game guide is needed.  Updated info about the game is needed.  Dated info about the game provided as help is unacceptable.  I should not have to learn how to set the depth chart correctly by trial and error.  My time is valuable as is every other coaches'.  If we waste time searching for answers about things like setting the depth chart we get aggravated.  

The purpose of the update was to make things easier to understand.  Why is it now harder for coaches with experience to understand?  This is the last season on my account so I won't complain too much, but if I can't even set my depth chart without searching through dated help sections and browsing the forums which may or may not give me objective and up to date answers, something is wrong.    

It is really the same old story I guess.  Some coaches seem able to deal with it and enjoy the game regardless while others get frustrated and leave.  I suppose a third subset fall somewhere in between and complain but still play.  I don't want to be included in the third so I am leaving when my last season is up.  I would however like to set my depth chart in the meantime and why the heck is there a nonintuitive system in place based on the order of the players found in the depth chart instead of depth charts based on actual positions?!?!?!   
6/7/2014 10:26 PM
No arguments with your points.

They don't want coaches with experience at DIII clearly. They haven't stated it, but their actions show it.

6/7/2014 10:49 PM
Posted by dublinuf on 6/7/2014 10:49:00 PM (view original):
No arguments with your points.

They don't want coaches with experience at DIII clearly. They haven't stated it, but their actions show it.

Ditto . It's obvious.
6/8/2014 2:53 AM
Posted by samson75 on 6/7/2014 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Both the coaching 101 and players guide can be found under the HELP tab on coaching screens.  I was not referring to any guides or help sections found in the forums.  I am not sure who wrote them or why, nor was I being critical of coaches' attempts to make things clearer for other coaches (I always appreciated all the help I was able to get from other coaches while learning).  With that said, I absolutely think WIS is responsible for updating these pages with any updates they make to the game.  This is not a free site.  A game guide is needed.  Updated info about the game is needed.  Dated info about the game provided as help is unacceptable.  I should not have to learn how to set the depth chart correctly by trial and error.  My time is valuable as is every other coaches'.  If we waste time searching for answers about things like setting the depth chart we get aggravated.  

The purpose of the update was to make things easier to understand.  Why is it now harder for coaches with experience to understand?  This is the last season on my account so I won't complain too much, but if I can't even set my depth chart without searching through dated help sections and browsing the forums which may or may not give me objective and up to date answers, something is wrong.    

It is really the same old story I guess.  Some coaches seem able to deal with it and enjoy the game regardless while others get frustrated and leave.  I suppose a third subset fall somewhere in between and complain but still play.  I don't want to be included in the third so I am leaving when my last season is up.  I would however like to set my depth chart in the meantime and why the heck is there a nonintuitive system in place based on the order of the players found in the depth chart instead of depth charts based on actual positions?!?!?!   
I just look at the formation I'm interested in.  For example, the DL for the 4 - 3 goes like:
DL1   DL3   DL4   DL2

So, DL1 and DL2 are your DEs and DL3 and DL4 are the DTs.  If anyone subs out, everyone else moves up a spot until the guy recovers enough to come back in (where he goes to his original position).  So once your guys start subbing out, things are pretty much a crapshoot as to how to get players to go into their optimal position.

However, this doesn't excuse WIS from not providing the information in an easy to find manner.
6/8/2014 10:22 AM
Thanks MGM!  Good info and it is much appreciated.  I am guessing linebackers for the 4-3 are olb/1, ilb/3, and olb/2, although I am really not sure.  I have no clue about DBs though.  This setup is just plain dumb.  
6/8/2014 1:41 PM
Mgm is correct. The formation dictates who plays where on your depth chart.  So you are correct samson on the linebackers for a 4-3:   LB 1 & LB 2 are OLBs, LB 3 is the ILB/MLB.  In a 4-3 the DB 1 & 2 are the CBs, DB 3 & 4 are the SS and FS.  

Now what really sucks in D3 with 3.1 is with only 1 depth chart for each position, you can't effectively put the right players where you want them in different formations. So the DB 3 & 4 who are playing SS and FS in a 4-3 become CBs in a Dime!  Why would I want that when I want my DB 3 & 4 to play the Safeties in all formations?! 

I really wish they would bring back the multiple depth charts for D3 the way it was in 3.0.  And I agree a game guide would be more helpful for newbies than a new interface.  Very frustrating!

6/8/2014 2:35 PM (edited)
I don't see how that is the case when we can set who play De and Who plays DT in our system. 
6/9/2014 1:58 PM
Thanks dvgagz.  Very useful info about the secondary!!!
6/9/2014 2:03 PM
Posted by kas1007 on 6/9/2014 1:58:00 PM (view original):
I don't see how that is the case when we can set who play De and Who plays DT in our system. 
You can set them, but currently in div 3 you set them by the position in the depth chart.  The depth chart is for defensive line.  
6/9/2014 2:04 PM
Posted by cincyson on 6/6/2014 9:52:00 PM (view original):

+100

+100
7/4/2014 7:24 PM
If you used the advance settings you can set  your formations and what players will play those positions 
7/7/2014 11:04 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.