#2 Pick in a very weak draft, who do you take? Topic

I have found low power guys ,25 or less, with good contact and eye to be very inconsistent.
6/16/2014 12:18 PM
I'd argue that high power guys, with low contact, are also inconsistent. 
6/16/2014 2:34 PM
Examples:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Luis Posada
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Orlando Aguilera

Both have career numbers about where I'd expect(.230-.250)

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Cecil Lazzeri

Horrible last year, killing it this season.    Of course, it could be argued that it's SSS but he's very consistent in his inconsistency like I've found all of these types to be.
6/16/2014 2:38 PM
I've been very disappointed in this power hitters output.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Mateo Seguignol
6/17/2014 9:19 AM
jibe increase your baserunning aggressiveness to try and get Seguignol more doubles
6/17/2014 10:48 AM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 6/17/2014 10:48:00 AM (view original):
jibe increase your baserunning aggressiveness to try and get Seguignol more doubles
That is actually not the greatest advise.

First, how do you know what his rate is set at now?

Second you'd have to know the makeup of the rest of his team, as base running aggressiveness affects the WHOLE team. He might be running into a bunch more outs for the sake of one guy getting more 2Bs.

6/17/2014 1:19 PM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 6/17/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pjfoster13 on 6/17/2014 10:48:00 AM (view original):
That is actually not the greatest advise.

First, how do you know what his rate is set at now?

Second you'd have to know the makeup of the rest of his team, as base running aggressiveness affects the WHOLE team. He might be running into a bunch more outs for the sake of one guy getting more 2Bs.

Yes. Horrible advice.
6/17/2014 1:28 PM
shrug
6/17/2014 3:57 PM
If you don't know, make a suggestion anyway.   After all, it's not like people come here looking for suggestions on how to get better at the game.

Oh, wait.   That's EXACTLY what they do?   Nevermind then.
6/17/2014 4:25 PM
It may or may not be the right strategy but it would raise his slugging percentage and therefore make the player "seem less disappointing", that's all I'm saying. a guy with that kind of power should be expected to have more doubles, that's all I'm saying
6/17/2014 5:11 PM
Thank you mchale and burnsey. As a team I have done quite well on O this season and in the past 3 or 4. I already have an aggressive setting for baserunning so I think I will decline on stepping it up to the next level for the very reasons given. I would say that Mateos' speed/baserunning IQ would be a hinderance to putting it even more aggressive anyway. With contact below 60 I'm not expecting him to be a .320 hitter. I am however befuddled that he doesn't get more BB's with a batting eye of 87, and I have always liked his splits. And that power! Yes his doubles should be twice what they are tthough.

He does go on tears however, which with his inconsistency is why I posted him. I am just resigned to that he is one of those guys in HBD that does not play up to his ratings on a regular basis.

6/17/2014 6:47 PM
To get a lot of doubles, you generally need speed. This guys hitting homers if they're extra base hits.

I'm also surprised he doesn't walk more.
6/17/2014 8:58 PM
He does also play half of his games in Baltimore which has a -3 for doubles. Baltimore has been good for my team so I'm fine with less doubles. Though I do wonder what a different park would do for this guy.

I would be happy if he cracked .280 and took 20 more BB a season. I have a number of boppers on the team so I'm not surprised with the low RBI production.
6/17/2014 9:42 PM
#3 is a stud.  Control of 94 and 90-92 splits.  He can throw 90-95 pitches.....What is not to love.

#2 is a GG 3B who starts 150 times a year.  If he switch hit he would be terrific, but his 90 vR # will mitigate his RHB.  

I would pick #3....but be very tempted to pick #2.  40-ish contact guys re fine as long as they have some power and splits.  He has decent pop and terrific split #'s.
6/18/2014 2:55 PM
◂ Prev 123
#2 Pick in a very weak draft, who do you take? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.