the subject of squeeze bunt came up again recently,

So I decided to do a test.  It's a small test, but I think very telling.
I played enough games against sparky with my own teams to try at least 5 squeeze bunts. (man on 3rd less than 2 outs)
If the INFIELD was IN, the  squeeze failed both times (pop out and line out).  this of course would look like not a squeeze attempt to the opponent as it didn't mention the bunt.

If the infield was back the squeeze worked 2 out of 3 times.   Just like MLB, if you leave the infield back with less than 2 outs and a man on 3rd, there is a great chance of getting burned.

So, summary, this so called 100% glitch failed 60% of the time in this test.  It stops the squeeze if your infield is in (most of the time).  Wow just like real life.  It let's the squeeze work if you set infield back...just like mlb too. 

So again, those who have made the rule / agreement that you cant squeeze because it always works (false) are one of 2 things.  

1. wrong.  or
2. using this "glitch" to intimidate people not to squeeze on them while not paying attention.  They get a lot more double plays from infield back than they would if using proper strategy.  Yes a small sample, but proof the squeeze DOES NOT WORK 100% of the time.  
It may have been a problem before, but I'll bet a lot of those upset had the infield back most of the time (and didn't even know when the opponent's squeeze failed).

Test it  yourself.  I'd love to hear from you.  And before you tell us about the previous "facts" on this, test it for yourself.
6/14/2014 11:10 AM (edited)
and just a reminder.  the whole idea of 1st and 3rd baseball strategy is the choice.  Do I leave it back and risk the squeeze or a slow roller that let's a run score? (and a great chance for the double play)  Or do I bring it in and risk more base hits getting through the hole?   This glitch is an excuse to take the bunt option away that keeps the defense honest.  
6/11/2014 11:29 AM
for those who think there is a glitch, I've offered for years, make your league rules "no squeeze bunts with infield in"   No league former has commented, let alone put it in.  If  you want fair that would cover it anyway.  But I really don't think 'fair" is the issue for some of these people. 
 I only get passionate about this as I've seen people get run out of live sim over stupid issues like this.  I mean why pay your money for "fantasy" baseball to get ripped by a few old timers who don't like you using all the baseball options?  they just quit wis and  move on to other products.  And leave you playing with the same hand full of owners. And this experiment shows it really isn't even true about the glitch (squeeze working 100% of the time).
6/11/2014 11:29 AM

While I appreciate the attempt to quantify the success rate of squeezing, 3 trials with the infield back and 2 trials with the infield in, especially when not controlling for the bunting ability of the batter, the caliber of the defense, and the speed of the runner on third, is such a tiny sample size as to be irrelevant.

6/11/2014 12:39 PM

next time we're both on i'd be happy to spend a couple games testing this and building out a larger sample of data

would also add that anyone who is still bitter about a bunt from two years ago should probably start taking WIS a bit less seriously

6/11/2014 12:46 PM
thanks 06gsp, I know it's a small sample, but I KNOW it proves the squeeze doesn't always work 100% of the time as many say during this debate.
6/11/2014 1:16 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 6/11/2014 12:46:00 PM (view original):

next time we're both on i'd be happy to spend a couple games testing this and building out a larger sample of data

would also add that anyone who is still bitter about a bunt from two years ago should probably start taking WIS a bit less seriously

that would be good.  If it was exhibition we could get men on third quite often to test it.
6/11/2014 4:57 PM
I still have no problem squeezing when the IF is back if I have a pitcher up and a fast runner on 3rd base.  I would also do it with a weak hitting SS or speedy slap hitter like Billy North or Mookie Wilson.  Usually, I won't bunt if the IF is in because it usually does not work.  My feeling is if I play the IF back, I'm giving up a run for an out.  If it is on a bunt, so be it.  Same if I am at back.  I will take a run for an out 
6/11/2014 5:11 PM
sjh, that is way too small a sample size.  
6/11/2014 9:11 PM
yes it is Arv, but "100% never works" as many say about the squeeze play  would not miss 3 of 5 chances.  We're going to test it more. 
Thanks
6/11/2014 10:51 PM (edited)
The point that i tried to make on the league bulletin board was that if the manager in the field leaves his infield back with runners on first and third, one out and the pitcher up, he is exploiting the agreement not to squeeze.
He is taking advantage of the glitch every bit as much as a manager who squeezes is.
If the infield is back, the squeeze is in order, glitch or no glitch.
And any attempt at bullying and intimidation should be ignored.

6/11/2014 9:53 PM
we're on the same page, I just have resisted using it because of the hooplaw and battles it causes.  I'm testing more so we can use logic.  people were convinced the squeeze worked 100% of the time.  (it missed 3 of 5 when I tested it)   I think that got started because you can't tell they bunted if the squeeze failed.  It says pop out, fielders choice at home, line out etc.  so they only see the times it works and think 100%.  and like I said before, it may have been a problem before, but not now.    thanks coyote.
6/11/2014 10:05 PM (edited)
YOU "TESTED" IT 5 TIMES!!!!  So you say (I do believe you, but for argument's sake, c'mon), and who's not to say it wasn't in some skewwed manner when you squeezed with a high k douchebag at the plate and a catcher with 48 speed rating at 3rd.

Please, don't bring your "test" back into this  lol
6/11/2014 11:14 PM
Remember sjh, this ban was brought on by guys who've played more than anyone on this site..  that said I am interested in your findings.  

Maybe some balance can be found, but I just know from playing X amount of games that it's a totally bullsh!t play.  lol
6/11/2014 11:17 PM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.