2014 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

LeBron has opted out, which isn't surprising. The question is if Wade and Bosh do or not. If they don't, I think LeBron bails. The Heat won't have any cash for any players of consequence with Wade and Bosh taking up $40M of cap room. If Wade/Bosh do opt out I think he stays and they get some mid-tier veterans that want to chase a title.

Carmelo opts out. Houston and Chicago are the favorites. I think Chicago is a better fit since the East sucks.

Tyson Chandler/Felton to the Mavericks, Calderon/Larkin to the Knicks.
Knicks got a steal here. Young player in Larkin and some 2nd rounders to take a shot on. In retrospect Dallas screwed up by not signing Chandler after their title, and now they have a Tyson Chandler that is 3 years older on the last year of that fat contract. If they would have gotten Chris Paul/Dwight Howard/ or Deron Williams, it would have been worth it. Instead the ended up signing Calderon, Monta Ellis, and a slew of old veterans.

Asik to Pelicans, future 1st rounder to Houston
Pelicans gave a good asset away to a team that was desperate to open up funds for this free agent class, for one year of Omir Asik. They're paying $36M this season for Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Eric Gordon. Terrible team management even though they have a Top 5 asset in Anthony Davis.

Afflalo to Denver, Fournier/56th overall to Orlando
I don't get why Afflalo was so cheap. One of the top SG's in the league. Elite 3 point shooter and solid defender. Not sure why Orlando was quick to dump him. There would be a bigger market for him after teams start missing out on players in free agency. It's not as if Orlando is in position to need that cap room for a top free agent.
6/26/2014 3:42 PM
Asik+Davis+Anderson is pretty stout

I have no idea what Orlando was doing there
6/28/2014 9:54 AM
I do think Orlando could have gotten more for Afflalo. He is not a great player but worth more than that.

Asik and Davis I like a lot. Anderson may get traded at some point.

6/28/2014 1:30 PM
Do we like the Bulls trade up to get Dougy McBuckets? They desperately need shooting but two firsts and a second? 
6/28/2014 1:44 PM
Hmm. I am ok with it. I think he fits great there whether or not they get someone like Melo.

Part of that deal was to trim salary as well.  Those picks turned into better players than I thought they would though. Didn't think Gary Harris would be there at 19.
6/28/2014 1:48 PM
just researched it and this yahoo on another site was saying that rookie scale 11>16+19 - that is incorrect and you're right, they saved like 2.5m
6/28/2014 2:05 PM
  G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK PTS ?
Player A 35 33.7 9.4 17.9 0.526 6.7 11.8 0.567 2.7 6.1 0.449 5.1 5.9 0.864 7 1.6 0.2 0.1 26.7
Player B 33 36.5 9.3 18.7 0.496 7 13.5 0.523 2.2 5.2 0.428 7.3 9.4 0.772 5.5 1.7 1.1 0.3 28.1

Player A is the final Doug McDermott. Player B is an easy guess. Even the scouting report is dead-on, except the coach's son remark.

Positives
  • Smart, heady forward
  • Excellent scorer
  • Deep range on his jumper. Elite three point shooter.
  • Coach's son. High basketball IQ
  • Excellent motor
Negatives
  • Not an elite athlete
  • A bit of a tweener
  • Needs to add strength
6/28/2014 3:03 PM
Obviously you picked Adam Morrison. I think Doug will make it.. as a guy that scores 15-18 per 36 in the league. Not sure if he will be a starter or a solid bench guy.

But, I believe in Morrison somewhat too! Hey he won some chips!

6/28/2014 3:12 PM
bad comparison - McDermott has a much more complete arsenal offensively and he has extraordinary range which Ammo (who was principally a mid range player) never had - **** if Ammo actually had that kind of range he'd still be playing
6/28/2014 3:35 PM
Posted by felonius on 6/28/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):
just researched it and this yahoo on another site was saying that rookie scale 11>16+19 - that is incorrect and you're right, they saved like 2.5m
looks like the Bulls also took on Anthony Randolph as part of the deal therefore the savings is a little under 1m
6/29/2014 11:10 AM
Everyone on Miami opts out, which takes the mystery away from what LeBron does. The question left is what can they get with available space. Lowry is going to get more than what they can offer. Carmelo wouldn't work either, although I thought those rumors of him going there were stupid anyway. He'd be an awful fit as offense isn't really their problem. I see them getting the mid-level aging vets. Maybe bring back Ray Allen. Try for someone like Pau, or roll the dice with Emeka Okafor.
6/29/2014 12:39 PM
they could get Okafor for an MLE - what about someone like Monroe?
6/29/2014 12:48 PM
He's out of the price range. I think as a 24 year old PF/C with no health issues and close to double-double numbers, he's going to get a monster contract from someone.

The salary cap is around $63M, let's be generous and say the Heat 3 take an ever greater drop in salary and sign for a total of $45M. Norris Cole (unless dumped somehow) is $2M, their rookie is about $1M, and they have to have at least 12 players so add in the minimum rookie salary for each spot for about $3.5M. Unless Haslem retires, there's another $1M gone. Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen could come back as well, but we won't count them here.

Leaves $10.5M to fill the rest of the team. That's not going to get a young player looking for their first big contract. You're looking at veterans that have made a bunch of money looking to win, or doing what they did last season and rolling the dice with young players with potential (Beasley/Oden failures they tried).
6/29/2014 3:15 PM
I think Pau would be a nice fit in Miami. He can shoot and pass.. will space the floor nicely.. let Bosh play completely as a stretch 4.. while majorly upgrading their size.

And they need size now.. the biggest difference with the team is that the dynamic duo of Wade and James on defense.. is not as dynamic as it used to be.. and with the guys getting older they can't play the frenetic D they were playing.

I have a feeling they will be dumping Norris Cole off to someone.. maybe as part of a sign and trade for some free agent they bring in. 

Can they just make Haslem Assistant to the Assistant to the GM now? .. 
6/30/2014 9:20 AM
If Pau will play for $4M or so, he'll have no shortage of suitors. I don't see him staying with the Lakers or going to the Knicks. He'll be a huge get for any contending team.
6/30/2014 11:11 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
2014 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.