My all-star ballot Topic

With the 4th of July fast approaching, I figured I better exercise my right as an American citizen and cast votes for the 2014 All-Star game in Minneapolis, MN.

American League
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Miguel Cabrera
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Kyle Seager
SS - Alcides Escobar
OF - Mike Trout, Jose Bautista, Michael Brantley
DH - Nelson Cruz

National League
C - Devon Mesoraco
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Dee Gordon
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Troy Tulowitzki
OF - Andrew McCutchen, Giancarlo Stanton, Charlie Blackmon

Since we can't vote for a DH in the National League I think it should be Puig since he is a terrible defensive OF'er and obviously would be a big attraction at the game.

Good luck to all the candidates!
7/2/2014 12:36 PM
No Jeets!

UnAmerican!

How dare you!
7/2/2014 2:24 PM
You largely wasted your time voting. 
7/2/2014 2:30 PM
Jeter over Nelson Cruz?  You jest!
7/4/2014 12:27 PM
Gomez and Braun are both doing better than Blackmon. Jones and Melky are ahead of Brantley.

I disagree with most of your other choices, but they're arguable. Blackmon and Brantley are the most glaring errors.
7/4/2014 8:56 PM
Nah
Brantley deserves an argument for making the team
Perhaps Jones can go ahead of him but not Melky
7/6/2014 8:09 AM
Nobody is going to watch the game without names that the average fan is familiar with.

Jeter, Pujols, Ortiz, Pedroia, Wright, Fielder, etc.

Doesn't matter if they are deserving or not.
7/6/2014 8:36 AM
So it's a popularity contest.  That's fine.  As long as we don't celebrate their accomplishments by saying "6-time all-star" as if it means something in terms of their productivity. 
7/6/2014 12:25 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/6/2014 8:36:00 AM (view original):
Nobody is going to watch the game without names that the average fan is familiar with.

Jeter, Pujols, Ortiz, Pedroia, Wright, Fielder, etc.

Doesn't matter if they are deserving or not.
I don't think Prince Fielder is going to play in the game this year unless his neck surgery miraculously heals by next week!
7/6/2014 1:26 PM
People won't care about that.  They'll still want to see him in the lineup.
7/6/2014 2:10 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/6/2014 12:25:00 PM (view original):
So it's a popularity contest.  That's fine.  As long as we don't celebrate their accomplishments by saying "6-time all-star" as if it means something in terms of their productivity. 
All-star games are even more meaningless since they use 34 man rosters now.
7/6/2014 2:27 PM
Most A/S are pretty good players.   Would you care to name a "6-time all-star" that wasn't any good?
7/6/2014 7:39 PM
It's rare that you get a guy voted in who doesn't deserve to be there. I can understand a lot of "man, that guy really deserved it - I can't believe he's not going!". But I don't think it's as frequent as you think to see "that guy got voted in??? He shouldn't even be in the discussion!"

Voters usually get it right. Even if a guy shouldn't be starting, he usually still deserves to be at the game.
7/6/2014 7:58 PM
My all-star ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.