Small Hall of Fame Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 8/6/2014 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Top 5 Yankee?

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Ford, DiMaggio, Gomez - I don't see how Jeter can break into the top 6.  I could see an argument for 7th, in competition with Berra and Dickey.

That's why I said sure.
8/6/2014 4:01 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/6/2014 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Top 5 Yankee?

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Ford, DiMaggio, Gomez - I don't see how Jeter can break into the top 6.  I could see an argument for 7th, in competition with Berra and Dickey.

It 's funny. You could make the argument that Jeter ranks higher on the list of all shortstops than he does on the list of Yankees.
8/6/2014 4:06 PM
come on,
seriously?
I know you want to stick it to Miket,
but Lefty Gomez better than Jeter?

and Ford over DiMaggio?

come on
seriously?
8/6/2014 8:34 PM
Top 5 Yankee?

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle are top 3.  No rational person could argue that.    Then, honestly, it gets tricky.   I wouldn't even try to argue it.  But, if you look at the all-time numbers, Jeter has a strong case.   As does Rivera.
8/6/2014 8:44 PM

FWIW, Gomez is just another "I don't want say Jeter had a great career" pick.    Kinda dumb.

8/6/2014 8:54 PM

****, looking at the numbers, I could argue Pettitte over Gomez.   And NOBODY argues Pettitte over Jeter.

8/6/2014 9:00 PM
****.  I think I could argue Guidry over Gomez.   Goddam.
8/6/2014 9:10 PM
I don't see how you could possibly argue Guidry over Gomez in good faith.  Pettitte I could see.
8/6/2014 9:45 PM
Posted by cobra on 8/6/2014 8:34:00 PM (view original):
come on,
seriously?
I know you want to stick it to Miket,
but Lefty Gomez better than Jeter?

and Ford over DiMaggio?

come on
seriously?
Here's the list of starting pitchers in the post-deadball era with better career ERA+ than Whitey Ford: Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, Brandon Webb, Johan Santana, Randy Johnson.  Now if you throw out Webb and Santana because they don't have the career innings to be meaningful competition, you could argue that over a reasonable career length Whitey Ford was the 4th-best pitcher of the modern era.  I wouldn't argue that high.  But he's MASSIVELY underrated, even by Yankees fans if they aren't old enough to remember watching him pitch.

And oh, if you're one of those guys whose afraid of stats even as advanced as ERA+, feel free to go look up post-deadball ERA leaders.  Whitey is #1 on that list, and he didn't even pitch in 1968.  That's right, Bob Gibson can suck it.
8/6/2014 9:52 PM
Well, I'll save us some time.  You'll throw out the stats that favor Gomez, I'll toss out some that favor Guidry.   Either of us could be right.  I'll accept that.  Hell, I'll just concede so we can move on.

Now, would you like to argue Pettitte over Jeter or just remove Gomez from your Top 5 Yankees?
8/6/2014 9:57 PM
Gomez wasn't in the top 5.  I looked up the stats, and I still think I'd have a hard time taking Jeter over Gomez, but fine.  I'd have a hard time taking Jeter over Pettitte, too, now that you bring him up.  There have been very few eras of history in which starting pitching hasn't been harder to come by than hitting, and given that Jeter has never been good and rarely been adequate defensively at SS, I pretty much view him as a pure hitter with limited power but decent speed, at least earlier in his career.  He's not as good a leadoff hitter as Rickey or Raines, but a very good option in the 1 or 2 spots, or even 3 if you need him there.  Probably the best leadoff hitter in Yankee history.  But has he ever provided more value than a top-tier starter?  Maybe once you give him the longevity points vs. Gomez he comes out ahead.

Irrelevant.  Still not top 5 if I give you Gomez.  If you want to argue Jeter over Whitey Ford, be my guest.  WAR agrees with you.  I don't think logic does, however.
8/6/2014 10:12 PM
So what's your new Top 5 Yankees?
8/6/2014 10:14 PM
Sorry, new top 6?
8/6/2014 10:20 PM
If you include entire careers and don't limit it to time as a Yankee only, my list goes:

Ruth
Gehrig
Mantle
Dimaggio
Arod
Berra
Ford
Jeter
Winfield
Gomez
8/7/2014 1:25 PM
I would say after the top 5 there are a whole bunch of guys who are basically equivalent and too hard to break up, and Jeter is one of them.
8/7/2014 9:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...10 Next ▸
Small Hall of Fame Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.