Does the amount of playing time a player gets in spring training affect his fatigue level in the regular season?

I have a prospect whom I've invite to spring training, and I'd like to give him as many at bats as possible while he's playing with the big league coaches, because it seems to me that would help his development. But if he gets, say 70-75 PAs in ST is that going to come back to hurt his stamina level later in the regular season? This guy has a durability of about 65 or so, so I know he'll eventually need rest.

8/1/2014 3:40 PM
Basically, I'm wondering if its better to play a prospect every day in ST or to give him just a few games.
8/1/2014 3:42 PM
Yes, fatigue counts in ST.   However, if he's a prospect, you can deactivate him during the season if he drops below your comfort level.   It's not a big deal for a prospect.
8/1/2014 4:03 PM
When it comes to fatigue, an at bat is at bat and off day is an off day.
8/1/2014 4:43 PM
Thanks for the answers. Just curious, do you veteran HBD players prefer to get your prospects a lot of at bats (or innings pitched) in ST, or do you just put them out there a few games and let them play in the regular season?
8/1/2014 5:11 PM
ST.   Players will get a 2-3 point bump in ST to OD sometimes.  That never happens during the regular season.    Don't know if there's some accelerated development pattern in ST or not but something happens that doesn't in the RS.
8/1/2014 5:15 PM
I limit my prospects to around 25 AB's or 3-4 appearances on the mound in ST.  They seem to get the accelerated ST bump that way.

8/1/2014 5:52 PM

Same as tec.  Around 25 AB's and 10 innings.

8/1/2014 6:47 PM
letting your prospects play in ST gives them free development time with your ML coaches

veterans do not improve in ST, it is pointless to have them play at all, unless someone can definitively prove that your veterans will have "early season rust" if they don't warm up in ST. But i'm almost positive that's not actually a thing that the programmers designed into the game. here are the highlights from my Seattle depth chart:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Timothy Carreon
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Francisco Quintanilla
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bill Presley
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Mark Chen

I
 shake my head every single single that I faced a team's full-strength ML lineup and rotation. take the free development, esp the fielding boosts for pitchers
8/1/2014 8:30 PM
...but of course the OP was should you play them every day to avoid fatigue, I wanted to add that I rotated my position players in & out, probably started position player every other day and for the pitchers I did a 6-man rotation of prospects with pitch counts set to 50, and that way everybody gets to make a few appearances and have a little fun
8/1/2014 8:37 PM
LOL at fielding boosts for pitchers. 

Who even looks at pitcher fielding when making roster decisions?
8/1/2014 8:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2014 8:38:00 PM (view original):
LOL at fielding boosts for pitchers. 

Who even looks at pitcher fielding when making roster decisions?
hey man, some of us are bean counters. every penny counts!
8/1/2014 8:39 PM
8/1/2014 8:46 PM
Another fatigue-related question: a lot of prospects have low durability, in the 55-65 range. The easiest way to avoid fatiguing them without havin to micromanage is to play them against righty pitchers but not against lefties. But if I do this, will that prevent them from improving their vL ratings? Common sense tells me a player won't improve vL if he never faces lefties, but I don't know I the game actually works that way.
8/7/2014 11:34 AM
Pretty sure it doesn't. 
8/7/2014 11:37 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.