From reading these forums it appears that the importance of recruit proximity plays an important role at Div 1A. Most of my time comes from D3 and recently D2 where it doesn't seem that important. D3 at least the extra costs associated with recruiting a guy 600 miles away against a school where the player is 20 miles. $400 a CV adds up quick based on 12 recruits and 36k ................In D2 that additional $400 per CV isn't that big of deal when you have 72k to spend (6k per player). Since I am fairly new to D2 and still building, I notice that even if I have a recruit 1 mile away,   I can't stop someone from 700 miles away from coming in and stealing that player. So is that accurate? ...that the #1 most important recruiting tool in Div 2 is a winning record and thus good prestige?   
2/25/2015 10:57 AM
I think winning matters, but it's not the only thing.  History and prestige matter as well.  If your program has a history of losing games to another, it will lose recruits as well.  Also, system seems to matter.  I run a wishbone, and I have a lot more success recruiting runners and blockers than I do quarterbacks and receivers.
2/25/2015 4:39 PM
Winning, prestige, reputation, location, system and random ****ing chance. Im nearing the end of a recruiting cycle right now: I've lost out on players under a 100 miles away to lesser schools much farther away and I've beaten out better teams closer than me for guys 500 miles away from me. It more a feeling than a science. You have to read the responses you get right. 
2/25/2015 4:58 PM
Posted by johnnyf on 2/25/2015 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Winning, prestige, reputation, location, system and random ****ing chance. Im nearing the end of a recruiting cycle right now: I've lost out on players under a 100 miles away to lesser schools much farther away and I've beaten out better teams closer than me for guys 500 miles away from me. It more a feeling than a science. You have to read the responses you get right. 
I can assure you it's a science.
2/25/2015 8:32 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 2/25/2015 8:32:00 PM (view original):
But apparently it's a SECRET science.  Unless some smarty-pants deigns to enlighten us, we'll just have to figure it out for ourselves.  
2/25/2015 10:52 PM
Posted by greppinfool on 2/25/2015 10:52:00 PM (view original):
But apparently it's a SECRET science.  Unless some smarty-pants deigns to enlighten us, we'll just have to figure it out for ourselves.  
As the rest of us had to do.

To answer the OP.....yes it is easier to recruit distance from higher levels. D1a is an exception. At the lower levels....vision is king. Vision comes from wins. More wins equals seeing higher end recruits and less schools to battle for those recruits. Recruiting is the biggest factor in success at any level. Learn it and learn it well.

Prestige is important in a battle. The less prestige you have the more money you have to spend in a battle to win. Prestige comes from wins....goes hand in hand with vision.
2/25/2015 11:10 PM
Im sure that there is an equation that sort of explains it all, but just reading my conference chat: I'm not the only one in my world who thinks that there's some sort of element of randomness in it. There's either a factor no one knows about(or does and doesn't discuss) or some randomness imo.

Edit: Or we could all just be making the same mistakes lol. Thats possible. 
2/26/2015 6:58 AM (edited)
As superv97 stated, vision is most important and gained by number of wins in a 3 year window. Your vision can go up and down during a season. If your wins drop and thus vision, you can see a player starting a season and not be able recruit the same player at the end. Very important to check and not assume. If you have a player in your vision then prestige and coach ratings come into play. Bottom line though, if you can see'em, you can sign'em with more effort spent than the next coach.
2/26/2015 1:25 PM
johnnyf, look at it this way. I am coming off a National Title at DII and you went 8-5 last season (In reality it is more than one season but it illustrates the point.)

I need 12 recruits, and so do you.

That's 72K each.
I have 18K from playoff rewards, you have 6K

So, now I have 90K to your 78K

The recruits I can see at the top, maybe 5 schools can see and no SIMs
Your best recruits are seen by 60 SIMs and thus have SIMs on them.

Therefore, for my other 11 recruits, I am able to have minimum battles and lock them all up for 45K, conservatively

I have 45K left

You had to battle some, settle some, and get some lesser guys. It cost you 65K

You have 13K left.

We both notice a running back that is Sky's the Limit. He is 1 mile from your campus and 2500 from mine.

Does the distance give you an advantage? For sure. You can send him CVs for 800 and it costs me 2200.

However, you can send him about 15 CV out of your 13K if you consider that you scouted him and need to sign him.

Nonethles, I can send him 20 CV with my 45K. And I have prestige to boot.

In short, it is a science, but at the lower levels prestige doesn't help you win battles, it gives you more options to avoid battles.

DIA is it's on thing, however, as the prestige levels are more significant and more hard coded between Non BCS, BCS and Elite
2/26/2015 1:59 PM
Great example dublinuf.
2/26/2015 3:04 PM
Posted by dublinuf on 2/26/2015 1:59:00 PM (view original):
johnnyf, look at it this way. I am coming off a National Title at DII and you went 8-5 last season (In reality it is more than one season but it illustrates the point.)

I need 12 recruits, and so do you.

That's 72K each.
I have 18K from playoff rewards, you have 6K

So, now I have 90K to your 78K

The recruits I can see at the top, maybe 5 schools can see and no SIMs
Your best recruits are seen by 60 SIMs and thus have SIMs on them.

Therefore, for my other 11 recruits, I am able to have minimum battles and lock them all up for 45K, conservatively

I have 45K left

You had to battle some, settle some, and get some lesser guys. It cost you 65K

You have 13K left.

We both notice a running back that is Sky's the Limit. He is 1 mile from your campus and 2500 from mine.

Does the distance give you an advantage? For sure. You can send him CVs for 800 and it costs me 2200.

However, you can send him about 15 CV out of your 13K if you consider that you scouted him and need to sign him.

Nonethles, I can send him 20 CV with my 45K. And I have prestige to boot.

In short, it is a science, but at the lower levels prestige doesn't help you win battles, it gives you more options to avoid battles.

DIA is it's on thing, however, as the prestige levels are more significant and more hard coded between Non BCS, BCS and Elite
To a large extent, yes you're right. It is a science and full of hard numbers of distance, vision and budgets. If team A has the advantage of distance, money and vision on a prospect, they should be the favorite to sign said prospect if they decide to go after him seriously. But after the initial budgets started to get used, you're largely guessing and feeling your way on things based on what feedback you're getting back since you can only guess(largely) on how much money your opposition for a player has left or who that they're going after. That was my initial point. I'm in a fight right now over a prospect(I won't go into detail in case my opposition is reading this) and it's taken reading the feedback to understand what my opponent is doing since the hard metrics can't tell me what I need to know. 
2/26/2015 4:04 PM (edited)
If you have the cash to put in effort. Bet it like a full house on the poker table. Turning a recruit green might stave off the coach who actually has the better hand in the long run.
2/26/2015 4:10 PM
The only feedback to interpret are the very specific emails referencing who they are leaning towards. Nothing else matters. Don't make things too complicated for yourself.
2/26/2015 4:20 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 2/26/2015 4:20:00 PM (view original):
The only feedback to interpret are the very specific emails referencing who they are leaning towards. Nothing else matters. Don't make things too complicated for yourself.
Thats what I've been doing. "I'm leaning towards," "Just say the word," "Undecided," "want to look around" etc. 
2/26/2015 4:26 PM
Stupid question but where actually do you see your "prestige" levels. I cant seem to find that anywhere.
2/26/2015 4:30 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.