Another Distribution Thread Topic

I've read a few threads about distribution. I just wanted to get more thoughts. The college basketball sim I played before this one had distributions of 1-5, 1 being hardly ever shoot, 5 being shoot a lot. The general rule there was, if a player's FG% was higher than your team's FG%, move his number up. If it was lower than your team's percentage, lower the number. And 54% (for both players and team) was considered really good. Is there a similar rule of thumb here?

Of course, it could very well be I'm just a bad shooting team.

2/26/2015 10:12 AM

I would definilty start there.  Set the ones that look like they'd be good scorers (not just shooters) then set them at 5,  the OK ones to 3 and the crappy ones to 1.  let it play out 5 or 6 games to get a better idea of who really is doing well. then slowly start to adjust up and down.  Once I get an Idea of who I want to score I think of it real terms of points.  If I have a PF that I know is my best player and I want him to avg 20pts then I set him to 20,  if hes gonna be a role player that I see 7 or 8 pts a game then I set him there and so on.

this may not be the best way but its what I try to do.  37% from three is my other threshold,  If a guy is hitting around there then Im OK going -1 if his distro is high, 0 if its low.  If I have a guy that making 45% from 3 then I go the +1 route til his 3pt% starts to take a noticable dive then back off.

2/26/2015 11:43 AM
In general principle, yes...bump the efficient guys up, reduce the touches for the inefficient guys. But definitely forget about that 54 percent benchmark, because that would be crazy high for this sim, especially for PG/SG types. Also, pay attention to IQ and not just the player rating numbers, as its effect is important. I've had very mediocre players from an offensive numbers standpoint who prove to be decent scoring options mainly because of their IQ in the offense. 

I start my teams on a 3-4-5-6 distribution for Fr-Soph-Jr-Sr and then bump upward for players who prove to be efficient. I think the highest I've taken a guy to using this formula is 12 or 13. I know others on here really load up their top 2-3 players. I think distro is probably the one area of this game that most allows people to put their personal touch on the Sim and tweak it to their liking. It's also an area that, for me, differs greatly from year to year as this season's distro pattern might not work for next year's team and I'll have to re-define it to that team's "personality."
2/26/2015 11:55 AM
rednu is SO right!   Since this game is mathematical, each group of players will relate to each other differerently...i,e. team personality.   That's why a player can shoot much worse his senior year than he did previously
2/26/2015 1:02 PM
You may also want to consider how many minutes there playing. For instance if you had a bench guy who is a really good scorer but going to play half as many minutes as everyone else for whatever reason, you're gonna wanna jack his distribution up so that he gets his shots while he's out there.
2/26/2015 1:03 PM
Couple points that don't directly answer your question:

1. Distro is a ratio.   And it's a ratio of guys on the court.   If you're starters are all set at 10, they will all take roughly the same amount of shots when they are on the court together.

2. Shots taken is also modified by who is playing defense AND the defensive settings.   Generally speaking, if your opponents defender is faster and more athletic, your player will TAKE less shots than he "should".

3. Guards will take more shots than post players if they have the same distro.

4. Setting players to ZERO will stop them from taking most shots.    They generally end up taking between .25 and 1 shot per game.

5. I generally adjust my distro based on how is covering who and the defense.   I have 2-5 players on every team I want taking the vast majority of the shots, I'll play with these guys #'s based on the opponent.

6. I run a lot of triangle and my distro often looks like:

15 starter
10 starter
10 (bench scorer)
5 starter
with a bunch of 1's and 0's
2/26/2015 2:42 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I can see this part of the game taking me awhile to pick up.
2/26/2015 10:14 PM
YOu and me both
2/26/2015 10:38 PM
Scaturo - I had thought that a 0 distro was functionally the same as a 1 distro.  Do you notice a difference?
2/27/2015 12:43 AM
Posted by rak on 2/27/2015 12:43:00 AM (view original):
Scaturo - I had thought that a 0 distro was functionally the same as a 1 distro.  Do you notice a difference?
absolutelty there is a difference, I'll post some #'s at work
2/27/2015 7:02 AM
ame MIN FGA Setting Shots per minute OFF %
W. Chan 92 20 2 0.217391 5.9
K. Pollack 112 20 1 0.178571 5.1
N. Standridge 168 18 1 0.107143 4.9
P. O'Donell 101 15 2 0.148515 4.9
P. Crider 112 14 1 0.125 4.4
G. Wulff 58 3 0 0.051724 1
M. Freitas 121 3 0 0.024793 1.2
2/27/2015 12:36 PM
Another Distribution Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.