Ineligible D2 Player Question Topic

I signed an ineligible D2 player a couple of days ago, so I took a bit of risk (I think he's worth it).  There's usually emails that go out that inform me about a player's testing and eligibility status if he is marked as ineligible, but so far I haven't received anything at all.  Has this happened to you guys before?  
3/26/2015 6:37 PM
If he "takes the SAT," you'll get an email letting you know if he became eligible or not as a result. As far as I know, those emails are totally random and do not come out at any specified point in time. If he's listed on his card as ineligible, he'll remain that way until and unless you are notified otherwise. 
3/26/2015 10:39 PM
Have a question - Just picked up a team in D2. I have a player that was ineligible in his first year. He is a Junior now, at the beginning of the season. Do D2 players need to have a 2.7 GPA in order to stay for their 5th year? I know this is the case for D1, but is it the same for D2. Right now he has a 2.0 GPA, so I am also trying to figure out how many minutes of study hall to give him if he needs to get to 2.7 by his senior year. I believe he'd need to average a 3.4 GPA for the next two years, which may not even be possible with this guy.
7/21/2016 8:03 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/21/2016 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Have a question - Just picked up a team in D2. I have a player that was ineligible in his first year. He is a Junior now, at the beginning of the season. Do D2 players need to have a 2.7 GPA in order to stay for their 5th year? I know this is the case for D1, but is it the same for D2. Right now he has a 2.0 GPA, so I am also trying to figure out how many minutes of study hall to give him if he needs to get to 2.7 by his senior year. I believe he'd need to average a 3.4 GPA for the next two years, which may not even be possible with this guy.
No the GPA requirement is only for D1 schools.

Ineligible players signed by D2 schools will sit out the first year but always stay for their 5th year (unless they somehow get drafted or transfer due to lack of play time).

If you are a D1 school and you have a recruit on your roster that was ineligible in his first year (even if that was at a D2 school) will need to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 at the end of his SR season (4th year) in order to possibly qualifying for his 5th year (I've heard rumors that there is a small chance they don't come back for the 5th year).

From the HD FAQ:

Q: How does the eligibility process work? Can I still recruit players that are currently ineligible by WCAA standards?
A: Not all players will pass the WCAA Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse requirements. What that means is that for DI and DII recruits, they must meet both GPA and SAT score requirements. In DI and DII, the requirements are on a sliding scale, the lower the GPA, the higher the SAT score requirement. To play at DIII, the recruit must only have a high school GPA of 2.0 or higher.

If a recruit does not qualify, he may or may not still attend your school as they have to pay their own way the first year. They can not be on scholarship and they can not practice (although they will reserve a scholarship for the next season). At DI schools, the player will only have 3 years of eligibility (depending on their collegiate gpa, they may be granted a 4th year of eligibility if they maintain a 2.7 cumulative GPA or higher) - in both situations, if they choose to play their 4 year of eligibility they will be playing as 5th year Seniors. At DII schools, the player will have 4 years of eligibility. In both situations, they will be eligible to play beginning with their sophomore year, assuming they have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher after their freshman year.

A recruits profile will show if they are eligible or not according to the Clearinghouse requirements - keep in mind that the Clearinghouse only governs DI and DII schools. A player who is listed as ineligible may still be eligible to play immediately in DIII. Recruits who are not eligible will be taking the SAT throughout the season leading up to the next recruiting period. If you are watching that recruit, you will be notified by your assistant coach if he becomes eligible.
7/21/2016 1:41 PM (edited)
Since the ineligible player will have four years of eligibility after sitting out for a year, can I still RS an incoming freshman in the same class, giving me two fifth-year players on my roster?
7/21/2016 1:58 PM
Thanks for the info!
7/21/2016 2:02 PM
Posted by pallas on 7/21/2016 1:58:00 PM (view original):
Since the ineligible player will have four years of eligibility after sitting out for a year, can I still RS an incoming freshman in the same class, giving me two fifth-year players on my roster?
As long as you are not exceeding the limit of 6 recruits being in the same class (you can't have 6 normal freshman plus the ineligible), you are free to RS any of the freshman except you won't be able to RS the ineligible.

Once the ineligible sits out his year, he will be listed as a sophomore.

By the way, RS a player will still list him normally (ex. SR), so the only way to get 2 players listed a 5th year SR, is to recruit 2 ineligibles (which is doable at D2 but unlikely at D1 unless 1 of them is a JUCO transfer/cut).
7/21/2016 2:46 PM (edited)
Posted by buddhagamer on 7/21/2016 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I believe you can't RS an ineligible (I've never seen an instance where a player has stayed at a school for 6 seasons).
Did I misread the FAQ? I'm a D2 school. Based on my understanding, the ineligible player with have four years after their ineligible year. Is this incorrect?
7/21/2016 2:44 PM
not what he was asking. You can't RS an ineligible.... but to answer his question... Yes, unless the RS backs a kid into a class with 6 in it.

If you keep their grades above the required level an ineligible will be on your roster in D1 and D2 for 5 seasons, (there are no ineligibles in D3) unless they EE or transfer.
They can not be red-shirted.
and having an ineligible on your roster has no bearing on anything else, unless it somehow brings your roster into the 6 man per class limit humans have.
7/21/2016 2:53 PM (edited)
Posted by teamrc on 7/21/2016 2:46:00 PM (view original):
not what he was asking. You can't RS an ineligible.... but to answer his question... Yes, unless the RS backs a kid into a class with 6 in it.
Thanks, teamrc.
7/21/2016 2:47 PM
Posted by pallas on 7/21/2016 2:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 7/21/2016 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I believe you can't RS an ineligible (I've never seen an instance where a player has stayed at a school for 6 seasons).
Did I misread the FAQ? I'm a D2 school. Based on my understanding, the ineligible player with have four years after their ineligible year. Is this incorrect?
Yes, you will get four seasons.

1st season: listed as FR (can't play or practice so sink all your practice minutes into SH)
2nd season: listed as SO
3rd season: listed as JR
4th season: listed as SR
5th season: listed as SR/5
7/21/2016 2:50 PM
I may have to be more open to recruiting ineligibles.
7/21/2016 3:10 PM
Posted by pallas on 7/21/2016 3:10:00 PM (view original):
One thing most are unsure of is the ability to have 2 or more ineligibles in the same recruiting class actually show up (and not have 1 go JUCO instead). I don't think being D2 improves this situation (I assume there are instances where D2 schools are recruiting ineligibles and they still go the JUCO route instead of showing up).

I have yet to hear about any human coach being able to have 2 ineligibles (or more) in the same recruiting class and have multiple ineligibles show up at their school (Simmy seems to be able to do it and WIS says nothing prevents it but I haven't seen it myself or heard of it on the forums).
7/21/2016 3:21 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 7/21/2016 3:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 7/21/2016 3:10:00 PM (view original):
One thing most are unsure of is the ability to have 2 or more ineligibles in the same recruiting class actually show up (and not have 1 go JUCO instead). I don't think being D2 improves this situation (I assume there are instances where D2 schools are recruiting ineligibles and they still go the JUCO route instead of showing up).

I have yet to hear about any human coach being able to have 2 ineligibles (or more) in the same recruiting class and have multiple ineligibles show up at their school (Simmy seems to be able to do it and WIS says nothing prevents it but I haven't seen it myself or heard of it on the forums).
This. I've also seen Sim coached teams with two SR/5's on the roster, but still have never heard of a human coach signing two or more in a single class AND having more than one show up. Just concurring with Buddha's post.
7/21/2016 4:59 PM
Here is an instance of one but its in the BETA world:

http://test.whatifsports.net/WhatIfSports/hd/TeamProfile/Roster.aspx?tid=16915
7/21/2016 6:55 PM
12 Next ▸
Ineligible D2 Player Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.