Progressive League Starting in 1976 - NEW! -FULL Topic

Agreed^
5/7/2015 12:27 PM
 Not sure I like the "5-season window" for trading draft picks.  should be closer to 2 seasons?  
5/8/2015 10:45 AM
Posted by ff09 on 5/8/2015 10:45:00 AM (view original):
 Not sure I like the "5-season window" for trading draft picks.  should be closer to 2 seasons?  
We can't trade two years picks in a row so I think 3 year window would be the smallest we could do.
5/8/2015 10:56 AM
Oops, missed that part.  3 years (2 picks) seems good.  Any other thoughts from owners?    btw, Im in.
5/8/2015 11:59 AM
If we can't trade picks two years in a row, I like the 5 year window
5/8/2015 12:09 PM
Posted by ff09 on 5/8/2015 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Oops, missed that part.  3 years (2 picks) seems good.  Any other thoughts from owners?    btw, Im in.
Awesome,  we're over half full now!  You just need to pick your franchise now.
5/8/2015 3:51 PM
Agree with 3 years- 2 picks.  In most situations, no new owner would have an interest in a team in the hole with no 1st round pick for 2 of the next 3 or 4 years.
5/8/2015 5:14 PM
Just a thought. What if the 1st 5 or so picks were given 5 year "contracts" after which they are thrown into the draft pool? Would create more mobility and resolve the problem of a lean draft year. 
5/8/2015 5:37 PM
Posted by thomcat on 5/8/2015 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Agree with 3 years- 2 picks.  In most situations, no new owner would have an interest in a team in the hole with no 1st round pick for 2 of the next 3 or 4 years.
This is a good point, but the only way you would be trading three number ones, would be if you had a competitive team and the trades made you true title contenders for the next five years. I don't think there would be a hard time finding a new owner, and I doubt anyone would leave a team in that position. 

As to the 5 year contracts: if we do that I am definitely out. That would be a terrible punishment for landing in the lottery. 
5/8/2015 10:13 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 5/8/2015 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thomcat on 5/8/2015 5:14:00 PM (view original):
This is a good point, but the only way you would be trading three number ones, would be if you had a competitive team and the trades made you true title contenders for the next five years. I don't think there would be a hard time finding a new owner, and I doubt anyone would leave a team in that position. 

As to the 5 year contracts: if we do that I am definitely out. That would be a terrible punishment for landing in the lottery. 

I'm not doing that we're just doing a regular progressive.

Omegax sitemailed me and took the Spurs.  That brings us to 14 in.  I'm still waiting on FF09 to pick his franchise though.

5/9/2015 11:23 AM
Utah Jazz
5/9/2015 12:42 PM
I love getting in on the "ground floor" of progressives / regressives, but not sure I can commit to this yet. However, since I have been around here a long time, have been in a ton of these things, and even Commished one for over 20 seasons, I can't resist the urge to comment that I think the 5-year window is far too long. Finding new owners for these Leagues is never easy, and with a smaller and smaller owner pool it's just going to keep getting harder. Few if any owners are going to want to take a team without upcoming Draft picks, and if those picks have been traded there is a very good chance they were traded for short-term success that is now over and the team stinks. Take that FWIW, but I'm just trying to help, whether I eventually get in or not.
5/9/2015 12:56 PM
Posted by all3 on 5/9/2015 12:56:00 PM (view original):
I love getting in on the "ground floor" of progressives / regressives, but not sure I can commit to this yet. However, since I have been around here a long time, have been in a ton of these things, and even Commished one for over 20 seasons, I can't resist the urge to comment that I think the 5-year window is far too long. Finding new owners for these Leagues is never easy, and with a smaller and smaller owner pool it's just going to keep getting harder. Few if any owners are going to want to take a team without upcoming Draft picks, and if those picks have been traded there is a very good chance they were traded for short-term success that is now over and the team stinks. Take that FWIW, but I'm just trying to help, whether I eventually get in or not.

Those are some good points.  

Is there anyone opposed to changing it to a 3 year window?

5/9/2015 1:16 PM
im for it. 
5/10/2015 1:05 PM
+1
5/10/2015 6:55 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Progressive League Starting in 1976 - NEW! -FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.