Good world, bad owner Topic

Will sitemailed me and called me a dick. My post was mis-understood; i think there is nothing wrong Wills choice to be a Tanker. He plays within the rules. I am not sure what is being asked of him.....
5/22/2015 6:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You said that three hours ago.   And two days ago.

Why do you play the game?
5/22/2015 8:08 PM
Clearly the only reasonable way to run HBD is for MikeT to approve every budget, every trade, and every lineup. For every team, in every world.

You think 70s D isn't good enough for SS? Get it voted in as a world rule or start a world where that's a rule.

You don't like how people rank draft picks? Form a world where you rank every prospect for every team in every draft.

If I took over a team w the #1 pick, and the best prospect wasn't a stud, of course I'd rank the best player who probably won't sign (represented by his mother) #1 and get 2 top picks the next season w 18/18 in those budgets. If you know this game, you'd be a fool not to.

Rebuilding = Tanking. There's a grey area in between that every single person who's played HBD a while would define differently.

I'm sure people will line up to play in a world with just one rule. MikeT doesn't like what you do, you can't come back next season.

5/22/2015 10:39 PM

There.  Be a dick, get deleted.   Thanks for playing.

5/22/2015 11:02 PM
How does one lose interest in their team? It's an honest question. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm bored, I tinker like crazy. 

And by tinker I mean look at player records and see my guy has the 5th-best season tally of 2-out RBI. Go, baby, go.
5/23/2015 12:44 AM
I think he's saying he lost interest in winning games.  

Because he was tanking.
5/23/2015 6:52 AM
Posted by frymaster99 on 5/23/2015 12:44:00 AM (view original):
How does one lose interest in their team? It's an honest question. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm bored, I tinker like crazy. 

And by tinker I mean look at player records and see my guy has the 5th-best season tally of 2-out RBI. Go, baby, go.
I like looking at player records for my team and for the world, then seeing if any of the players with records are elderly free agents that I can add to one of my minor league teams. Gotta sell tickets to those games somehow!
5/23/2015 10:10 AM
Ha, I do that too. I've even tried it with the ML team. I signed this guy:

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2799765

He was hurt all season, but I signed him after spring training so that I could stash him on the DL, and use him as a long reliever next year. He's the world leader in career wins.
5/23/2015 12:10 PM
No, start out with your first sentence as an insulting *****, get deleted.    I've done that many, many times.   Will continue to do so because that turns threads into a ******* match.   Sometimes I don't mind, sometimes I do.
5/23/2015 12:34 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/23/2015 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Ha, I do that too. I've even tried it with the ML team. I signed this guy:

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2799765

He was hurt all season, but I signed him after spring training so that I could stash him on the DL, and use him as a long reliever next year. He's the world leader in career wins.
Every time I do that I hope I can get that player as a coach when they retire with me, but it never happens!
5/23/2015 10:08 PM

Owner takes over a team mid-season.   Since the MWR doesn't apply, he tanks it up near the end to secure the 3rd pick.   Only reason he got caught was because of a L10.   He'd signed a 70ish D across the board FA after roster expansion to play SS.   Ran a respectable payroll(60-80m) but stayed in bottom two, just above MWR number, while collecting high picks.   Only signed one high dollar IFA but got a few mid-level ones during his "rebuild".   Built a pretty good team but had to leave HBD for personal reasons.   Not that I cared because I held a grudge for tanking in that first season.

I give owners who take over teams midseason the choice, you can have this season count towards your MWR or at the start of next season you can have first choice of all other available teams .

There is no perfect world in this situation, its not a fair situation no matter what you do. Either the owner gets a free half season to do what he wants compared to new owners joining the world or he gets penalized for the past owner bailing mid season.
5/24/2015 5:25 PM
It is obviously a behavior issue when an individual tanks; however it is a systems issue that encourages it in the first place. You must encourage (discourage tanking) winning. This is just an initial thought, but give the top pick to the 5th worst record, second pick to the4th worst record, etc.
5/25/2015 1:33 PM
I suggested something a lot more aggressive when tanking became a "thing".    10-1, 9-2, etc, etc.   And 16-11, 15-12......

It was rather unpopular in the forums.

Truth is, it might do more harm that good.   You don't want teams losing games at the end if they're playing a team in contention.   But, if you're sitting at 13-10, I think owners would be more inclined to drop from 13 to 10.     You might have 5-6 teams in that group all doing their best to lose, or win, over the last dozen games.
5/25/2015 2:52 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Good world, bad owner Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.