When asked about the TOC and Open League Teams vs. Progressive League teams here is the response I received from Customer Support. On the plus side, they did respond in a timely manner.

"It's not possible to remove your team from the TOC. Teams are entered into a TOC based on the underlying value of the players on the team. As such it shouldn't matter what type of league the team came from."

Seriously? Does anyone who knows how this works believe that?

5/26/2015 7:06 PM
I agree. If they offered more features for progressive leagues it wouldn't be hard to separate them from open league teams for TOC's. It would still be unfair to certain types of teams, but it would make TOC's more interesting, in my opinion.
5/26/2015 11:52 PM
I've got a 1979 NY Yankees twist team that's about to be mauled by an OL cookie team.  I'd rather listen to a 30-minute Carmine Appice drum solo than read the boxscores coming in the next three days.
5/26/2015 11:57 PM
Game 1's done:

Player of the Game
Addie Joss tosses a 8-hit shutout

5/27/2015 1:39 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by crazystengel on 5/27/2015 1:39:00 AM (view original):
Game 1's done:

Player of the Game

Game 2's done:

Player of the Game
Addie Joss tosses a 5-hit shutout

(1907 Joss, this time)

5/28/2015 1:35 AM
At least you're making him use up Joss with complete games - TOC fatigue will come back to bite him in the ***.  Or so we can hope ...
5/28/2015 1:59 AM
Don't hope for that, not that one guys fault for getting matched with Stengel. Too bad about the TOC though
5/28/2015 2:45 AM
Nothing personal about his opponent, don't even know who it is. Just a general comment on the glut of Cookie Teams. Of course, if Admin would give us an update ...
5/28/2015 5:10 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 5/26/2015 7:06:00 PM (view original):
When asked about the TOC and Open League Teams vs. Progressive League teams here is the response I received from Customer Support. On the plus side, they did respond in a timely manner.

"It's not possible to remove your team from the TOC. Teams are entered into a TOC based on the underlying value of the players on the team. As such it shouldn't matter what type of league the team came from."

This is how economists think. The entire economic model of free trade is based on the work of David Ricardo, and his famous theory of "comparative advantage". The example he used is that since Portugal makes good wine and Britain makes lousy wine but good steel, Britain should concentrate on making steel and Portugal should not industsrialize but sell wine to Britain and make the proceeds to buy what it needs from Britain.

All commodiities and products are the same, differentiated only by their values in currency. If two sets of products are exchanged, each selling for the same value, neither side can have gained any advantage. 

The problem? with wine you can sell wine. With steel you can build an inconquerable navy, dominate the seas and the world economy and politics for an entire century, avoid ever being successfully invaded even by Hitler and Napoleon and rule and empire encompassing much of the world on which the sun never sets. 

Another example of this came during the Great Depression and the Second World War when the previously quite prosperous countries of the Southern Cone of Latin America (Uruguay arguably built the first real welfare state by the 1920s) were suddenly cut off from world trade on which they had depended. This was a disaster for Chile, which mainly produced copper for export (and now sells wine !), since if you can't sell the copper, and you don't have a big enough population and economy to use all that you make it is pretty useless. But Argentina's main export was beef. You can eat beef. So living conditions for people in Argentina actually improved, or at least the level of protein in their diet did during these years.

So no, folks, statistics do not cover all of reality. The map is not the territory.
5/28/2015 7:21 AM
Posted by pinotfan on 5/28/2015 5:10:00 AM (view original):
Nothing personal about his opponent, don't even know who it is. Just a general comment on the glut of Cookie Teams. Of course, if Admin would give us an update ...
Yeah, I'm not criticizing the other owner at all.  It's WIS that's allowed this to happen.  
5/28/2015 10:32 AM
Posted by italyprof on 5/28/2015 7:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seamar_116 on 5/26/2015 7:06:00 PM (view original):

This is how economists think. The entire economic model of free trade is based on the work of David Ricardo, and his famous theory of "comparative advantage". The example he used is that since Portugal makes good wine and Britain makes lousy wine but good steel, Britain should concentrate on making steel and Portugal should not industsrialize but sell wine to Britain and make the proceeds to buy what it needs from Britain.

All commodiities and products are the same, differentiated only by their values in currency. If two sets of products are exchanged, each selling for the same value, neither side can have gained any advantage. 

The problem? with wine you can sell wine. With steel you can build an inconquerable navy, dominate the seas and the world economy and politics for an entire century, avoid ever being successfully invaded even by Hitler and Napoleon and rule and empire encompassing much of the world on which the sun never sets. 

Another example of this came during the Great Depression and the Second World War when the previously quite prosperous countries of the Southern Cone of Latin America (Uruguay arguably built the first real welfare state by the 1920s) were suddenly cut off from world trade on which they had depended. This was a disaster for Chile, which mainly produced copper for export (and now sells wine !), since if you can't sell the copper, and you don't have a big enough population and economy to use all that you make it is pretty useless. But Argentina's main export was beef. You can eat beef. So living conditions for people in Argentina actually improved, or at least the level of protein in their diet did during these years.

So no, folks, statistics do not cover all of reality. The map is not the territory.
How you got this response to that comment escapes me ...

Not every country is blessed with abundant and diverse resources.  The best for which most can hope is to diversify as much as possible (to minimize exposure to vagaries of the economy) and exploit their strengths to make up for the rest. Not all products are the same, but when freely traded each side receives equal value.

Historical aside: the British Navy had nothing to do with the decision to call off Unternehmen Seelöwe in 1940, and navy steel had nothing to do with Napoleon not invading England either.

And yes folks, statistics do cover all of reality.  It's all in how you look at them.
5/28/2015 3:50 PM
If a progressive lasts 32 season's WIS should automatically set up a tournament of champions with those winners
5/28/2015 7:12 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/28/2015 1:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by crazystengel on 5/27/2015 1:39:00 AM (view original):
Game 1's done:

Player of the Game

Game 2's done:

Player of the Game
Addie Joss tosses a 5-hit shutout

(1907 Joss, this time)

Game 3, and the series, is done:

Player of the Game
Addie Joss throws a complete game victory

We did manage to score a single run in the final game, so there's that, at least...

5/29/2015 1:38 AM
My comment was by way of an analogy: systems that seek to represent the real world effects of things by mapping them onto money values ultimately fail. I hold to that position. As to pinotfan's rejoinder, I will ignore the religious fundamentalist expression of faith that is the first half of his answer and address only the historical factual (and partly corrective I admit, since I was sloppier in one historical example than I should have been) part of his reply:

"Historical aside: the British Navy had nothing to do with the decision to call off Unternehmen Seelöwe in 1940, and navy steel had nothing to do with Napoleon not invading England either."

Okay, everyone knows that the Battle of Britain was fought in the air. Why? Because Hitler couldn't invade Britain because he could not get past the British Navy. That is sort of a no-brainer.

Second, about Napoleon (this is the one partly corrective aspect of my esteemed colleague's reply): the British ships were of course still wooden in 1815. The cannon and cannoballs on those ships were iron dude. 

5/29/2015 6:17 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.