Question about the career league stats database Topic

Does anyone know how the Career Diamond League database is organized?

I was playing around with some ideas and noticed two odd things:

First, it is possible to look people up under a range of specific seasons, which could make for some interesting theme leagues. But if you look up players from 2009 to 2014 nothing comes up. Only if the earliest season set for the research if 2008 or earlier with the end point being 2014 do you get anyone. 

Why is that? Players that played before the earliest season you put in come up otherwise, so long as they played within the parameters of a season to season range - so Red Schoendienst for example, comes up if you look up players from 1960 to 1964 let's say, but not if you start in 1964 to 1969, because he had retired before 64. 

So it can't be that you have to have had a minimum number of seasons and 2009.14 doesn't get you say 7 seasons in the big leagues yet, since players that played during a certain range of time appear. Or do they? Is there anyone with fewer than 7 seasons in the career database? 

Didi Gregorius doesn't come up, so maybe that is why, minimum of 7 years or maybe more, haven't found the minimum yet.

Second, what determines the PA? I noticed that Robinson Cano has only 263 PA in his career iteration. Yet according to baseball-reference, his 162 game average over his 11 year career is 684 PA, .308 avg. 22 HR. His Career Diamond League persona instead comes in at 263 .304 7. 

Why? Are the PA averages based on some minimum number of career seasons? Horace Clarke has 583 PA in the Career Diamond Leagues, yet played 10 years and his 162 average was 668. 

Anyone know how WIS determines these values? I continue to think that the Career Leagues are probably a relatively untapped mine of potential fun, and one or two progs now exist using them, for example, but since the money values are such that at $80 mil almost everyone would have the same players or at least the same pitchers, they are not an alternative to the endless boredom of the repetitive OL rosters. Maybe a low salary cap league could do something interesting for instance. But first step would be to better understand why these idiosyncratic player values and how they are calculated.
5/28/2015 1:01 PM
Question about the career league stats database Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.