All-star game Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
YOUR SECRET INTANGIBLES = WHO YOU FIND SEXY!?!?!?!?
5/14/2016 5:02 PM
I don't see any way to justify voting for Castellanos. If you're going by this year's stats, you vote for Machado. If you go by this year's stats moderated by track record, you vote for Machado, Donaldson, or Beltre. If you're going entirely on track record then you go pretty much just for Beltre, since Longoria is batting something like .230.

This is one reason why I wish they'd push the start of All-Star voting back by at least 3 or 4 weeks from where it is now. When voting first opened I don't think any team had played 20 games. Those samples are absurdly small. Even now, does anybody - other than the rabid Tigers fan - think Castellanos is remotely this good? (Hint: no, no they don't)
5/14/2016 7:02 PM
FWIW, both BBR and Fangraphs have the current WAR leaderboard as 1. Machado 2. Donaldson 3. Shaw before Castellanos even starts to figure in...
5/14/2016 7:11 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/14/2016 7:11:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, both BBR and Fangraphs have the current WAR leaderboard as 1. Machado 2. Donaldson 3. Shaw before Castellanos even starts to figure in...
Haven't been paying attention too much this year. Know Castellanos and Machado are having insane years. And Castellanos has one of the higher line drive rates and hard hit rate. Right? Don't know about Shaw and Donaldson thogh
5/14/2016 7:20 PM
I think defense and volume are where he loses to Shaw and Donaldson. They aren't hitting with him, at least not quite. Volume you can't entirely hold against him - he's missed 2 of the Tigers games, which is more than Shaw and Donaldson combined, but it's a perfectly reasonable number and reflects the managers preference. If anything, I think a lot of managers under-rest their stars. But the defense is a factor.
5/14/2016 9:19 PM
I will find out which crappy AL players have a chance to make the team and vote for them the max amount I can, just like last season.
5/14/2016 10:03 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/14/2016 10:53 PM
Well if anyone cares, here's who I voted for:
Since it's an all-star game, I didn't vote for my team's players, I voted based on who was performing the best, the name itself (like Mike Trout vs Cameron Maybin) and if I already voted for that players teammate. I tried to make it one representative per team, I tried.
For the AL
C: Salvador Perez Royals
1B: Miguel Cabrera Tigers
2B: Jose Altuve Astros
3B: Manny Machado Orioles
SS: Xander Bogaerts Red Sox
LF: Ian Desmond Rangers
CF: Mike Trout Angels
RF: Michael Saunders Blue Jays
DH: David Ortiz Red Sox
that is where I tried to make it one representative, but it's Ortiz's farewell tour and he and Xander are having amazing seasons.

Now for NL:
C: Jonathon Lucroy Brewers
could've put Ramos here but I already voted Daniel Murphy and I'd like to keep it 1 rep per team
1B: Paul Goldschmidt Diamondbacks
I could've put Brandon Belt here but Paul is a bigger name and I'm sure the Giants are gonna have atleast 2 pitchers make the roster
2B: Daniel Murphy Nationals
3B: Martin Prado Marlins
SS: Corey Seager Dodgers
LF: Starling Marte Pirates
CF: Odubel Herrera Phillies
RF: Carlos Gonzalez Rockies

Just my opinion, critique of you want.
Also curious to hear your opinions

I only used 5 votes, I'll change it and vote more the closer to the game we get.
6/23/2016 2:39 AM
Kinda weird to pick Prado over Arenado.
6/23/2016 7:16 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/23/2016 7:16:00 PM (view original):
Kinda weird to pick Prado over Arenado.
I skipped right over him. I'll replace Prado with Arenado with my next votes, might replace CarGo with Yelich or Ozuna
6/24/2016 2:48 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/14/2016 9:19:00 PM (view original):
I think defense and volume are where he loses to Shaw and Donaldson. They aren't hitting with him, at least not quite. Volume you can't entirely hold against him - he's missed 2 of the Tigers games, which is more than Shaw and Donaldson combined, but it's a perfectly reasonable number and reflects the managers preference. If anything, I think a lot of managers under-rest their stars. But the defense is a factor.
Has anyone, anywhere, in any sport, tuned in to an all-star game to see defense?
7/8/2016 9:50 AM
I'm pretty sure the NFL, NBA and NHL extravaganzas have no defense.
7/8/2016 9:55 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/8/2016 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/14/2016 9:19:00 PM (view original):
Has anyone, anywhere, in any sport, tuned in to an all-star game to see defense?
In baseball? I'd say so. Ozzie Smith was an All-Star 15 times. Brooks was an All-Star 16 years in a row. You think those guys were put in for their bats?
7/8/2016 2:34 PM
No. They were put in because they were popular players with fans.
7/8/2016 3:17 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸
All-star game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.