SUNYAC TURNAROUND CHALLENGE Topic

yeah, I should have included the stuff about 1.5 wins cross division.  Is there any way to count that other than manually?  It might be a consideration.
I guess we ought to call these points not wins.

One extra point for a CT bye is the same as getting the point for winning the first round. Do we want to just not lose ground there or do we want to reward those who earned a bye? If if half points are possible, lets do 1.5 points for the 1st round CT bye. 

7/2/2015 7:46 PM
Not to be presumptuous, but so we can get an idea of what it might look like, here are some concise proposed scoring rules. Please feel free to pick apart any or all of them.
  • Until the majority of coaches agree pre-season to modify the scoring of non conference wins (perhaps after experimenting with the 120-0 strategy) each non-conference, regular season games in the same division, conference tournament, and PIT win will be worth ONE (1) point. 
  • Regular season conference wins vs opponents in the opposite division are worth 1.5 points.
  • Earning a first round bye in the Conference tournament is worth a bonus 1.5 points. 
  • Earning a spot in the NT is worth 2 points. 
  • Wins in the NT ascend in reward value.
  • Winning the first round game will be worth 1.5 points.
  • Winning in the second round will be worth 2.0 points.
  • Winning your Sweet 16 game is worth 2.5 points.
  • Winning your Elite 8 game is worth 3.0 points.
  • Winning your Final Four game is worth 3.5 points. 
  • Winning the National Championship earns a bonus value of 5 points. 
7/2/2015 7:57 PM
I'd add a 3 pts bonus for someone who wins the CT? I think we need to make the CT relevant. Rest is allright.
7/2/2015 10:59 PM
zorzii are you in this conference? What id are you using?
7/2/2015 11:17 PM
Why are opposite division wins worth more?
7/3/2015 10:24 PM
Why are opposite division wins worth more?
7/3/2015 10:24 PM
Another thing to consider would be making Conference games against the opposite division worth 1.5 pts. This would offset any unfair advantage if say 4 or 5 of the perennial top teams of the Conference all ended up in the same division. The teams in that division would have a much more difficult time winning games compared to a top team in a division with the bottom 4 or 5 teams in the Conference.

That's by AffVid2
7/4/2015 1:34 AM
dac, I like everything you have there except the following:

- I think a CT bye should just be worth 1 point.  No reason to award extra points beyond 1 win when those who have a bye already are getting other advantages.  Also, there's a feasible scenario where two teams have the same amount of conference wins, but only one gets the bye based on tiebreakers.  That team definitely shouldn't be getting an extra half point.

- Maybe just award 1 point for making the NT?  If NT wins ascend in award value...1 point fits better. 1.0 pt for NT bid, 1.5 for 1st round win, 2.0 for 2nd round, etc.

- I'd be fine with awarding maybe 1 extra point for winning the CT, but probably don't think it should be more than that.

7/4/2015 2:26 AM
I agree with the changes pepwaves has suggested, although I would change CT wins to 1.5 bonus points and leave the bye at 1.5 bonus points. Also would reduce PI wins to .5 bonus points. Winning the PI would be worth 2.5 pts which would be the equivalent to winning a 1st Rd NT game which seems fair to me.

This is a competition to see which coach can do the best job at turning around an unsuccessful team. For me, Conference head to head & CT play over several seasons and success in the NT (and to a much lesser degree the PI) are the best ways of determining a winner. It's very difficult to come up with a perfect system, especially when something like this has not been tried before, but this set of rules seems like a reasonable way to determine which coach does the best job in this challenge.
  • Competition starts in Phelan Season 87.
  • Until the majority of coaches agree pre-season to modify the scoring of non conference wins (perhaps after experimenting with the 120-0 strategy) the non-conference games will not be counted in the challenge.
  • Regular season conference wins vs opponents in the same division are worth 1 point each.
  • Regular season conference wins vs opponents in the opposite division are worth 1.5 points each.
  • Earning a first round bye in the Conference tournament is worth a bonus 1.5 points. 
  • Wins in the Conference Tournament are worth 1.5 points each.
  • Winning Conference tournament is worth a bonus 1 point.
  • Wins in the PI are worth .5 points each.
  • Earning a spot in the NT is worth a bonus 1 point. 
  • Wins in the NT ascend in reward value.
  • Winning the National Championship is worth 5 points.

7/8/2015 1:34 PM (edited)
limited discussion, but maybe everyone else generally agrees...

points of "contention" so far are Non-conference games counting or not and then CT win value (and a corresponding CT Bye bonus value to match), PIT win value, and value of winning the CT. 

Affvid, everyone else that voted (9) on the non-conference issue voted to count non-conference games in some capacity, so I think we ought to go that way. 

I see the issue of the PIT vs NT thing. Winning the PIT where a win = a point gives someone 5 points, while a first or 2nd rd NT loss only gives 1-2.5 (or 2-3.5 if my proposed 2 pt bonus for making the NT field applied).

An issue arises that in a way supports Affvid though, as if we do the PIT wins at .5 then they are worth less than non-conference games, and that seems silly. Yet getting 5 points for the PIT and only 3 for a NT 2 doesn't seem fair either.  So we can compromise some maybe. Make non-conference wins worth .5 points, that way they match the PIT value of .5 as well, but they still count as most users desire, and the PIT remains of lesser value than the NT.

For fairness (tiebreaker) reasons as pep suggested, lets keep the CT Bye bonus the same as the value of a CT win to not penalize the bye earner for a missed win opp but also not rewarding him for a coin flip. 

Awarding 1 bonus pt for winning the CT seems reasonable. 
7/8/2015 9:02 PM
Based on proposals and earlier polls, here is my recommendation for our Official Rules:

• Competition starts in Phelan Season 87. (Approved by 50% of members in prior poll)
  • Until the majority of coaches agree pre-season to modify the scoring of non conference wins (perhaps after experimenting with the 120-0 strategy) each non-conference win will be worth 0.5 points.  
  • Regular season conference wins vs opponents in the same division are worth 1 point each.
  • Regular season conference wins vs opponents in the opposite division are worth 1.5 points each.
  • Wins in the Conference Tournament are worth 1.5 points each.
  • Winning Conference tournament is worth a bonus 1 point.
  • Wins in the PI are worth .5 points each.
  • Earning a spot in the NT is worth a bonus 1 point. 
  • Wins in the NT ascend in reward value:
  • Winning the National Championship is worth 5 points.
These rules are subject to change in the future after review and a vote from the participant members. Should such a vote be simple majority or some other quorum?

Votes: 15
(Last vote received: 11/1/2015 5:11 PM)
7/8/2015 9:12 PM
Personally, I still think non-conference games should not be counted at all because it would allow teams to schedule as they choose and eliminate the whole SOS vs actual wins debate, but I can live with the 0.5 point compromise.

I would say there should be at least 8 votes (67%) required to change or add a rule.

7/9/2015 11:31 AM (edited)
As far as payment.  Everyone agree to a GC amount. So if 8 people are in for the money and we each agree to $20 gift card that will be $160 in gift cards.  1st place gets $100 and second place gets $60 and you can send it straight to the winners site mail.  What do you all think?
7/9/2015 3:20 PM
How should rule changes be passed?     
Votes: 13
(Last vote received: 11/1/2015 5:12 PM)
7/9/2015 8:44 PM
I was thinking $10 for the challenge but will go $20 if that's what people want.   I am not real comfortable going much above $20.  
7/9/2015 9:54 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
SUNYAC TURNAROUND CHALLENGE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.