SUNYAC TURNAROUND CHALLENGE Topic

I was thinking the cost of one season...about $13
7/10/2015 2:06 AM
Posted by pepwaves on 7/10/2015 2:06:00 AM (view original):
I was thinking the cost of one season...about $13
But it looks like we only can do multiples of $10.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, which wouldn't be the first time.
7/10/2015 9:25 AM
I believe that's true. If you have points to use it might be different, but I don't have any banked points... I'm cool with either $10 or $20
7/10/2015 8:54 PM
People who are paying to play. How much?
Votes: 10
(Last vote received: 11/1/2015 5:12 PM)
7/13/2015 3:57 PM
I think the $100 may have been a bit of a joke, but, the reason I voted for it, and the reason I would be in favor of something higher than $20, would be to expand the number of prizes. Ideally, this will be a close competition with several teams having a shot at any of the top spots throughout the competition. More than likely though, for one reason or another, there could be a few teams that set themselves apart from everyone else right from the start. The bulk of the prize money should go towards the overall competition as we have defined it, but having additional payoffs for a variety of other things that a team could win despite not being in the running for one of the top prizes could help hold the interest of all the teams and could possibly cut down on any attrition we might experience. Just a thought. Like always, will go along with what the majority wants.
7/13/2015 6:57 PM
Another way to look at it is that this competition, from start to finish, will last over a year to complete 10 seasons. How much will you spend on X (X could equal Starbucks, cable TV, golf, movies, beer, etc....) for other types of entertainment in that year? Obviously, the coaches who joined this challenge take HD at least somewhat seriously and invest a good amount of time on this game. Dropping a few extra $ to make this particular pursuit more interesting makes sense to me. (But, I'm a bit odd, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Lol)
7/13/2015 7:17 PM
Yeah, the $100 was a bit of a joke, but I would be in for that.  That's just because I like to gamble.
7/14/2015 10:43 AM
I think the point about it being over a longer period helps.  Yes, when first looking $100 seemed like a bit, but in reality I already dumped $100 for the challenge, and this would be spread over the 10 seasons we're doing.  I also like the idea of it not being a winner take all, having different tiers or different prizes.

that being said, how do we coordinate 12 guys (or x number of guys) kicking in money?
7/14/2015 11:34 AM
I don't want to do $100, then I would have to read the rules......
7/15/2015 9:17 PM
How about something like this. $50 entry fee. 9 paying players = $450 total.

For the overall challenge competition:
1st = $100
2nd = $50
3rd = $30
Total payout = $180

Also award $10 for most points earned (1 pt for in division win, 1.5 pts for out of division win) in regular season Conference play each season (starting in season 87) and $10 for the Conference Tournament winner each season (starting in season 87). The teams that finish high in the overall challenge would win additional money here, but this would provide incentive for teams who might find themselves out of the overall competition after a few seasons to still have an opportunity to win some prize money.
Total payout = $140

That would leave an additional $130 available. We could use that money for 26 $5 prizes for a bunch of different random fun things that everyone would have a shot at no matter what the quality of their team was. We could have a $5 prize for whoever has the player with the most points scored in a season, and most rebounds, most assists, etc... in a season. There could be a $5 prize for the biggest upset (using year end RPI rankings) in Conference play. A $5 prize for the largest victory margin in Conference play. Maybe even have some $5 booby prizes like worst overall Conference record or most turnovers in a game. You get the idea.     
7/17/2015 11:53 AM (edited)
Hmmm, I like that.  I like the idea of a bunch of prizes to keep everyone involved, but overall challenge winner pays basically zero for this
7/17/2015 2:17 PM
yeah, gotta do better than return your investment...plus I think it was like $10 minimum so sending $5 prizes would be tough. Some kind of scaled back version of this (or scaled up depending on POV) maybe...

Don't pay 3rd. 

$200 1st place
$150 2nd place

10 $10 "little" prizes.  I know its less than what was proposed, but only the 9 coaches who payed in should be eligible for those prizes anyway, right? There's a good chance they can win something this way I think?
7/18/2015 3:00 PM
Though I usually enjoy challenges like this where money is involved (fantasy football, poker), I'm not sure I want to dish out $50 or more for basically one reason.  We can't (as far as I know) cash out the money we'd earn.  So, we'd be stuck using it for HD purposes, which isn't too valuable to me considering I haven't paid real money for HD in about a year.

I'd be willing to go up to $20 for this challenge, but probably not more than that. 

Now if we do all this through paypal or something, I might be interested.  But, there is definitely some risk involved in that since we don't know each other. 
7/18/2015 5:23 PM
I propose a change in OOC wins .5 for top 100 RPI win .25 for below 100 RPI
Votes: 13
(Last vote received: 1/21/2016 8:21 AM)
10/8/2015 10:37 AM
Repeating my post here: I was also originally in favor of 0 pts for OOC games and still am. I just feel like it's too difficult to come up with a formula to equalize non-conf results. Is 10-0 vs a #75 SOS better or worse than 7-3 vs a #3 SOS? The better quality teams will have better records in the conference and in post season. Having 0 pts for OOC games eliminates the headache of figuring out how it should be scored and frees teams up to schedule as they wish (which can include conference challenges).
10/8/2015 4:14 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
SUNYAC TURNAROUND CHALLENGE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.