Do you enjoy recruiting in GD? (poll) Topic

Posted by muckraker on 6/30/2015 6:04:00 PM (view original):
Really enjoy recruiting, but it could be shortened a day or two. 
Co-sign. When you nail your class down early, it's a real drag to have to wait 3-5 days for them to show up and be put in depth charts or redshirted. It takes a lot of momentum out of your sails, especially if your class is a good one.

You'd think WIS would be for shortening this, as in theory shorter seasons equal more seasons per year and more revenue per customer, and in this case, it's a good idea. Shorten recruiting by a day or two, and you've got something.
7/5/2015 1:58 AM
It would be nice if the 'in-season' scouting reports you get from the AC actually gave you a real scouting report on the player and gave you a head start advantage in recruiting that player. Right now those in season reports are both worthless and annoying.
7/8/2015 7:37 AM
I just want unlimited redshirts
7/8/2015 3:02 PM
I would like to see 1 list of recruits available to all schools no matter what level the school. Obviously a top level recruit would not consider a D2 or D3 school and it would be foolish to pursue one at those levels. But, how often has a recruit in my vision at the beginning of a season dropped out because of a drop in vision after the season and then not get selected by any school or a recruit 100 miles away not in my vision but is recruited by another school 1100 miles away with no more success than my school has. It has happened a lot. Frustrating. I think this would also make the entire recruiting period interesting. Think about it. A recruit that could play in a higher division could go unselected and fall to 2 levels down. That could be interesting on the last day for those that gambled and waited for a superior recruit.
7/8/2015 3:25 PM
I think JC's would help but shorten the recruiting period to what it used to be.
7/10/2015 12:26 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 7/4/2015 4:34:00 PM (view original):
I also enjoy game planning more than recruiting, but GD has evolved in the other direction. The 3.0 engine is heavily geared toward recruiting. Game planning is meaningless without injuries and meaningful fatigue.

The poll numbers don't lie. The people who are still paying WIS for GD enjoy recruiting. That being the case, there's really little argument for changing it.
I'm actually against implementing injuries, but I will save that for another time.

If you think game planning is meaningless, you haven't been paying attention. A team with better talent will make less mistakes and have a higher margin for overcoming mistakes. A quality gameplan can limit mistakes and close the talent gap a lot more than you think. I agree that a GUESS 40+ team probably won't win a championship, but that's a good thing. That said I've seen several teams win a championship with GUESS rated teams in the late teens.
7/10/2015 4:40 PM
Agreed Orangepace.  Good game planning can absolutely make up for the talent gap at least at 1A and 1AA.  And I concur on the injuries note.  Leave them out and add intra-squad scrimmages during the recruiting down time.
7/10/2015 8:40 PM
I hate recruiting.  I'm pretty good at it when I focus, but IMO it takes too much "focus" all at once.  Those first few cycles are the key and if you miss them, you are screwed.  And having kickers and punters not want to accept CVs?  What bullshit is that?  It drives me freaking crazy.

I don't have any suggestions on improvement, other than being able to recruit throughout the season....that would be interesting.  Say one cycle a day with a limited budget?
7/10/2015 11:22 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 7/10/2015 8:40:00 PM (view original):
Agreed Orangepace.  Good game planning can absolutely make up for the talent gap at least at 1A and 1AA.  And I concur on the injuries note.  Leave them out and add intra-squad scrimmages during the recruiting down time.
I do not agree with this....I do not think that gameplanning can overcome talent gap.  I am thinking your perspective might be a little "skewed" since D1A and to a large extent D1AA don't really have a "talent gap"....just "talent differential".

There are true "gaps" at D2 and those cannot be overcome.
7/10/2015 11:25 PM
◂ Prev 123
Do you enjoy recruiting in GD? (poll) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.