Formula for Study Hall Topic

Does anyone have a formula for the amount of study hall minutes for freshman based on their high school GPA? I've always gone with 10 for all freshman, but would like to try to start maximizing the amount of practice minutes.

Also, all of my sophomores are over 3.0, so wondering if I should give them any study hall time at all.

7/1/2015 9:38 AM (edited)
even Turner So. PG S 3.5 6'0" 186 Loveland, CO thewizard17 Redshirt
Gerald Wingert Fr. PG S 2.9 5'10" 176 San Antonio, TX thewizard17 Redshirt
James Cox So. SG S 3.2 6'1" 185 Greensburg, PA thewizard17 Redshirt
Brandon Marino So. SG S 3.0 6'2" 177 Philadelphia, PA thewizard17 Redshirt
David Scott Fr. SG S 3.2 6'2" 205 Mishawaka, IN thewizard17 Redshirt
Mike Flynn So. PF S 3.2 6'10" 243 San Bruno, CA thewizard17 Redshirt
Joseph Gordon Fr. PF S 2.2 6'8" 230 Arcanum, OH thewizard17 Redshirt
Sammy Sickler Fr. PF S 3.0 6'10" 240 Westford, MA thewizard17 Redshirt
Michael Harville So. C S 3.5 6'11" 255 Eugene, OR thewizard17 Redshirt
Hollis Spurlock So. C S 3.5 7'0" 262 Apex, NC thewizard17 Redshirt
Wallace Juan Fr. C S 3.0 7'1" 256 Swea City, IA thewizard17 Redshirt
Daniel Holbrook Fr. SF W -  
7/1/2015 9:37 AM
I generally only give SH minutes to freshman, and I don't have an exact formula, but start generally between 4-8 and adjust when grades start coming out.  The only time I give minutes to Sophomores-Seniors is if they show up as yellow on a grade report.

There was a thread, or maybe it was in the aejones thread, about a formula where you subtract HS GPA from a number to get a SH minutes amount, but I generally just eyeball it and adjust.

I don't think I've ever actually signed a kid with a 4.0 HS GPA, so I'm unsure if there's ever a case when you could get away with 0 SH minutes for a freshman
7/1/2015 9:59 AM
i go
1-sr
2-jr
3-so
4-fr

and double(or more) if there mid-terms are bad.
7/1/2015 10:02 AM
I've never had a player go ineligible.  I also never knew an exact formula and can only say what I do.

The highest I start with Freshman is 7.  But if they have above a 3.0 HS GPA i will go as low as 4-5.

Depending on the Sophomore I'll give them 2-3 minutes.

And 0 to upperclassmen.

Then I adjust accordingly based on midterms.  Very rarely is a player under 2.0 at midterms.  But even if they are in danger I'll give them a few more minutes.  And if they are basically in the clear, I'll move a few minutes out of study hall.
7/1/2015 10:51 AM
Agree with guyo that the only time you need to give SH time to Sophs-seniors is if they show up as yellow. Tend to add 5 minutes to SH time for a kid that shows up yellow, and have never had a suspension. Freshmen with 3.0 HS GPA's and over start with 0 SH. Below that, might start them with 5 minutes of SH, and kick it up 5 if they show up yellow. Don't like to recruit guys with sub-2.5, unless they have really good potential since HS GPA determines how fast they learn your sets. You can boost a kid from 2.3 to 3.8, but he is still going to learn your sets at the HS GPA rate. So you just need to keep tem eligible; no advantage to raising their college GPA.
7/1/2015 11:06 AM
how much risk you want to take is a factor, but here is a good rule of thumb:
- all sophmores and up, and freshman with a 3.0 or better, get 0 minutes until midterms (this is very low risk and really should be done by everyone who can trust themselves to check around midterms)
- freshman between 2 and 3 you can do 0 till midterms if you can tolerate the risk. but you can also do like 5-10m if you want from the get go. i generally do 0 until mid terms, and generally have no problems except when i forget to check back in. i haven't forgotten to check in like a year, and in that time, i think ive had 1 player flunk out on a team i co-coach (so like 1 in 30-40 seasons or something). if you forget to check in it can be bad though, i had like 1 ineligible player per season for a long time there.
- if  you want to be safe, on occasion with an extremely important soph on like a championship contender, if they are also extremely dumb, ill give them like 5m from the start. ive probably done that like 2x in the last 5 years.
7/1/2015 12:45 PM
A lot of great information here, thanks a bunch guys. This will allow me to maximize the amount of practice minutes. Not much of a fan of wasting my practice minutes on study hall.
7/1/2015 10:51 PM
Not much of a fan of wasting my practice minutes on study hall.

Exactly.
7/2/2015 10:17 AM
If you RS a FR, is there any point to giving them any SH minutes at all?  If they become ineligible, they aren't playing anyway.

7/2/2015 10:54 AM
Posted by kmfloyd on 7/2/2015 10:54:00 AM (view original):
If you RS a FR, is there any point to giving them any SH minutes at all?  If they become ineligible, they aren't playing anyway.

Ineligibles have no attribute growth, therefore the RS will be wasted.
7/2/2015 11:28 AM
Posted by kevodaphenom on 7/2/2015 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kmfloyd on 7/2/2015 10:54:00 AM (view original):

Ineligibles have no attribute growth, therefore the RS will be wasted.
So players don't grow after becoming ineligible?  What about the growth they would have already obtained?
7/3/2015 5:07 PM
I start evert fr. out with 10 minutes each and once grades come out I dial it up/down accordingly and typically continue that trend until I hit 0 or a minimum number to maintain GPA. Lol
7/4/2015 11:03 PM
I wish they would just do away with SH...it's pretty pointless
7/4/2015 11:38 PM
Dean Wormer will have to speak with colonel in his office.
7/5/2015 4:48 AM
12 Next ▸
Formula for Study Hall Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.