best announcers Topic

vin scully? al michaels?? jerry remy, joe castig?? jack buck??
7/8/2015 10:29 PM
Whoever the Mets had with the exception of Lorne brown
7/9/2015 5:18 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Vin Scully is #1 hands down, end of discussion.

For #2, I'd make a case for Bob Costas.

The old 1980's NBC Game Of The Week teams of Scully with Joe Garagiola and Costas with Tony Kubek were top notch.

As a Minnesota fan growing up in the 70's/80s....Herb Carneal was great to listen to.

Hawk Harrelson, Ron Darling, Jerry Remy, Michael Kay, John Sterling and Harry Carray make/made my stomach turn to have to listen to them.
7/9/2015 11:14 AM
Vin Scully. (all time)

The trio the Mets have currently - Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling & Gary Cohen - for the past 5 years or so, have been thoroughly entertaining & informative WITHOUT dumbing down their broadcast, or resorting to cheap gimmicky catch phrases/home run calls.
7/9/2015 12:15 PM
I'd have to put Hawk Harrelson at the top of the list for worst announcers.  Vin Scully is fantastic.  I used to love to find Milwaukee Brewers radio broadcasts on our annual summer trips to Wisconsin when I was a kid, just to hear Bob Uecker.  Not the best, but an old favorite. 
7/9/2015 12:26 PM
Vin is #1; #2 is not even in the same territory.  I've spent my life listening to Vin, and although his age is showing these last couple years he is still at the top of the heap.

Worst: Al Michaels, Tim McCarver, Bob Costas.  Fingernails on a chalkboard listening to them.  Hey Bob: STFU about your personal political/moral opinions.  None of us give a s***. 
7/9/2015 2:26 PM
I liked George Kell calling the Tigers games back in the 70s/80s with Al Kaline doing color.  Kell had a laid back, Arkansas drawl, very pleasing to the ear.  Kaline couldn't pronounce the R in "throw" so it was fun listening to him, too ("Chet Lemon th'ows the ball to Whitaker at second").  Both good guys, very humble for Hall of Famers.
7/9/2015 2:40 PM
Vin Scully is so good that I've gotten my wife (who will watch every Rangers game with me) to not only watch random Dodgers games that I have the opportunity to watch on MLB network, but to actually ask me how Vin knows all the stuff he does. Vin is a gift that I wish my 2 year-old could experience/appreciate.

I really like Eric Nadel (the Rangers radio broadcast voice). He's way better than Busby/TAG but I get stuck listening to them as the radio/satellite don't synch. Milo Hamilton was really great and had some epic home run calls.

I don't know what I'm going to do without Ralph Strangis for my Stars games this year. Ralph and Razor were amazing...so we'll see if Razor connects well with Strader.

Can't stand Joe Buck and loathed McCarver. So of course I had to suffer through Joe Buck for the U.S. Open a few weeks ago!!!
7/9/2015 5:26 PM
In defense of tim McCarver, Norman Chad (yes the guy who announces the world series of poker) wrote an article  during the  1990 LCS that McCarver was over rated.  
So that why he is hated, because annoying people think he's so great.  kind of like that show "Friends" when it firs came out radio shows would have debates whether ross and rachel would ever get together,  but when you watch it now in syndication u realize its a good show.
7/9/2015 7:21 PM
Don't get what's so great about Vin Scully.
7/10/2015 2:33 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 7/10/2015 2:33:00 AM (view original):
Used to hate him to, but when I visited LA and realized that he does the whole game by himself thats when he won me over.
7/10/2015 4:51 AM
Best line from Joe Buck: Mitchell...Mitchell...Mitchell !!!!!!.... MITCHELL!!!!!!.... Down at the 25.
7/10/2015 6:29 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 7/10/2015 2:33:00 AM (view original):
I think that has to do with your age; as I said above, Vin is showing his age but is still a great announcer.  His style is quiet, laid back; he pulls wonderful and esoteric stories from his memory at will, painting a picture that spans time and ties the game of today with the game of the past.  His style is unique; many of us on the site grew up with him and cannot imagine baseball without him.
7/10/2015 10:43 AM
Ernie Harwell. RIP.
7/10/2015 2:37 PM
123 Next ▸
best announcers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.