Police interaction Topic

Playing Devil's Advocate, criminals committing crimes isn't really news.    It's what they do.   You can't expect them to abide the law.    But, goddam, when they break the law we have to make sure no harm comes their way.   Because, if it does, outrage will follow.
8/4/2015 12:53 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Well, to be fair, we know what lions are.   If they're hungry, they might kill you and eat you.    With people, you never know why they might kill you or when.  Odds are they won't eat you.  Police officers are people. 

8/4/2015 1:04 PM
Point is, it's easier to be sympathetic when you know what you're dealing with.

Lion sees a dead animal and say "Hmmm....let me check that out" and is killed.    You know exactly what the lion was doing at that moment and what he's done most of his life.   Looking for something to eat.

Cop approaches car, scuffles and is shot.   We really have no idea what he was doing or what he's done.   We do know he chose to be a cop and, obviously, knew that exact scenario was a possibility.   Why?
8/4/2015 1:13 PM
Posted by moy23 on 8/4/2015 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/3/2015 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/3/2015 7:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by evil_twin on 8/2/2015 9:20:00 PM (view original):
OK, OK, we get it.....

There are two types of people in this world....Those who follow every law, statute, ordinance to the letter at all times every second of their lives without question and those who deserve to be executed on the spot without due process.

Thank you for the clarification, hypocrite.
If that's what you've gathered from this thread, your ability to understand simple sentences is inadequate.
To be clear, I created this thread because I was stopped for breaking the law.    However, unlike the people shot dead by the police, I did what was asked of me.   None of it was difficult or degrading.   Of course, I knew the worst outcome for me would be a ticket for a couple hundred bucks.   The criminals resisting and being shot were looking at jail time.

Seems like a lot of tears being shed for wanted criminals.
No tears were shed for 33 year old officer Sean Bolton this weekend. Not even an honorable mention from the major news outlets. Who cares when a white officer is killed when he pulls over a black felon, right? #onlyblacklivesmatter
Pretty sure it made my facebook feed and I live in Southern California.

I think that even you, moy, can see the difference between the two situations.

It's a tragedy when a cop is murdered. But the killer is usually caught and punished. Other cops don't try to cover up the crime. Prosecutors don't go soft on the suspect. Evidence isn't withheld. No one blames the victim. There aren't huge PR campaigns waged in defense of the murderer.

There is almost always justice.

When a cop murders a civilian, all of those things listed above happen. Even when the video evidence is clear (as it is in the Slager and Dubose cases), people want to give the government (police are the government) the benefit of the doubt.

There is rarely justice.

8/4/2015 1:46 PM

To be clear, we know criminals are law-breakers.   We can't expect much from them.   They made bad decisions before and, when it looks like they might be on the verge of jail time, they will make bad decisions again.    Some of them are getting shot.   None of the "folks", as Obama would say, are paragons of society.   I'm not saying officers should gun them down but I am saying there's a lot of hand-wringing over it when they do.  Outside of their immediate family, law-abiding citizens shouldn't be very concerned about it.   If you're outraged, it's because you want to be.

8/4/2015 2:54 PM
You're stuck on that lion thing, aren't you?

Did a law-abiding citizen hire a guide to track and lure the 5 and 7 y/o into shooting range?   That's the difference.

I'm not outraged over the lion but I understand why some are.   We expect a dentist to do better.   We don't expect criminals firing indiscriminantly into an apartment to do anything but be a criminal.
8/4/2015 2:59 PM
If you're outraged, it's because the media is telling you to be outraged.

Outrage is great for selling copy, or boosting ratings.

8/4/2015 3:00 PM
Not necessarily.   Conservation groups are pretty much dead set against killing big game animals for sport.   As a people, we tend to kill stuff until there aren't enough to maintain a species.
8/4/2015 3:05 PM
I'm guessing that most of the people who have been outraged over Cecil the lion aren't active members of conservation groups.  I'm further guessing that most of them wouldn't have spent more than a moment's passing thought about that incident if it weren't for their Facebook and Twitter feeds snowballing with Cecil outrage and they felt compelled to say "uh . . .ok . . . ME TOO!!!"

The term I heard was "social media tsunami".
8/4/2015 3:10 PM
People like to be outraged.

And, again, it's easier to be outraged over an animal than a person.    We know what the animal's motives were and what he's been doing all his life. 
8/4/2015 3:24 PM
How does the shooting of a black 5 y/o in inner city Chicago affect your wallet more than the shooting of a lion in Zimbabwe?   Cuz, as we all know, your wallet is your priority. 
8/4/2015 3:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...19 Next ▸
Police interaction Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.