Slow down and turnovers Topic

Never thought about it until now, but does going slow down lead to increased turnovers compared to normal? Theoretically, if you're purposely holding the ball later into the shot clock, stands to reason you'd turn it over at a higher% than if you were shooting earlier.
7/31/2015 5:20 AM
No....at least I don't think so....there are two times a turnover is calculated, 1. when the ball is being brought up and 2. before the shot is taken.......I don't think slow down affects either.
7/31/2015 5:42 AM
Interesting. Good stuff. Thanks, Joe.
8/1/2015 1:09 PM
I disagree with TJ here.  I know for slowdown in the NBA sim, what ab90 said is true, and I don't see why HD would be fundamentally different.  I definitely think that slowdown affects/increases turnover rate.
8/1/2015 1:22 PM
I can't find any reference to tempo in the turnover equation  for the NBA SIM engine.....it's number 582 in the knowledgebase....sorry I can't cut and paste
8/1/2015 1:39 PM
I know nothing definitive but i seem to have as many big turnover games in slowdown as i do in normal or uptempo, though that could also be attributed to most of my slowdown games being on the road and/or against the better teams on the schedule
8/1/2015 3:20 PM
I feel like it's common sense and just because it doesn't "say so" doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
8/1/2015 9:46 PM
Even if it did, and I don't think it does, it would be such an insignificant # I don't think it would be noticeable....My NYU team, which was good but not great, turned the ball over about 12 times a game against decent non press teams running normal tempo.......If there was a 10% increase in turnovers due to slow down (which would be a very high percentage) you're talking about less than 1 to per game when you factor in the reduced possessions....Any increase in turnovers is more likely do the reasons why you would choose to use slow down
8/1/2015 10:07 PM
Posted by ab90 on 7/31/2015 5:20:00 AM (view original):
Never thought about it until now, but does going slow down lead to increased turnovers compared to normal? Theoretically, if you're purposely holding the ball later into the shot clock, stands to reason you'd turn it over at a higher% than if you were shooting earlier.
Not if increased pace produces out of control play at times, as it does in real basketball.
8/1/2015 11:14 PM
i notice my teams take care of it better and play more efficient with slow pace, compared to normal pace.
8/2/2015 12:30 PM
I think in real life it probably would against an aggressive man to man defense, but doubt that's the case in this game.
8/2/2015 2:39 PM
The anecdotal evidence, to me, clearly indicates a lower turnover rate (or %) for slowdown.
8/2/2015 4:09 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/1/2015 1:22:00 PM (view original):
I disagree with TJ here.  I know for slowdown in the NBA sim, what ab90 said is true, and I don't see why HD would be fundamentally different.  I definitely think that slowdown affects/increases turnover rate.
Because this isn't NBA sim and its not programmed the same.
8/2/2015 4:17 PM
somebody with more analytical programming capabilities should check this out. i'd be fascinated to know, all else being equal, if turnover% and shooting% were affected by slow vs. normal.
8/2/2015 4:24 PM
Posted by mullycj on 8/2/2015 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 8/1/2015 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Because this isn't NBA sim and its not programmed the same.
I think the event tree is pretty similar....the main difference is the stats they use (ratings vs historical stats).
8/2/2015 7:27 PM
12 Next ▸
Slow down and turnovers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.