Here's a thread where you can post your "bad beats", etc.
8/2/2015 2:22 PM
I'll start...

Re: $110M League 5B

I'd like to rename my squad from Indiants to just plain Idiots, in honor of their owner.  This was the first team I finished, and as such also the team that got the most tinkering during the remaining weeks.  I built, rebuilt, tested, and critiqued them forever.  It was also the first I entered once the deadlines started coming around.  Once they were entered all was forgotten and I moved on to another of the teams.  The overriding theme for my WISC this year is going to be.... "F'n work, get out of the way and let me concentrate on the important stuff."

Sadly work did not get out of the way, so I scrambled to get teams in at each of the deadlines though still felt decently confident they would each compete (except for Frank Robinson, who I've already penciled in for 65 wins tops).  I should have known something was wrong when the $110M commish sent me a sitemail on Thursday saying my team didn't meet all the rules.  I was in a cab when I read it and something didn't compute, I swear I double and triple checked all the entered teams.  Oh well, I must have just missed something.  Went into the site, and immediately saw the error (red flag #2, way to simple of a mistake to have just missed initially)...  So, on Thursday morning, I'm sitting in an airport trying to get the team right (which was way too easy by the way - red flag #3).  I get everything fixed, send the new team in, sitemail schwarze and the league commish, but in the back of my head something still feels wrong.  In all of this time, I did not even look at the lineup I was messing with (just tweaked the bullpen) - and I guess it's halfway explainable on Thursday dealing with hacks, TSA agents, etc... but everything up to that point, I have no excuse.  Way too long of a story for the simple bottom line, I entered the wrong team in the league.  Didn't even notice it until yesterday evening, and then didn't believe I screwed the pooch so badly.  What could I have been thinking?  I even started trying to talk myself into the JV squad.  Even worse, it wasn't even really the second best of what I had put together.  Grrrrrrr.....  This is going to be a loooooong damn WISC tournament, and even more likely a very short one. 

I guess one positive in all of this (though not for me) is that I was 100% more upset about finding this gaff than when I screwed up a work presentation that was (arguably) more important in the grand scheme of things - most likely due to trying to vet the worst MLB teams from the last 45 years (thank you $90M theme).  I think that's a testament to the pillar of WIS that schwarze has built with his tournament and for that we should all thank the man for the time and effort it takes to put it all together each year.  I have a feeling it's one of those things we'll all take for granted to some extent until that first year when it's gone...so let's start this 'Sound Off' thread with one big:

Thank you Schwarze! May I have another?

P.S.  Looking at that correct $110M team sitting in my Draft Center just makes me sick to my stomach...

8/2/2015 5:11 PM (edited)
I was going to post a poll to see which owner would post here first after tomorrow mornings games.  Never thought somebody would post today.  Just for snicks, you should check other 110M teams to see which roster is most like your "correct" team and follow that team to see how you "might" have done. 
8/2/2015 4:54 PM
By the way, last year, zlionsfan beat me by 46 minutes on the first post after the season started...

Quote post by zlionsfan on 8/4/2014 7:16:00 AM:
Checking high-cap to low-cap: $120M loss, $110M loss, $100M loss, $90M loss ... I don't think I've ever gone 0-6 in the first cycle (kind of amazing given my overall record), but it crossed my mind.   Fortunately, $80M and $70M both won. but still.

Quote post by schwarze on 8/4/2014 8:02:00 AM:
0-6. I may need to start recruiting people to be commissioner in round 2
8/2/2015 4:58 PM
I think I see where I'll need to hit the waiver wire.
8/3/2015 4:48 AM
3-3.  Teams I was afraid might be garbage and teams I thought might contend all played to expectations.
8/3/2015 9:28 AM
1-5.....Joss gets pounded in $80 mil league....it's over...what are the themes for next year?
8/3/2015 9:33 AM
Words I thought I'd never read... "Quinton McCracken drives in the winning run" ... but I'll take it (and why, again, is Quinton McCracken on one of my teams? ummm...)

8/3/2015 9:38 AM
20 inning opening day game has wiped out my bullpen
8/3/2015 9:59 AM
I'll take 4-2 in first set of games. All games decided by 2 runs or less. 13 inning game in $70M league has caused bullpen fatigue already. Only drafted about 1230 innings or so. Not good.
8/3/2015 10:32 AM
Is WIS going to create a sortable standings page like https://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/WISChampionsip2014.asp for this year's tournament?
8/3/2015 10:36 AM (edited)
I probably should figure out a word for this and add it to the WISC lingo thread...but I am pretty sure that the probability that one of your opening games goes deep into extra innings, depleting your pitching staff, is inversely proportional to how many innings you drafted.
8/3/2015 10:33 AM
Posted by ozomatli on 8/3/2015 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Is WIS going to create a sortable standings page like https://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/WISChampionsip2014.asp for this year's tournament?
Yes.  It usually takes a week or two.  I sent admin the info this morning.
8/3/2015 11:18 AM
ah the 16 inning pitching wrecker, they should create a setting that allows us to choose what inning to forfeit after....it'd be before inning 16 i can assure you!
8/3/2015 12:35 PM
I don't think saying I thought my 120M team would "likely be my most successful" in the forums was looked at too kindly by the sim gods. Sparky has now brought my mop up in in both (close) games and I have lost both.
8/3/2015 1:31 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.