From low d1 to mid major Topic

So i started at a D prestige d1 school and after this season I'm confident that the prestige should move to C or by luck C+ would it be wise to stick where I am or look for a mid major job if one pops up... Typically how hard is it to move to a mid major... I read how hard it is to move to bcs territory but what about a small jump to a mid major?
8/3/2015 2:35 PM
It's pretty easy to make a small jump to a mid-major that's fallen on hard times. If you want one that's been winning lately, that's a bit tougher. 

As far as whether it's wise, it depends on the situation. If you want to go big six, you're going to need consistent NT appearances. If you're by yourself in a small conference where you can basically guarantee an NT bid every season, that's a pretty good way to get up to B- prestige and nab a better job. If there are 2-3 quality human coaches fighting for bids, you're better off going to a place with higher baseline prestige and the same 2-3 quality human coaches fighting for bids. 
8/3/2015 2:40 PM
Well, I have a fairly competitive coach within the conference that i've struggled so far in the CT. I have been able to swindle some PT bids but not an NT yet, however I have only had 1 full class graduate and seem to be tipping the tide in the conference. I scheduled REAL hard next season for non-conf to see what happens as far as RPI and NT chances if I dont win the CT. I do feel that a good bounce to a baseline C school or better may not do me bad. Maybe into a more human driven conference to prepare myself for a big six jump? My goal is the Big Ten, any job and eventually Mich St. That is my quest
8/3/2015 7:28 PM
Honestly, looking at the lay of the land in Smith, I think I like where you are. There aren't a lot of low-major teams in Louisiana, and you should be able to get some quality players and start making some NTs. The A-10 and MWC look like they will be a much bigger challenge without a lot of payoff. I think if you can stay there, make the NT a few times, and maybe move to a low big six job like Minnesota, or even one of the Mississippi schools, you'll be better off than starting another rebuild at a mid-major first. JMO
8/4/2015 12:38 AM
If I was you I would stay low until a big six gig.
8/4/2015 12:52 PM
I feel as if you guys are right, as of right now i'm longshot / keep looking to mississippi jobs and not qualified for purdue/minnesota the 2 open big 10 jobs. The only job that tempted me so far is the temple job. High human conference and a baseline of B prestige when I looked it up. Currently sitting D+ so some real hard times on that college. However i'm going to stick it out for a few more and see if I can swoop in on purdue/mississippi or maybe if I'm lucky minnesota.... Thanks everyone!
8/5/2015 1:18 AM
From low d1 to mid major Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.