Season 100 Blog Topic

First of all I am gonna pat myself on the back. I kind of predicted that nobody would fall out of the top 32. I gotta say Millersville falling all the way to number 8 surprised me.
In any case, the preseason is over, lets play real season ;)

Here are my lines for the first round.
Disclaimer: as always I don't put huge amounts of time into putting these lines and researching the teams. Furthermore - as always - I never make lines on my own games.

North

NCCU -10.5 vs Northern State
Not a particularly lucky draw for overall number 1 NCCU. I was gonna give less points, but then I remembered the pounding Virgina State took yesterday.

Bryant -6.5 vs Kentucky State
After spending most of the season around the bubble Bryant ended up a 4 seed after all.

Ferris State -8.5 vs Arkansas Monticello

Millersville -28.5 vs Northwestern Missouri State
The only game in the north, where I expect the game to be completely sown up at the half.

South
Western State (CO) -22.5 vs Texas A&M Commerce

East Stroudsburg -9.5 vs Long Island

South Dakota State +6.5 vs Delta State
This is the first game where I put the line in favor of the lower seed. SDSU really did not play anyone so far other than Humboldt. Delta lost a few early in the season, but has also some ok wins on the resume. Then again also some questionable losses.

SEO vs Humboldt State
The same record, but vastly different competition to get there.

East

Minnesota Crookston -21.5 vs Truman State
With all respect to Trumans very considerable improvement, the first trip to the playoffs in 25 seasons will still end in slaughter.

Lock Haven +4.5 vs Glenville
This is an interesting one. I do not want to underestimate bball (I am 0 for against him), but Glenville still has more talent

Carson-Newman -7.5 vs Colorado-Mines
Mines is very experienced this season (20 Seniors), but CN has been developing really fast lately.

Valdosta State -12.5 vs Abilene Christian

West

Quincy -18.5 vs Kutztown
Quincy still carries the mantle of PSAC killer. Alas the team has zero Nattys so far (like mine). But there is a fair chance that the region will bring to PSAC matchups again.

Grand Valley State +7.5 vs Virginia State

Mansfield -11.5 vs West Alabama
First playoffs in a small eternity for WAU. Managed to hang surprisingly well with some of their betters. But Mansfield for now still belongs among those betters, and was actually not far away from winning its PSAC division.

Indiana (PA) -17.5 vs Central Arkansas
Hard to say if UCA would be here or not, had they not pulled out that last second win over UWA or the overtime victory over W Georgia. Managed to keep it fairly close vs Western and Millersville earlier in the season (10/18 points). But I don't think this means coach lyonzfan is shivering in his den.
8/25/2015 5:30 PM
After the first round the North is Really Tough.  
8/25/2015 6:57 PM
Posted by mojolad on 8/25/2015 6:57:00 PM (view original):
After the first round the North is Really Tough.  
Hey!  I get possibly Kutztown, VA State, Indiana PA and, if I run that gauntlet, Minnesota-Crookston....

So cry me a river!!!
8/25/2015 9:31 PM
Round 1 is in the books. Quite a few games were a lot closer than expected, several on the other hand had beatings you cannot show on tv without advising viewer discretion.

Round 2:
North

NCCU -9.5 vs Bryant
NCCU keeps impressing. Bryant had to mount a 4th quarter comeback vs Kentucky State.

Millersville -10.5 vs Ferris State
Same story: Millersville beat the snot out of NMSU, Ferris was down 24-7 at the half. That is a deficit they could never make up vs a team like Millersville, so they will need to start better.

South
Western State (CO) -6.5 vs East Stroudsburg
Western struggeled a bit more than predicted while things were easy for ESUP. On top of this ESUP was feisty all season. Western has more talent, but this one could be interesting

Oklahoma Durant vs Delta State
Both teams dispatched their NCC oponents without too much ado.

East
Minnesota Crookston -12.5 vs Lock Haven
I had bball as an underdog last round, and he produced his usual magic. But agains the brute force of talent UMC wll bring to town, it will be difficult to repeat the feat.

Valdosta State vs Carson Newman: pick'em
Both had solid wins and are neighbours in my preseason rankings. Both teams play oposite styles (run first vs pass first). This will be a fun one to keep an eye on. I feel a shootout coming, since I think both teams defenses are not well set up for the opnents strenght.

West
Quincy -10.5 vs Virginia State
From a pure talent perspective this might be the game of the day, alas it is still unlikely to be all that close: This is a rematch from day 3, and that one did not go well at all for V State(40-3).

Indiana (PA) -5.5 vs Mansfield
These conference foes missed out on each other in the regular season only to meet in the playoffs. Mansfield made a run, but failed. Indiana conquered. It should be close, but a betting man would likely expect the same result

8/26/2015 5:33 PM
Dachmann for Editor of the Year
8/26/2015 9:12 PM
There were some truely exciting games today. 5 of 8 were within a touchdown at the half, and 7 of 8 within 2 touchdowns. And it all ended with a series of blow outs.
only one underdog winning (and not in a game where the dog was within a touchdown at the half either).
So now that most remaining teams have gone had their first semi-real test, smiling time is over. Only serious teams remain. With that we get to the regional finals:
North
NCCU vs Millersville pick'em
Hard to make out a big favorite in the WIS number 1 vs the defending champ. NCCU won pretty much on its final drive vs Bryant, being helped along by winning the turnovers. Millersville did a bit better defensively, but it wasn't exactly a blowout either.

Western State (CO) vs SEO Durant
The clearness of the previous round might be a bit misleading. Both teams excelled after the second half. But before halftime SEO hadn't scored a TD and Western was down 7. Then again maybe the results were not misleading. This is a rematch of last seasons semifinal, these were my preseason teams number 2 and 3, and I don't think either coach is happy with this quarter final draw.

East
Minnesota Crookston -5.5 vs Valdosta State
UMC also only led by one at the half and then took off, plowing lock haven with 60 playson the ground.. Valdosta broke the halftime deadlock with awesome numbers through the air. We are likely to see a clash of styles again, with Valdosta trying to ride its 5500 yard passer to the upset.

West
Quincy -8.5 vs Mansfield
There was only one teamwho had zero problems, and it was Quincy who raked up more than 600 yards of offense. But Mansfield might be a bit tougher test. This is a battle tested team, whos only losses came by 4 and 1 points, and who has just found a way to overcome a passing minded PSAC winner Indiana despite a 9 point half-time deficit and losing the turnover battle. Chances are that the winner will be the one who can stop the other from passing at will.
8/27/2015 3:22 PM (edited)
As much as it kills me to say this but my pick from the beginning was Quincy. Any team that can average 600 YPG while the next best team averages 546 has something really
strong going for them. 

8/27/2015 6:04 PM
All 4 games should be very good.  Both the North and South games are such that they could just as easily be mistaken for title matches.  GL to all.
8/27/2015 8:27 PM
I also have thought all season that  Quincy has the best team. 
8/28/2015 12:24 AM
I am starting a RS sophomore QB.......that is not ideal.....
8/28/2015 1:18 AM
The final four are upon us.

NCCU vs SEO Durant.
If my team won I  was gonna get revenge no matter what: either for the final last season or my defeat earlier in the OOC vs NCCU. Millersville was a failed 2 point conversion away from taking this to overtime, but NCCU, because they managed not only to pass, but also to run when necessary. SEO won its game primarily on special teams. Let us see how this encounter will go. NCCU won 29-22 earlier this season, not in small part thanks to winning the turnover battle 3-0

Quincy vs Minnesota Crookston.
Both teams won their quarters quite comfortably. While UMC did quite ok running, it was super efficient and explosive passing. With Quincy I am still waiting for a team that proves you can pass on them, nobody has made any headway through the air so far.

8/28/2015 3:53 PM
My money is on Brygold. Someone give me odds.
8/28/2015 9:11 PM
Mojo:

Quincy -43

I will put $1 on UMC.
8/28/2015 10:46 PM
I expected Brygold and Dachmann to win. Alas. GG All !
8/29/2015 2:54 PM
I am not surprised by UMC's victory. In fact I expected it. My last two games were against both NCCU and UMC. I didn't just get beat I was slaughter by both. Going in I did not think I had a chance against UMC but even though I was #32 and NCCU was #1 I thought there was a slight chance of an upset. I was gravely mistaken. Still I think the UMC is more talented and I see them winning by more than 14, I was hesitant to say anything for fear of a jinx. Don't think that will happen.
8/29/2015 5:32 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Season 100 Blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.