Academic Non-Qualifier Question Topic

I just picked up a transfer that was a D1 Academic Non-Qualifier. I am in D3.  Will he be eligible for his 5th year in D3?  If so, what GPA does he have to maintain?
8/28/2015 7:50 PM
fairly certain he will be able to play this year so wont have a 5th yr. He will need the same gpa as any player
One more thing to cover before moving on is recruits that are listed as ineligible.
•In DIII, this means nothing, as DIII recruits need only to have a 2.0 GPA to be eligible.
•In DII, this means that the player will sit out his first year as a non-qualifier. He will be listed on your roster, and take up a scholarship, but he will not be allowed to practice with the team. After this season, the recruit will have 4 years of eligibility remaining.
•The situation is the same in DI, with one exception. The player will receive his 4th year of eligibility only if he has achieved a 2.7 cumulative GPA going into his 4th eligible year.

Also, it's important to remember that you are taking another risk when recruiting non-qualifiers at DI and DII. These players may choose to attend a Junior College as opposed to sitting out a season. In this case, you would still be able to recruit this player again the following season, with a head-start due to your prior relationship, but you will be forced to take a walk-on.

8/28/2015 8:16 PM (edited)
Thanks TJ.  But I think you misunderstood the situation.  The player was originally a DI recruit and has already sat out his first year at the DI level. I did not recruit him as an ineligible.  I just need to know if he will be able to play his 5th year at the D3 level and what GPA he has to maintain.
8/28/2015 8:24 PM
Interesting question....how many years does he show eligible for should be an answer
8/28/2015 8:28 PM
It says 2 years eligibility, but not sure if the 3rd year will be available if he attains a certain GPA or not.

Player profile

8/28/2015 8:33 PM
You should get three years out of him: Jr. Sr. Sr./5
8/28/2015 8:38 PM
He will have his 5th year senior.  However I do not know if the GPA requirement is any different and if so, what it is.  But you will have "2" senior years a senior year and then his 5th year of eligibility.
8/28/2015 8:39 PM
I think you'll get 4 years out of him, his soph-sr/5 seasons, and I don't think he needs to maintain any gpa requirements at D3 to get him to stay his sr/5 season.
8/28/2015 8:41 PM
That's good to hear.  Thank you all very much.
8/28/2015 8:59 PM
Hey Ovaltine, did you end up getting to keep the player for his 5th year? I have an exact situation and would love to get a definitive answer...
1/20/2016 11:39 PM
There are presently 2 SR/5 in D3 Wooden. Probably in other worlds too, but not Phelan. Here's one: George Matthews
1/22/2016 11:55 AM (edited)
i have had a sr5 in d3.  pretty sure there is no gpa requirement
1/21/2016 1:08 PM
To my knowledge, any ineligible who finishes his "senior year with a 2.7 gpa or higher gets a 5th year.
1/21/2016 5:22 PM
Posted by 43tj on 1/21/2016 5:22:00 PM (view original):
To my knowledge, any ineligible who finishes his "senior year with a 2.7 gpa or higher gets a 5th year.
That misses the point.  The 2.7 GPA requirement only applies to DI.

A freshman starting at D3, there is no eligibility requirement.  So an ineligible signed by a D3 only gets FR - SR (1-4).
A freshman inel. starting at D2, has to sit out Year 1, but is eligible for a SR/5 season with a 2.0 GPA.

This thread deals with an ineligible, originally signed at D2 or D1, that already sat out year 1, then transferred, but was signed by a D3.  Answer: they are eligible for an SR/5 year.
1/22/2016 11:51 AM
Academic Non-Qualifier Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.