I've been playing for about a year and a half now and just noticed something today.  I played my first exhibition game and did not have a K or a P because I was recruiting both.  I look at the box score and in addition to going 26-38 for 265 and 3 TD, my QB also punted 4 times with an average of 32.5 and made 3 FG with one being a 47 yarder.  I know the punting average isn't great, but I've seen SIM AI punters do worse.  Part of me wonders why did I bother to recruit any kind of kickers?
8/29/2015 10:50 AM
I have also seen posts where a team has only one kicker, and I believe they said it was successful with him doing both jobs.
8/29/2015 10:18 PM
Most elite coaches go with both, so that's enough for me. Also, even FR punters will usually average over 40 yds.

Similar to real football, I think field position is extremely important and not worth the risk just to get one more position player. Just my opinion.
8/29/2015 11:44 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 8/29/2015 11:44:00 PM (view original):
Most elite coaches go with both, so that's enough for me. Also, even FR punters will usually average over 40 yds.

Similar to real football, I think field position is extremely important and not worth the risk just to get one more position player. Just my opinion.
I agree about field position.  I just thought it was funny that my QB was able to do all of that, especially the 47 yd FG.  I play at D3 and FR punters don't average 40 yds per punt.   My new recruit just played his first exhibition game today.  He averaged just about the same that the QB did yesterday.  It's pretty much moot now since I signed a FR K and P and will have them for the next 4 seasons.
8/30/2015 10:16 AM
I would evaluate the depth of the kick offs because as chetty mentioned field position is key, especially in tight games. If the ko's are consistently shallow you may find your opponent drive starts close to midfield. I think the kicking game is so important that I have considered redshirting a punter to insure a strong kicking game. jmo
9/10/2015 11:46 AM
I don't think it is important enough to be using 1 of your limited RS's on a punter or kicker.  Important yes....but having better players at other positions is much more important IMHO, and will help out with field position by moving the ball on O or stuffing the opp on D.  
9/10/2015 12:53 PM
I've periodically redshirted a punter or kicker the season before both departed for my team. This way I don't feel like I have to battle for one of the best if I can get them cheap the season before. Also I firmly believe in the advantage of field position but I'm old school.
9/10/2015 1:05 PM
It is always easy to get decent punters and kickers cheap. Redshirt DL pay far better dividends
9/10/2015 2:47 PM
Posted by badaxe on 9/10/2015 2:47:00 PM (view original):
It is always easy to get decent punters and kickers cheap. Redshirt DL pay far better dividends
What Badaxe said with the exception of expanding what position to redshirt. I redshirt whatever position works for me. I will always a qb I recruit as much to get the extra formation iq before he sees the field as to get the bump on his attributes. But I never redshirt a kicker or punter. Like the man said they are cheap and plentiful. Heck , I have picked up some kickers or punters for as little as one assistant coach scouting trip.
9/10/2015 9:08 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.