September call-ups Topic

Getting a little ahead of myself but I want to be prepared when the time comes - I have some questions about September call-ups when the rosters expand.

I assume the player gets a temporary big-league contract.  Does this revert to a minor league deal after the season ends if he was a September call-up?

Is there something I have to do to indicate that he is only getting the big money until the end of the season when he presumably goes back to the minors?

Do I have a deadline to send him down again before the next season begins, or is it automatic?

Am I burning through any options when I call a player up for September only?

I just want to make sure that I am not costing myself anything besides a month's salary for each player I call up.  Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction on these questions!

8/31/2015 10:25 AM
You have to specifically send him down the the minors before rollover for his contract to revert to a minor league contract.  If you wait until after rollover, it will renew as a major league contract with a salary of $343k.

In order to be called up to the majors, he has to be on the 40 man roster.  Having him on the 40 will burn an option year.  So if he was already on the 40, the option year has already burned.  If you are adding him to the 40 for the first time in order to call him up, then that action itself will burn the year.

Also, if he's out of options, then in order to return him to the minors he will have to clear waivers.  So if you do a call-up for a player with no options remaining, you do run the risk of exposing him to waivers unless you plan to keep him on your ML roster next season.

8/31/2015 10:57 AM
Got it - sounds like the last part is the only real risk, assuming I don't forget to send someone down before the rollover.  Thanks!
8/31/2015 11:00 AM
I think they should give all franchises the opportunity either the last day after the world series or the very first day after the roll over to send people back down. If you are in the World Series and have brought up a player to help in the WS but would rather he start the next season at AAA, you should have the chance to send him back down without incurring the minimum ML salary. 
8/31/2015 11:59 AM
Posted by jwynkoop2424 on 8/31/2015 11:59:00 AM (view original):
I think they should give all franchises the opportunity either the last day after the world series or the very first day after the roll over to send people back down. If you are in the World Series and have brought up a player to help in the WS but would rather he start the next season at AAA, you should have the chance to send him back down without incurring the minimum ML salary. 
If you're in the World Series, spending an additional $288k in salary the following season seems like a small price to pay.
8/31/2015 12:03 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/31/2015 12:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jwynkoop2424 on 8/31/2015 11:59:00 AM (view original):
If you're in the World Series, spending an additional $288k in salary the following season seems like a small price to pay.
Plus, if it's a player who deserves to be on a winning playoff roster (25 guys) for the World Series, moreso than the other 15 guys on the 40 man roster who didn't make the cut, what is he doing hanging out at AAA?  Scott Boras would be filing a grievance for sure. 
9/6/2015 4:52 PM
September call-ups Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.