Conference Re-alignment discussion Topic

it shouldnt be an issue - except for coaches who worked hard to get to certain schools and are unhappy with the move....
9/1/2015 6:16 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 9/1/2015 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 9/1/2015 12:35:00 PM (view original):
NPB - just a quick note. You may be working off a more up to date list of current D1 teams (and my apologies if you are) but by my accounting you appear to be missing someone. Your numbers reflect 350 D1 teams and last season there were 351 teams (www.kenpom.com or www.sports-reference.com/cbb/ among others). I'm not sure who is missing, and again you may be working off a list updated after the end of last season but If not I wanted to make sure you were aware.
Thanks possum,
Weird, I can't find that missing team yet.    Hopefully it's a team that just moved up from Div-2, and not a big-name school?

Can anyone identify the team?

* puts popcorn in microwave *
Having had the chance to look at it in a little more detail, I think it's Illinois St. 
9/1/2015 7:33 PM
Posted by possumfiend on 9/1/2015 7:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 9/1/2015 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 9/1/2015 12:35:00 PM (view original):
NPB - just a quick note. You may be working off a more up to date list of current D1 teams (and my apologies if you are) but by my accounting you appear to be missing someone. Your numbers reflect 350 D1 teams and last season there were 351 teams (www.kenpom.com or www.sports-reference.com/cbb/ among others). I'm not sure who is missing, and again you may be working off a list updated after the end of last season but If not I wanted to make sure you were aware.
Thanks possum,
Weird, I can't find that missing team yet.    Hopefully it's a team that just moved up from Div-2, and not a big-name school?

Can anyone identify the team?

* puts popcorn in microwave *
Having had the chance to look at it in a little more detail, I think it's Illinois St. 
Ok, thanks!

So, put Illinois State in the Missouri Valley.
Move Oral Roberts to the Sun Belt.
Move UT-San Antonio to the SWAC.
Remove UT-Pan American to the unused pile, along with NJIT and UMass-Lowell.
9/1/2015 11:28 PM
Awesome thread...I'm just hoping none of you are doing this on company time.
9/2/2015 11:54 AM
same issue as always when these threads pop up. 

Got bored looking at the different proposals, but just on the link that the only submitted there are 6 teams that are bounced from big 6 conferences to also rans.

How do you convince potentially 60 different paying users who built their career to get to a big 6 conference, maybe spanning a couple years of real-time experience and maybe a couple hundred bucks investment, that they are now in the A 10 or Horizon and that's ok? Offer them credits? Let them get ****** and quit? I don't see Fox and WiS doing either of those...
9/2/2015 11:54 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 9/2/2015 11:54:00 AM (view original):

Got bored looking at the different proposals, but just on the link that the only submitted there are 6 teams that are bounced from big 6 conferences to also rans.

How do you convince potentially 60 different paying users who built their career to get to a big 6 conference, maybe spanning a couple years of real-time experience and maybe a couple hundred bucks investment, that they are now in the A 10 or Horizon and that's ok? Offer them credits? Let them get ****** and quit? I don't see Fox and WiS doing either of those...
I mean WIS isn't going to do this or anything so it is all hypothetical and doesn't matter what happens or how it would work it's just fun to mess around with.

I mentioned for mine anyways, I gave priority to better performing teams for conferences.  That's why you see VCU, Xavier, Utah in their correct conferences, compared to schools like VT, BC, Seton Hall.

I personally think it is more unfair to fans of those schools that they can't really play as them since its sucks and is "impossible" for some to be any resemblance of good.  And thats why I knocked down VT, Seton Hall type schools so VCU, Utah type schools can get the benefits they deserve, compared to VT/Seton Hall coasting along.

9/2/2015 12:16 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/2/2015 12:16:00 PM (view original):

I mean WIS isn't going to do this or anything so it is all hypothetical and doesn't matter what happens or how it would work it's just fun to mess around with.

I mentioned for mine anyways, I gave priority to better performing teams for conferences.  That's why you see VCU, Xavier, Utah in their correct conferences, compared to schools like VT, BC, Seton Hall.

I personally think it is more unfair to fans of those schools that they can't really play as them since its sucks and is "impossible" for some to be any resemblance of good.  And thats why I knocked down VT, Seton Hall type schools so VCU, Utah type schools can get the benefits they deserve, compared to VT/Seton Hall coasting along.

I feel ya, and a lot of that makes sense, but yeah, even if there wasn't the unhappy customer issue I doubt WiS would change this stuff...but for many reasons these plans (yours and the other ones here) are all logical and reasonable, just impossible to implement
9/2/2015 12:23 PM

The solution would be to make the new American Athletic a major conference, allowing (in my scenario) for Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn to remain in the "Big Six".   Rutgers, an original AAC member, but which I placed in back their original A-10 home, could flip with Temple of the American.  

So Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn maintain their Big Six status ("Big Seven" I guess), and as an added bonus there will be 8 additional teams added to the "Big Seven", which would be the other American Athletic schools... Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, East Carolina, South Florida and Central Florida.  

Notre Dame would be the only team ending in a worse spot, in their Horizon home of the 1980's, but we can probably figure out a solution to that.  Give me a few minutes.
9/2/2015 2:08 PM (edited)
Actually, the "Big Seven" would also be adding Butler, Xavier and Creighton from the Big East.   And TCU would join the Big 12.   There should be a net gain of 12 new "Big Seven" schools for every conference added to the "Big Seven".  
9/2/2015 2:26 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 9/2/2015 2:08:00 PM (view original):

The solution would be to make the new American Athletic a major conference, allowing (in my scenario) for Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn to remain in the "Big Six".   Rutgers, an original AAC member, but which I placed in back their original A-10 home, could flip with Temple of the American.  

So Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn maintain their Big Six status ("Big Seven" I guess), and as an added bonus there will be 8 additional teams added to the "Big Seven", which would be the other American Athletic schools... Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, East Carolina, South Florida and Central Florida.  

Notre Dame would be the only team ending in a worse spot, in their Horizon home of the 1980's, but we can probably figure out a solution to that.  Give me a few minutes.
There are a couple of issues with the Notre Dame proposal that are worth mentioning that I think make it hard to justify:

1) since 1985 (when the field was expanded to 64) Notre Dame's basketball program has made the NCAA tourney 16 times. There are at least 33 HD "big 6" schools with fewer RL appearances during that time including:
Alabama, Arizona St, Cal, Clemson, Colorado, Florida St, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kansas St, LSU, Miami, Minnesota, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, Oregon, Oregon St, Penn St, Seton Hall, South Carolina, USC, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington St, and West Virgina;

2) Notre Dame men's basketball has NEVER been a member of the Horizon league. Other sports were, but men's basketball wasn't. The basketball program has always been either independent, part of the Big East, or now the ACC.

At the end of the day, I really don't care one way or another about realigning conferences, it's kind of fun to look at but it would be a never ending battle to get right. I still think the work you did was pretty good though.
9/2/2015 4:16 PM
◂ Prev 12
Conference Re-alignment discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.