Weekly overreactions Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2015 9:31:00 AM (view original):
NEBRASKA?!!?!??!?
Maybe Auburn.
12/1/2015 9:47 AM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 12/1/2015 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by macdee on 11/30/2015 7:29:00 PM (view original):
4 out of the 5 teams will have 1 lose and will be conference championships. But I also meant to said as of today.
Seems like a pretty big piece to leave out. One of those teams wont be a conference champion. 

Also we shouldn't care who is in today as the playoff isn't today. All that matters is that they get the right 4 in at the end. 
One loss conference champions will be in.    The only possible exception could be UNC if they upset Clemson.   Then I could see a Stanford/UNC/Clemson debate.    No idea how Clemson could win that debate so it would come down to UNC/Stanford.    And then the mighty SOS might come into play. 
12/1/2015 9:57 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2015 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kneeneighbor on 12/1/2015 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by macdee on 11/30/2015 7:29:00 PM (view original):
4 out of the 5 teams will have 1 lose and will be conference championships. But I also meant to said as of today.
Seems like a pretty big piece to leave out. One of those teams wont be a conference champion. 

Also we shouldn't care who is in today as the playoff isn't today. All that matters is that they get the right 4 in at the end. 
One loss conference champions will be in.    The only possible exception could be UNC if they upset Clemson.   Then I could see a Stanford/UNC/Clemson debate.    No idea how Clemson could win that debate so it would come down to UNC/Stanford.    And then the mighty SOS might come into play. 
or they put Ohio State in
12/1/2015 12:46 PM
Can't see it.   Leaving out one Power 5 is one thing, it's going to happen, leaving out two seems unlikely.    At least at this point.   Especially since OSU doesn't have a strong resume' either. 
12/1/2015 1:09 PM
To make the argument, OSU has a win over Michigan and nothing.   UNC would have a win over Clemson AND a conference championship.   And they'd be able to use OSU's argument last year.   "Yeah, that was a bad loss but it was early and we've developed as a team".    OSU can say nothing but "Yeah but......"    And, honestly, the win over Michigan isn't all that good.   Michigan has wins over OSU's opponents and got beat by Utah.   And Utah got beat by everyone of note but Oregon(who lost to MSU who beat OSU). 
12/1/2015 1:42 PM
OSU is only getting in if Clemson AND Bama lose.  If only 1 loses I see either UNC/Stanford getting in depending on who looks better in their last game.
12/1/2015 2:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2015 1:42:00 PM (view original):
To make the argument, OSU has a win over Michigan and nothing.   UNC would have a win over Clemson AND a conference championship.   And they'd be able to use OSU's argument last year.   "Yeah, that was a bad loss but it was early and we've developed as a team".    OSU can say nothing but "Yeah but......"    And, honestly, the win over Michigan isn't all that good.   Michigan has wins over OSU's opponents and got beat by Utah.   And Utah got beat by everyone of note but Oregon(who lost to MSU who beat OSU). 
losing to South Carolina is terrible.  Losing twice isn't very good, especially when of those losses was to a team that finished 5th in the Big Ten. 

I'm not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't totally write OSU out in that scenario.  It is also far from a given that Stanford actually beats USC.  USC has no shot at the playoffs, which would certainly open the door a lot more for OSU if Clemson or Bama loses as well.

I do think Michigan St. probably has to beat Iowa for OSU to be in the discussion, be too hard to put OSU in over MSU (but not so hard to put OSU in over Iowa).

12/1/2015 3:03 PM
OSU's best shot is Clemson, Bama, Stanford and Iowa lose.    Then you have conference champs UNC, FL, USC and MSU.   The ONLY gimme in that group would be MSU.  And one could assume OK is in.   That's two spots taken and a bunch of warted up teams for the other two.   I think that puts UNC in, as they're the only one of the group of 10-12 who have been piling up W's down the stretch, and a huge debate amongst the rest. 

Clemson
FL
Bama
USC
Stanford
Iowa
OSU
OK State
Baylor
TCU
ND

All of them could make a case over the others in that group.
12/1/2015 3:10 PM
Saw this argument somewhere else, and knew some of you would "love" it.

Since it is universally accepted that Home Field is worth at 3 points, and both Notre Dame's losses were on the Road by 2 points, they should be considered undefeated and the #1 seed to win the Championship on Neutral fields.

I thought guys here loved to grasp at straws then defend them to the death, but this is worse than anything, ok, most anything, I've seen here.
12/1/2015 5:21 PM
committee putting UNC at 10th pretty much means they won't make it in even if they beat Clemson, unless they put an absolute beating on them.  You know something like what OSU did to Wisconsin last year. 
12/2/2015 8:53 AM
I still think you read too much into where they have teams now and not where they'll end up.   Teams that moved up, OSU, FSU, TCU, Ole Miss, Northwestern, and have no games left, can only move up with losses by others.   If those 5 teams don't remain in the same order in the next poll, with no activity, I'll have to say either A) the committee doesn't know what it's doing or B) their thought process is completely foreign to me.
12/2/2015 9:17 AM
IOW, if any of those 5 teams were to make the playoffs, it should be OSU.    I don't think that happens unless all of the favorites lose but FSU/TCU/Ole Miss/Northwestern should NOT move ahead of OSU.
12/2/2015 9:18 AM
Assuming MSU beats Iowa and if UNC beats Clemson in a close game, I think both Clemson and UNC are going to be behind OSU.  The question is, will Stanford with a win over USC jump OSU and into the playoff.  That is what it would come down to.  I'm not sure the committee will overlook Stanford's losses, but wouldn't be surprised if it did.  I don't see anyway Stanford and OSU aren't 4th and 5th in some order in that scenario.  UNC would be ahead of Clemson.  Iowa would probably be behind both.  So if MSU, UNC, and Stanford all win, I think I would predict it will be 1. Bama, 2. MSU, 3. OU, 4. Stanford, 5. OSU, 6. UNC, 7. Clemson, 8. Iowa.  Though could easily see OSU and Stanford flipped (I think you could make a strong case for MSU at #1 as well, which would then set-up the Big Ten/Pac 12 and SEC/Big 12).  If Florida beats Bama or Stanford loses, then OSU gets into the playoffs with a UNC victory and I'm not sure the Iowa/MSU result matters as I think OSU would make it in over MSU in that scenario (despite the head to head, the loss to Nebraska just won't be overcome in that scenario).
12/2/2015 10:56 AM
Something ridiculous would have to happen for the SC to leave out two Power 5 conferences.   Winner of MSU/Iowa is in.   That's the gimme.  If the other favorites lose, OK is in.  A 2nd gimme.   If Stanford wins, I don't think they're getting left out(USC would).    So, IMO, it would come down to Bama, Clemson, OSU, UNC for the last spot. 
12/2/2015 2:24 PM
Without a lot of craziness, OSU is left out.    Partly due to expectations.    They were basically told "Play well 3 times and you're in".   They played poorly in their first test and don't get to to take the 3rd test(CC). 
12/2/2015 2:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...44 Next ▸
Weekly overreactions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.