Weekly overreactions Topic

Posted by moranis on 11/25/2015 8:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/24/2015 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Here's the thing.    People yap about the SEC having cupcake weekend.  They do.    But, in every conference, who has a "big win"?    Technically, OK will have three.   Over B12 opponents who have big wins over other B12 opponents.    Even if you have the odd MI/Utah, BAMA/WI or MSU/Oregon game, it's one game.   All teams are going to get the majority of their big wins over conference opponents.   Then people will say "Yeah, Bama beat Wisconsin and who?  Other SEC teams with 2-3 losses.  So what?"   It applies to every conference. 

If OSU played their annual cupcake, B10 schedule and three SEC opponents who just happened to be SC, KY and Vandy, who would they have beat?

Yeah, but it is the non-con games when you can separate yourself as a conference from the rest of the conferences.  That is why those games are so important because you play 8, 9, or 10 games against your own conference those 3 or 4 other games are very important.  That is why all teams should at least play 1 other major opponent in the non-con.  The Big 10 saw the need and is actually requiring all of its schools to do that.  You do well in those games and on the whole your conference is improved.
Beating Oregon was a notch in the B10's belt.   Beating VaTech was not.
11/25/2015 8:07 AM
Truthfully, Bilema's idea isn't half bad but it needs to be expanded on.  But, rather than 1 game, make it two and include all Power 5 conferences.  That way you could have your GA/GaTech, FL/FSU and SC/Clemson games(I think that's the annual SEC non-con rivalry games unless KY/Louisville is now one with Louisville in the ACC) then balance it out.

Say Clemson wins the NC.    SC already has them on the schedule so SC would then get a home/away series vs a BC/Oregon St/Maryland-type in 2016/17.  Essentially a 1/64 balance.    Of course, this leaves ND scrambling a little but, in the end, that's their problem.

But good luck getting schools/conferences to agree to that.

11/25/2015 8:39 AM
To me, CFB is more like boxing than MMA.   Boxers have always protected their record by scheduling people they feel they can beat.   OSU scheduling VaTech is akin to Tyson fighting Buster Douglas.   Douglas isn't bad but he's not the #2 guy.   And, sometimes, the "not bad" guy pulls an upset.   In MMA, OSU is playing Bama in the very near future.    They'll sort it out on the field very soon.  CFB doesn't schedule that way.

And I know you scream "SOS" at every opportunity but teams want to make the playoffs.  The best way to do that is to win their conference and protect their record in the non-cons. 

11/25/2015 8:46 AM
Va Tech was winning the ACC when OSU scheduled that game though.  OSU and OU play next year and the year after.  OSU also has TCU in 18/19, Oregon in 20/21, Texas in 22/23, and ND in 22/23.  Who the hell knows the strength of those opponents by the time those games actually roll around.  Heck in 2023 OSU's other game is Boston College.  Its entire schedule will be power 5 schools (and ND) as the Big Ten is going to 9 conference games next year. 
11/25/2015 9:09 AM
No one cares what they were doing when the game was scheduled.    You only get credit for beating the team on the field today.     Maybe don't schedule games 6-7 years into the future if you want a strong schedule.
11/25/2015 10:32 AM
True that nobody knows how good any team will be in over 5 years, and consideration should only be given to how good teams are now, but scheduling Power 5 or other "known" FBS teams should certainly be given more credit than scheduling FCS or "lesser" FBS teams.
11/25/2015 10:58 AM
One thing is clear. Tennessee is the greatest 4 loss team in NCAA history.

They had leads in the last few minutes, and if not for a few bad coaching decisions really should have beaten 2 of the current playoff 4.
11/25/2015 11:16 AM
TN should fire their coach.  That worked so well with Fulmer. 
11/25/2015 12:23 PM
Or. Maybe not been so anxious to get rid of him.

And hire a cheating, lying douchebag. Then panic hire a complete moron.
11/25/2015 1:08 PM
Maybe LSU should look at Tenn. as a cautionary tale.
11/25/2015 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/25/2015 10:32:00 AM (view original):
No one cares what they were doing when the game was scheduled.    You only get credit for beating the team on the field today.     Maybe don't schedule games 6-7 years into the future if you want a strong schedule.
I was commenting on the post directly above mine where you basically called Virginia Tech Buster Douglas.  At the time the game was scheduled Virginia Tech was more like Evander Holyfield.  Sure the Va Tech that took the field this year was terrible, but that was never Ohio State's intention when the game was scheduled.
11/25/2015 1:18 PM
That was a fine series of moves from TN. 

GA has been dying to fire Richt for 3-4 years.   I'm not sure if they've looked at TN and said "Hmmmm.....I don't know" or if they just haven't found the right guy.

With Chip Kelly seemingly done in Philly and his "show cause" deal expiring after this season, I guess he's going to be a hot commodity in CFB.

11/25/2015 1:19 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/25/2015 1:18:00 PM (view original):
I was commenting on the post directly above mine where you basically called Virginia Tech Buster Douglas.  At the time the game was scheduled Virginia Tech was more like Evander Holyfield.  Sure the Va Tech that took the field this year was terrible, but that was never Ohio State's intention when the game was scheduled.
It probably still fits.    VaTech at their best was still way below a good OSU team.    There are programs that are immune to extended mediocrity(except Michigan which made no sense) and programs that overachieve from time to time.   VaTech is one of those good but not great programs while OSU gets on top and stays there awhile.

I'm sure you don't think, when OSU scheduled those games, that they thought VaTech would win.   They scheduled a mid-level Power 5 for the same reason a top-level Power 5 wouldn't have accepted a challenge from OSU:   To protect their record.

The path to the playoffs, until proven otherwise, is A) be undefeated  B) win your conference. 

11/25/2015 1:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/25/2015 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 11/25/2015 1:18:00 PM (view original):
It probably still fits.    VaTech at their best was still way below a good OSU team.    There are programs that are immune to extended mediocrity(except Michigan which made no sense) and programs that overachieve from time to time.   VaTech is one of those good but not great programs while OSU gets on top and stays there awhile.

I'm sure you don't think, when OSU scheduled those games, that they thought VaTech would win.   They scheduled a mid-level Power 5 for the same reason a top-level Power 5 wouldn't have accepted a challenge from OSU:   To protect their record.

The path to the playoffs, until proven otherwise, is A) be undefeated  B) win your conference. 

At the time the game was scheduled, to call Va Tech a mid-level power 5 school is just ridiculous.  Va Tech was coming off a stretch when it won 3 of 4 ACC titles (and had played in 4 of the 5).  

Va Tech's fall was fast, but it certainly couldn't have been predicted.  

Ohio State has future games with Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Christian, and Notre Dame.  Apparently you are the only one that thinks schedule doesn't matter. 
11/25/2015 1:37 PM
For ****'s sake, if you think VaTech was ever referred to as a "perennial powerhouse", you're insane.    They were just as likely to be where they are now as an ACC conference winner.    BTW, I tell my ND buddy the reason ND is doing the 5 games vs ACC is because they'll be forced to join a conference eventually and the ACC is the easiest of the Power 5.    And that's why OSU scheduled VaTech instead of going after a Bama/LSU series.

Would you care to list who everyone else is scheduling?   Do you think Baylor gives a **** about their non-con schedule?   Clemson?   TCU?    Florida State?   Bama?   LSU?

Apparently you and OSU are the only ones worried about non-con games.    Everyone else says "You know what?  If we go undefeated and/or win our conference, we're getting a spot at the table."

11/25/2015 2:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...34|35|36|37|38...44 Next ▸
Weekly overreactions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.