I took a break from the game for a while and am still finding out about some of the changes that have been made since being gone, so, forgive the stupid questions from time to time.

Do you not receive bonus recruiting money for winning your conference and for playoff wins or did I get screwed this past season? Also, it seems like the rewards points are way low, even given the world population. Am I missing something on these?
9/8/2015 1:41 PM
Welcome back. Reward points are definitely way too low, not even any vaseline provided by Whatifsports.
9/8/2015 2:37 PM
Only bonus recruiting cash you get is for playoff games played by each conference member in D1AA, D2 and D3 or bowl games in D1A.  The amount doesn't seem to jive with what's in the FAQ though (seems to be alot more than what's listed and then split 12 ways (its almost not split or they worded it badly).

As for reward points, I have to agree with you as I just won the NC at D1AA in Heisman and didn't even get enough reward points to cover the season that was used to win it.
9/8/2015 3:33 PM
WIS kind of reminds me of Roger Goodell.     Doing everything they can to ruin a good thing.      Reward points are incredibly low, lack of importance on running game, etc
9/8/2015 3:51 PM
Maybe some lessons on supply and demand are in order. If the league participation is low, maybe they need to lower their prices or up the rewards.

I won my conference and lost in the second round of playoffs in DIII and only got 265 reward points. Unless I'm reading the chart wrong, I should've gotten 600.
9/8/2015 5:02 PM (edited)
And they put a time limit on referral credits!!  Spend that $1 in 90 days or lose it. 
9/8/2015 5:02 PM
Posted by dboltz70 on 9/8/2015 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Maybe some lessons on supply and demand are in order. If the league participation is low, maybe they need to lower their prices or up the rewards.

I won my conference and lost in the second round of playoffs in DIII and only got 265 reward points. Unless I'm reading the chart wrong, I should've gotten 600.
Reward points are prorated to the percentage of occupied jobs in a given world. Most worlds are around 25-33% full, so reward points are prorated to those levels.
9/8/2015 5:44 PM
yea its a rip off for sure. A national championship should be an automatic free season plus points
9/12/2015 12:17 AM
Posted by raider45638 on 9/12/2015 12:17:00 AM (view original):
yea its a rip off for sure. A national championship should be an automatic free season plus points
  A Mighty DITTO to that !
9/13/2015 5:33 PM
Yeah, I don't quite understand the inconsistencies between dynasty games. In HBD, if you even get to the world series but don't win it, you get enough $$ credit to buy another season.
9/13/2015 5:36 PM

Bump, I just realized they were prorating the rewards points, so I decided to check my rewards history. I got 839 points in Dobie for winning a Level 5 bowl (effectively half off for a season). I won a national championship at D3 in Warner and got 1334 points. What that means is I could win the national championship every single season in that world and I'd be losing money. Needless to say, if there are effectively no rewards points this kills the game for me, as it will everyone eventually. Having full worlds helps attract more players, so clearly they need to keep the most active players around but are screwing it up.
8/3/2016 3:59 PM
Posted by z32fanatic on 8/3/2016 3:59:00 PM (view original):

Bump, I just realized they were prorating the rewards points, so I decided to check my rewards history. I got 839 points in Dobie for winning a Level 5 bowl (effectively half off for a season). I won a national championship at D3 in Warner and got 1334 points. What that means is I could win the national championship every single season in that world and I'd be losing money. Needless to say, if there are effectively no rewards points this kills the game for me, as it will everyone eventually. Having full worlds helps attract more players, so clearly they need to keep the most active players around but are screwing it up.
I understand the frustration but this is the only game, that I'm aware of, that offers reward points. Most any other game would be $10-12 / season and you get nothing for winning. Additionally, why should they award coaches for winning worlds where there are more SIMS? It's not very hard to take over a program and be successful in a world filled with SIMAI coaches. Not saying that's you...but if the reward system wasn't prorated, some coaches would just take the easiest path possible. At least with this system, it prevents that from happening and keeps things competitive.
8/3/2016 4:10 PM
Posted by cjsweat on 8/3/2016 4:10:00 PM (view original):

I understand the frustration but this is the only game, that I'm aware of, that offers reward points. Most any other game would be $10-12 / season and you get nothing for winning. Additionally, why should they award coaches for winning worlds where there are more SIMS? It's not very hard to take over a program and be successful in a world filled with SIMAI coaches. Not saying that's you...but if the reward system wasn't prorated, some coaches would just take the easiest path possible. At least with this system, it prevents that from happening and keeps things competitive.
In Dobie there are 110/612 coaches, so the rewards are especially low. What good does it do to have 500 empty teams? Nobody wants to beat up SIMs all day, if 200 more people were playing for free, the entire thing would be more enjoyable and paying players would stay longer. Honestly, eliminating D-IAA all together would probably be a better option, considering it has to be the least occupied division in every world and just drives down the % of occupied teams.
8/3/2016 7:11 PM
With college football and the nfl getting ready to start up now would be the time to do a big marketing blitz. First season is free for new users, x% off a 10 pack of seasons etc. but wis/fox isn't interested in any of that.
8/4/2016 9:01 AM
Posted by z32fanatic on 8/3/2016 7:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjsweat on 8/3/2016 4:10:00 PM (view original):

In Dobie there are 110/612 coaches, so the rewards are especially low. What good does it do to have 500 empty teams? Nobody wants to beat up SIMs all day, if 200 more people were playing for free, the entire thing would be more enjoyable and paying players would stay longer. Honestly, eliminating D-IAA all together would probably be a better option, considering it has to be the least occupied division in every world and just drives down the % of occupied teams.
There are coaches on here that like beating up SIMS. Some have been here since engine 1 and still won't schedule human coaches.

Sure, we might be able to technically have more coaches if the game for free but you would incredibly weaken the product.

1. Periodically, they will offer the game for free as a promotion. Whenever this happens, a plethora of new coaches join and leave after one season. A few coaches stick around for one more season but then grow tired of the game and leave after their second season.

2. When a new coach joins WIS, and actually has to pay $12, they tend to be more active. Anyone who pays does so with the intent of getting a ROI. Obviously, this return is not a financial return but an entertainment return. These coaches tend to actually seek out advice, ask questions and spend time gameplanning. Thus resulting in a better product.

3. Go find other games that are free and let me know what the competition level is like. I've seen about a dozen other games and nothing really matches WIS.

4. WIS was bought out by Fox because Fox saw a product that was generating income. Great businesses don't sell their products for free.

Additionally, getting rid of 1AA would be about the worst decision WIS could make. The main reason I even found WIS is because my alma mater is 1AA and there aren't many games offering the ability to play with lower tier schools. If WIS gets rid of FCS, I would be willing to bet that several long-time coaches, including myself, would leave.

Now, to your point, I do fully believe WIS could and should invest more in promoting this game. Why not do one promotion in August/September and then another in December? Right now, the game has a bowl system, and while I appreciate the BCS, it's outdated. Why not program a playoff into 1A and then push the game during September or December? No other game has a playoff. Fox Sports Go will actually broadcast several college football games this season. Why not have some promotional banners on the side of the screen during those games? So, I do think there are lots of advertising and promotional opportunities that are simply ignored by WIS and Fox. However, I don't think making the game free or getting rid of 1AA will solve any problems.
8/4/2016 9:40 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.