I've had a ticket in for this but no response.
Are double plays handled in the sim based solely on the range and def of the middle infielders? If not, the key question is whether right handed batters are programmed to ground into more of them than lefties, as I assume is true in real baseball. Does anyone here know?
Thanks!!
9/10/2015 4:37 PM
To my knowledge, there isn't much agreement (or definitive data) on what actually influences double plays, unfortunately. 

There's some good info in the thread "Meet the super-range team" that you can search for. (Sorry, for some reason posting links in WIS doesn't work for me).
9/10/2015 6:26 PM
Convental wisdom is that the range of the pivot man affects the chance of a DP. I haven't noticed that righties are more susceptible to a twin killing.
9/11/2015 2:14 AM
Just got a response from the admins. Interesting:

The sim looks at a variety of factors for whether a ground ball can be turned into a DP:
how hard was the ball hit
how fast are the runners on base
how fast is the hitter (including whether from left or right side of the plate)
fielder's range (for the throw)
fielder's range (for the pivot)
game situation (score, inning, outs)

All things equal, RH should hit into more DP than LH.
9/11/2015 2:12 PM
Does the Sim take into consideration how many double plays the batter hit into in real life for that season? I think DPs are primarily based on the range of the fielders and perhaps the speed of the runners on base as suggested.
9/11/2015 9:23 PM
Have a Rusty Staub Vs. Joe torre, league.  AL teams have rusty bat 2nd, Nl Torre, or maybe bruce Bochte  vs willie Horton
9/11/2015 11:59 PM
Posted by mlent on 9/11/2015 11:59:00 PM (view original):
Have a Rusty Staub Vs. Joe torre, league.  AL teams have rusty bat 2nd, Nl Torre, or maybe bruce Bochte  vs willie Horton
Lost me on this one
10/1/2015 3:29 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.