java help needed Topic

I think that would work on Mac OS before the most recent large upgrade. The impression I get from searching online is that Apple's newest OS blocks Java 7, the way Chrome (for Macs, anyway) does now. On previous OS versions, including the one I need to upgrade from soon, we get two warning boxes — on the first we have to decline a Java upgrade and on the second click a box acknowledging the security risk. Google seems to have successfully banned Java from running on Chrome (v45 and later) and it appears Apple is just doing the same thing. I don't know whether Apple blocking it would affect all browsers (I just checked on Firefox and it appears that won't work) or just Safari, but I fear the former.

Ticket has been bumped up.
2/11/2016 2:12 PM
I am running mac os Yosemite, 10.5.5. and am playing Live using an old version of Java.
As I posted earlier, when I upgraded I was unable to play live. With some help, I was able to trash the newer Java and re-install the older version.
I'm pretty sure you can still download it. It's now called "legacy".

There are ways around newer operating systems. For example, when I upgraded I found that the new iMovie was a piece of **** and I hated it.  And not only that, but it was unable to find or load old unfinished projects in the earlier version. After doing a little bit of research online I found a discussion where people with the same problem had found a way to revive the old iMovie. It had never really been removed, it was just lying in a folder somewhere and could be brought back to life if you followed a few easy steps. 
2/11/2016 2:47 PM
I'm using Yosemite also but have to upgrade soon for work. The Apple support page with instructions for restoring Java 7 links to a page that has Java 8 and this message:

Java SE 7 and Java SE 6 updates

Updates for Java SE 7 released after April 2015, and updates for Java SE 6 released after April 2013 are only available to Oracle Customers through My Oracle Support (requires support login). 

----

The Java 7 link on Oracle's Legacy page takes you to a page with this message:

Oracle's Java version 7u25 and below have been disabled by Apple on OS X. Updating to the latest release will allow Java to be run on Mac OS X.
---
dahsdebater's solution will work for PCs and might still work on Macs. But Apple has been threatening for more than a year that it would eventually block all access to Java 7, and it appears that day might have come with the release of El Capitan. I'm not as computer literate as dahsdebater but can usually find my way around technological roadblocks, and have been unable to find either a copy of Java 7 anywhere online or a definitive answer about how completely Apple has blocked it. I've got 5 progressive teams about to start, and want to find out before I have to upgrade in a couple of weeks. I would imagine someone who plays live has a Java 7 install hanging around, but that won't do any good if Apple has gone from warning against using it to not allowing it.

2/11/2016 11:20 PM (edited)
The guy I work with runs all Apple stuff, always has the beta software (including OS upgrades), so he's had some time with El Capitan by now.  I can ask him if he knows anything, though I don't think he has any incentive to seek legacy Java.  He's also on a plane for Saudi Arabia for a conference right now, but he'll be back next week...
2/11/2016 11:56 PM
I honestly don't even remember how I did this, but I actually have both 7.76 and 8.45 installed right now.  The Java 7 Control Panel actually works such that I can disable Java 7 but still use the Java 7 security settings.  So right now I have only Java 8 enabled, but I still have the security settings that allow me to run LIVE.
2/12/2016 12:01 AM
Had to figure that out because when I worked at the national lab with Java 7 enabled they kept banning my physical address from the wireless networks.
2/12/2016 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info!
2/12/2016 1:50 AM
I'm so lost right now. Wish I knew stuff about computers
2/12/2016 11:35 PM

How long does this have to be an issue...cmon WIS! This is years of BS and soon no system will support live.

2/17/2016 2:47 PM
support directed me to this page to download Java 7:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Mine is working so I'm not gonna mess with it, but hopefully this will work for people who can't find Java 7 right now...
3/1/2016 3:19 PM
1st question: Would LIVE work on Java 8.1? it came out this year.
2nd question: I got a new computer so I don't want a virus right away. I'm at the Java installation page that Whatif linked me and it says "allow program to make the following changes to this computer". Should I accept? I don't want viruses or any extra programs I don't need.
3/2/2016 11:25 PM
you wont get viruses or extra programs.
3/3/2016 12:14 AM
And no, Live won't work on any Java newer than version 7.
3/3/2016 12:19 AM
Where can I get Java 7 then if LIVE won't work on JAVA 8?
3/3/2016 8:50 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/3/2016 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Where can I get Java 7 then if LIVE won't work on JAVA 8?
try the link in my post a few back
3/3/2016 8:51 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
java help needed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.