Knight D3 Season 87 Topic

Pretext, I did have this finished and attempted to post yesterday afternoon, but it would not let me post so I had to send a support ticket in, there was something wrong with the "formatting" of characters I used even though I typed with word like I normally do.  So sorry it wasn't posted yesterday when I had finished it.  As well as not having any formatting right now

Here we are, right before season 87. Let's see how things are looking going into the season. The WIS pre-season rankings have been released and I think they are fairly decent as usually you get some head scratchers in the top 10 who really aren't that good (no offense). 

Here's a quick analysis of the rankings:

1. Webster
Not a stretch coming off a season where their only loss was the final 4, and some insane level of perimeter talent, this is a very accurate ranking they are easily in the 1-5 ranking discussion.

2. Manchester
Another ranking that is 100% plausible, mattster returns a very strong group of seniors. I do not know what mattster runs zone wise or if he changes a lot, but there is the flexibility to run both the 2-3/3-2 based on having a strong Center and a SF with rebounding skills. Will benefit and probably receive a 1 seed due to tough sos and likely contending for a top rpi as well.

3. US Coast Guard
cmoli is back after 2 down seasons with many underclassen the Coast Guard is ready to make a splash(I though that was quite funny). Great depth and multiple 80+ scorers both in the lp and per categories. They are a little weaker on the ath side, so I may say they would fit better in the 6-10 range, but thats before looking at how the rest of the world stacks up as possible that 3 ranking does indeed make a lot of sense depending on the outlook of Knight.

4. Wartburg
This is where I start to see some teams that don't belong. tcole recruited a solid class, but not the #4 team, and I don't think anyone is expecting irishdomer to make a deep run, or last that long there. Team at best is probably a 2nd round exit. Maybe a fringe top 25 pre-season ranking, but little or small chance of finishing ranked, or eve staying ranked for long with a tough non-conf.

5. La Verne
Nice to see Chew having La Verne rebuilt. Super class is strong and while the "key indicators" aren't exactly there(ath/def) the other ratings are superb such as rebounding and above average in both lp and per. I think again like US Coast guard they maybe fit more 6-10 or 11-15 range at the moment with out seeing the rest of Knight.

6. Drew
Sad to see dtm leave Drew, but a growing lack of interest in the game caused dtm to drop some teams. He left behind a talented team, but the future is a bit uncertain. D_noonan is a very unproven coach but does have a S16 early in his career. I would def put the potential higher than some of the other coaches we could've seen here. Again another team I think is more 6-10 or 11-15 range on talent. But could easily see them being a top team in Knight based on the talent and unproven but hints of solid coaching by d_noonan.

7. NYU
Would've been surprised without TJ here. Yet again TJ is a major competitor for the NC. This time I think he has a very high chance, I think he recruited very close to perfect for this offense with McKee and his 99 LP for sure to tear up Knight as well as Reed's deep threat ability, to go along with TJ's always strong defense. Could've made a case for a top 5 pre-season ranking

8. Ramapo
Another school just finishing rebuild mode, shelmen is new to Knight as well, and while not having the illustrious recognition of Chew, a very solid record outside Knight. This could be a surprise team, they have multiple key areas that you need for an elite team in the rebounding, LP, and Per scoring area's. As well as solid ath/spd/def. They are a little light bh/pas but it's a D3 FB/Press team. They might be a dark horse team depending on how good shlemen can be, I might have even given them a top 5 pre-season ranking.

9. Upper Iowa
An odd team, a solid coach, great players, and yet they always disappoint. I don't know if it's the weird FB/Man combo or what but it is an interesting case. Again some great talent, a few stud athletic players. Should be another solid season. I agree with the 9th spot here, maybe drop to the 11-15 range based on the "disappointment" factor.

10. Waynesburg
Some nice talent however I don't think they put it all together. They have 2 elite per threats, one is exceptional with the other areas, but one isn't much else besides the per. A few LP threats, but no rebounding. I think they will have a solid season but it looks like more of a 1st/2nd round team. Would've ranked around 16-20 or 21-25.

I think some under ranked teams I will just give shout-outs too are:
• Curry(lost piman, but ksukerwin is a great replacement) ~6-10, 11-15 range
• Mississippi College, duece is back albiet a bit of a depth issue, but would've given 11-15 range
• Cal Tech a bunch of juniors but they are talented and a great coach, another 11-15 range
• Menlo(lost mikemang) pkit is unproven and never really stayed put, but the talent is there 16-20 range

Screwed:
• Becker, seriously do they not know Becker? 11-15 range
• New England, some depth issues, but enough Sr's to make a solid season out of it, 16-20 range
• CMHMS, aejones could coach a squad of 12 walk-on's to a S16. never leave him out, 16-20 range
• Colorado, seriously does WIS not know anything(I mean yes theres an algorithm I assume that makes these rankings), but you can leave out Colorado, 11-15 range
• La Grange, kyle has the superclass hitting upperclassmen status, they won't be out before the S16. 11-15 range
• Greensboro, superclass back up to hitting upperclassmen status as well, maybe not as dominant as past noah teams, but 21-25 range
• Ferrum, enough seniors to combat the high freshmen count. Talented and will get S16. 16-20 range

Probably some others I missed but you get the point.

Well I guess you came here to read my final four predictions(I mean I hope, otherwise I'm not sure why you came here)

Final Four teams(no order)

Webster
86 funngun10 33-1 8-0 18-0 7-1 16-0 4 6 29 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Final Four)

Makes it back to F4, with elite play from Hamilton and just too many Per threats.

Weaknesses? High ath high tempo teams could cause problems, but only the upper echelon of those teams could.

NYU
86 Trentonjoe 29-3 11-0 13-2 5-1 16-0 10 7 23 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Sweet 16)

TJ gets there with the elite offensive production from McKee and Reed.

Weaknesses? Elite press teams will always hurt TJ(maybe wrong on this statement), but those triangle/man teams are just at a disadvantage to elite press teams and Knight is just full of FB/Press teams ready to knock of NYU

Becker
86 carlbuzz 35-0 14-0 12-0 9-0 16-0 1 2 11 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion

Yes the team with 1 PG on the roster and that same PG is the only upperclassmen guard on the team. Then why did I pick them you ask? Insane defense throughout the zone which kills the FB offense D3 Knight loves. As well as Carpenter being an insane offensive and defensive big man.

Weaknesses? Well the obvious lack of guards is concerning. As well as the lack of spd coming from the guards that are on this team.

Manchester
86 mattster24 20-8 6-3 14-3 0-2 12-4 14 8 A+ NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)

Just like Becker this zone will run hurt those FB teams as well as Manchester having that elite offense from multiple areas.

Weaknesses? No real true PG right now.

And a tidbit to talk about myself. McMurray is probably in for a rough non-conf I scheduled very tough to combat my weak conf, but my team probably cannot take the pounding. Going to stack up a bunch of losses earlier on, until my freshmen can hit B- IQ and my juniors near the end of their development. Paulson, Parker, and Selby are a solid core for a nice season 88 however.

Enjoy and good luck everyone, hope you enjoyed this, I tried to put a bit more effort into it, since my quality has been lacking recently! Any comments and suggestions are welcome!!
9/16/2015 12:46 PM
Great job as always. Except you forgot to mention Piedmont college in your final 4 predictions!!!
9/17/2015 9:10 PM
Nice write-up. I agree with my team not being a top 10 team. I had to recruit 6 guys, so I think the lack of depth hurts. It's tough to predict the final 4, as all the top teams seem to be pretty even. There's not 1 team that sticks out this season, but I'll take my chances on La Verne winning it all.
9/18/2015 12:53 PM
my vote goes to menlo...not only do they have some very nice wins, they spanked my team, holding me to only 14 points in the second half, and 29% shooting for the game. 14 points, thats ridiculous! worst shooting performance i ever had in hd
9/19/2015 6:10 PM
That's crazy
9/20/2015 11:19 PM
Well lets see what did we learn from non-conf play?

The biggest thing is that maybe Becker isn't a 1st choice pick for NC contention, they can still go far and it wouldnt surprise many, but I don't think we can keep them as a top choice atm.  Otherwise there wasn't too much we didn't know sure they're a few teams that look good on paper, but a closer look kinda exposes them as "pretenders" and a few teams that don't look as good because they are a bit behind those "inflated" teams.

Would probably switch Becker out for La Verne at the moment.  La Grange is close with a nice jr/so superclass however.
9/21/2015 4:44 PM
La Grange is pretty solid. I think it's USA South best team. And it can only get better as the season progress. I am playing Kyle today, I will see what Ferrum can do.
9/24/2015 8:33 AM
Thanks for the love, guys. Ferrum beat me in OT, but Zorzii’s got a solid program. My only other loss so far is a 2-pointer to #1 Manchester. We will see how this team is looking after the CT. 
9/28/2015 2:36 AM
What do you guys think of Mississippi College, duece has the team performing extremely well.  Was not expecting this good of a team.

Cal Tech is interesting too, some big wins(5 rpi twice, 12 rpi 30,) then losses to 50 and 68 and 2 solid teams(blown out by menlo) could either pull of a good run or a surprise early exit, hard to tell

Not sure what is wrong with NYU, thought they were a F4 team

La Grange should have everyone worried for next season when they go full beast mode. as well as prob getting S16 or better this season
9/30/2015 2:44 AM (edited)
The coach of NYU is incredibly busy....
9/30/2015 10:58 AM
I don't see my Mississippi squad getting past the S16 this year 0nly. This team is what makes this game so confusing to me, all I know is they've scored more points than the other team each game so far and it would be nice if that continues!!
10/1/2015 7:03 PM
La Grange and Greensboro are both Young teams. They will show what to expect next year. Ferrum has peaked and we got put to our place losing to Noah, KBC and Bond, the last three games of the season. Some games were close but still, you need the little ones to push and we truly had a bad recruiting season...

We could bring three teams to the Sweet Sixteen in our conference.
10/2/2015 7:41 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/30/2015 2:44:00 AM (view original):
What do you guys think of Mississippi College, duece has the team performing extremely well.  Was not expecting this good of a team.

Cal Tech is interesting too, some big wins(5 rpi twice, 12 rpi 30,) then losses to 50 and 68 and 2 solid teams(blown out by menlo) could either pull of a good run or a surprise early exit, hard to tell

Not sure what is wrong with NYU, thought they were a F4 team

La Grange should have everyone worried for next season when they go full beast mode. as well as prob getting S16 or better this season
La Grange is Final 4 bound THIS season. I actually think they have to be in the conversation to win it all. Look at the teams he's demolished. He needs good matchups, of course. I think La Grange is vulnerable to very particular matchups that can exploit poor free throw shooting. But aside from that, it's going to be blowouts though the tournament bracket. USA South will have 3 or 4 title contenders next season. Watch out, So Cal. 
10/2/2015 2:16 PM
I need to prove you wrong. Doubtful though lol
10/2/2015 5:24 PM
Sorry I didn't do  bracket I was out this weekend.

Middlebury! WOW, mwittlief must be kicking himself. Sim in the final 4 such a talented team, they are the favorite against Manchester!

Same to mikemang who missed the renewal on his Menlo team, who now is in the final 4

I think we see Mississippi College verse Manchester and Manchester winning it all.

I would love to see what would happen in Middlebury wins it all though
10/4/2015 2:37 PM
12 Next ▸
Knight D3 Season 87 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.